Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
When cycles collide (Read 1433 times)
GrooveMeister
CH.com Newbie

London UK
When cycles collide
Jun 14th, 2012 at 5:45pm

Hi all,

The characteristics of my headaches seem to change pretty much every cycle. Sometimes subtly, sometimes far from it but the major theme seems to be:
Left side appalling - 8 or more 10s a day for a 2 month peak of a roughly 3 month cycle.
Right side relatively 'mild' - 1-3 a night for a couple of months, nothing more than the occasional 8, tired but pain free during the day. Sometimes, gasp, 8 hours of glorious, blissful sleep.

My annual bouts have all been right side for the last 3 years.

It all started again a few weeks ago, right side again and, if anything, milder than it has been previously.

Until last night.

Once more rudely awoken after an hour or so of sleep for a manageable 6. This is all to be expected thinks I when, after about 30 minutes, I begin to realise it's migrating over to the left. 5 minutes later I can't feel any pain on the right but I'm howling at the moon in a way I haven't been for years 'cause my left side is ferociously painful. I'd forgotten just how bad it can be. Sadly, now it's reminded me, I think it still has more to offer. For want of a better word. I had two more during the night, one right and one left, the leftie being significantly more painful than the right.

It's like I have two beasts who usually like to take turns but the master has decided to come show the apprentice where it's going wrong.

I've been completely fine during the day up until today when work was on and off shadows of varying degree but no full on hits. Sure feels ominous.

Not really looking for any advice (although please feel free!), just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this.

I also want to say, although I rarely post here, this site is a constant source of therapy for me. Just reading others' tales. Whether they be of woe or not. You've all kept me going through many a dark night.

Cheers

Steve

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: When cycles collide
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 9:18am

Still a consistent "right sider" after 34 years so no help for you there. Have you tried melatonin for the night time hits? It's an over the counter sleep aid here in the states. Start with 9 mg about 30 minutes before you go to bed. Some go as high as 18 mg to get relief, you have to play witht he dosing a bit. Some have found the best results by splitting the dose in half, one half standard release one half extended release, helps them get thru the whole night. Doesn't work for everyone but many can avoid the night time terrors by taking it.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

GrooveMeister
CH.com Newbie

London UK
Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 2:26pm

Hi Joe,

Thanks, no I haven't. Looks like it's fairly straight forward to get it here in the UK. Too late for tonight sadly, I'll see what I can find tomorrow.

Could really use something now. Definitely taken a turn for the worse since last post. Had a monster at work, neck's been really bad since it tailed off, struggling to hold my head up. Dreading the weekend. Couldn't get a doctors appointment 'til Monday and ran out of O2. I'll have more tomorrow. Finding myself getting really down at the prospect of the next few months and it hasn't really got going yet. Work at least seem pretty understanding. First cycle in this job.

It's creeping up my neck now. 5 minutes to hell. At least I won't care when England lose to Sweden again.

Take it easy.

Steve

IP Logged

Tussilago
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Sweden, Norrland
Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 6:10pm

So sad to read knowing what it's like Sad

Sure it's only CH u got? Have u talked to doctors about possible combinations? If you can't get a doctor's appointment till after weekend and you find yourself stuck w/o O2 go to hospital.

Esp now that you've had a change in how it behaves.

More  I think about it... srsly if u get another really bad one just go in. Say you have the diagnosis but it's worse than ever and *different* and u don't understand why it's changed like this.

Try to pre-pack a bag with some little things to eat, red bull, coffeine tablets all that can work for you so if it hits u and it gets worse just get someone to take u in, grab bag with what you think you might need if it takes time and just go. Prob good to have ur meds in it as well so u have those with u as u might not be able to explain things very well.

I've encountered the situation where they didn't have my meds in the ER i ended up. Good game...

Possibly even try to ensure you aren't alone till Monday.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #4 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 9:13pm

Many is the time I've gone 12-18 months without a break, but have never considered myself chronic because they've been distincly different cycles just hitting back to back.  The worst was my first ever leftie cycle which started a week before the rightie finished.

Never even realised straightaway what was going on and went and got a tooth pulled instead. (I'd had twenty years practise and still got caught, the sneaky devil.)

Ah, what a wonderful life we lead, so it's full steam ahead and damn the torpedoes!

G'day from the colonies,

B.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #5 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 9:38pm

One thing I'd like to mention.  Newbies here seem to be fixated somewhat on when it switches sides.  Dr. Kudrow as well as Dr. Goadsby says it hasn't got the slightest thing to do with anything.  It just happens.  Most people have either right side or ;left side..but a lot have both.  Don't be concerned when it switches sides. After 25 yrs. of being chronic mine have switched sides  numerous times.  It means nothing.

Be more concerned with finding a good and knowledgeable doctor to treat you with preventatives and abortives.  THAT is where your fixation should be focused on.  THAT...and learning what this condition is all about.  A knowledable CH'er is one who hurts a lot less.   Wink

OH..a P.S. to Brian down under.  I am surprised that Beer didn't enter your last post.  Cheers anyway, mate. 

« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2012 at 9:41pm by Linda_Howell »  

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

GrooveMeister
CH.com Newbie

London UK
Reply #6 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 10:28pm

AussieBrian wrote on Jun 15th, 2012 at 9:13pm:
Many is the time I've gone 12-18 months without a break.

Strewth. I'm aware that many go much longer but I really don't know how/if I'd cope.
Know what you mean about the teeth, been to the dentist many times over the years before I finally found out what the beast is. Never got any pulled though, last time that happened was courtesy of a cricket ball. Like being tickled in comparison.

Linda & Tussilago, thanks, it's not really about the side switching, it's been doing that since long before I knew what it was - they started when I was 19, diagnosed at 36, 41 now. The new thing here is that it really feels like two distinct cycles coinciding. Brian's post would certainly suggest I'm not alone in that.

My main problem now is that I don't bother with meds other than O2 when I'm in a right sided cycle. It really is mild enough to be, I think, not as bad as the side effects. This has left me without meds now it's switched to the left when I really need 'em. There's a huge difference between right and left for me - although I'm quite sure both are CH. No longer care about the massive weight gain/constipation/dizzy spells now. Drug me. Just gonna have to tough it out 'til Monday and then jump into a bucket of pred/verapamil cocktail. In future I'll just stock up on prescription at the first signs of anything on any side.

Managed a whole 50 minutes sleep before the first hit of the night. Not the worst of hits but not sure I'm going to go back for more. Definitely going to get some melatonin when the chemist opens - I think I can get that without prescription. Hopefully that'll do the trick for me. I'd cope so much better if I coud only sleep.

Cheers

Steve

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #7 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 12:20am

Beer.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

GrooveMeister
CH.com Newbie

London UK
Reply #8 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 5:54am

AussieBrian wrote on Jun 16th, 2012 at 12:20am:
Beer.

Whenever it is the next one comes, it'll be manna. I fear it'll be a while. Sadly I doubt it'll be while I'm watching England thrash the Aussies at Lord's in a fortnight! That's if I feel safe going anyway.

Does anyone know if I can get melatonin without prescription in the UK? Boots thought you could but didn't have any. Superdrug said it was prescription only.

Seeing the doc on Monday so I'll get some then but I want to get some today if possible. Last night was horrible, really want to try it.

Cheers

Steve

IP Logged

GrooveMeister
CH.com Newbie

London UK
Reply #9 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 10:32pm

For what you are about to read, I do not recommend for anyone. Except, so far at least, me. It is thoroughly illegal. I've ummed and aahed about posting it for the last hour or so.

Now then, this is no longer relevant to my original post or indeed my last but the events of the day have moved on apace. I've met up with an old friend with whom I have a long and hedonistic past. I couldn't have imagined I'd be writing this in a public forum a few hours (days/weeks/lifetimes) ago for what will imminently become obvious reasons but no, hell no, I'm tripping and I need to report in.

Several hours later and not regretting what I wrote above apart from the copious stream of consciousness bullshit I just deleted. Back in the real world now and, for the moment, it feels good. Optimistic even.

The last few days have been about as horrendous as we all know they can be and, although it's not unprecedented I would have 12 hours remission in such an intense period, it's certainly extremely rare. Anyhoo, this has been the case, no pain for 12 hours. Sweet. It's entirely possible that this is the last vestiges of mushies talking but as of this moment I can't feel even the faintest lurkings of the beast. I couldn't have imagined I'd be saying that this time yesterday.

Right ready to sleep now and I feel remarkably confident that I'll get my first good night's sleep in weeks. The sizable sceptic in me would like to disagree.

I guess I'm about to find out. Fingers, and, if truth be told, eyes, crossed. It is a very weird and powerful drug. Not to be taken lightly.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!