Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do you keep a headache journal? (Read 1215 times)
whooligun
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Do you keep a headache journal?
Jun 6th, 2012 at 5:00pm

I started one when I was younger, but I kept forgetting to update it and lost interest. Do you keep one? Do you find it useful? What do you track???

Thanks!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Do you keep a headache journal?
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 6:43pm

I used to but stopped and now wish I had if only for all the details I keep forgetting as I age. It's more critical in the early diagnostic stages, especially in identifying triggers, food drinks, stress etc.

Ours is such a rare disorder. I realize now, in my 50's,  what a jewel a thorough diary of my 34 years of CH would actually be. Undecided

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Cadz
CH.com Newbie

There's Glitter on the
Floor!

Canberra, Australia
Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 12:07am

I've tried as well, and failed. I sort of wish I had, especially before being diagnosed. Now, maybe to see recurring patterns. But honestly, I can't be bothered..

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 3:32am

I keep two, one for my CHs, one for my migraines and other headaches. Both are spreadsheets in Excel along with graphs and pivot tables to help analyze patterns.

The CH one is easy, only one entry this year, although the migraine one is over 160 entries this year but that finally is starting to show patterns that influence my treatment. My GP and neurologist both love to see the detail I've collected that otherwise would not be available.

IP Logged

whooligun
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2012 at 8:26am

So...time, date, weather, kip, meds taken and possible triggers?

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2012 at 5:45pm

For my CH diary that is the basic info, along with a notes field where I capture anything else that may be of note, the CH duration and a location, e.g. home/work/hotel, etc. I then use Excel formulas to derive data like the day, start hour, etc. which then I graph and put into pivot tables.

For CHs, I get five times as many on a Friday and Saturday as a Tuesday. About 80% are at home, between 8 and 9pm...

For non-CHs I capture a bit more info, including if I'm photophobic or audiophobic, but essentially follow the same process.

Capture as much detail as you like, however if you capture a lot it may become too much to keep up.

IP Logged

whooligun
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2012 at 6:24pm

Great tips, thanks!

IP Logged

Traveller
CH.com Veteran

Tampa, FL
Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 3:05am

It's also very helpful in sorting out meds, doses, and effectiveness.  Some of these meds take awhile to build up to effective levels - an accurate and detailed journal can help you figure out when relief is coming.  My neuro insists on it, along with daily BP readings when I am on Verapamil.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!