Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Weird rash after cluster headaches (Read 2976 times)
Carol
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Weird rash after cluster headaches
Jun 5th, 2012 at 9:42pm

Hi, everyone. I'm Carol. My wonderful husband has had cluster headaches since 1968. Recently, as in the past few months, a new and interesting symptom has appeared. About 2 hours after the cluster, he will suddenly break out in a rash over his entire body, starting at his feet. This is a bright red, warm to the touch, slightly bumpy rash that itches like mad. He's only taking ibuprofen (800mg) for the headaches because the Veterans Administration no longer has his usual med. He takes this amount of ibuprofen for hip pain, and never gets the rash then, only after a cluster. I haven't been able to find anything about this. When it happens, he takes either Claratin or Allegra, and about 2 hours later, the rash begins to abate. Any ideas?

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Weird rash after cluster headaches
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 3:41am

Hi Carol and welcome to the forums.

Rashes can be a side effect of ibuprofen - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

However ibuprofen is just about useless for treating CH. It will not touch the pain of a CH and being a tablet it takes too long to be absorbed into the bloodstream. There are much, much better ways to treat CH.

First off, he needs a preventive which will cut down on how many CHs that he gets. Verapamil is very effective, typically a dose of 360-480mg a day (much higher than used for blood pressure) with some people going as high as 1000mg a day. Other options include lithium and topomax.

Most preventives take a while to become effective, so a doctor will normally start someone on a prednisione taper dose for 10 days or so to work as a short term preventive.

Once a CH starts, he needs an abortive to kill off the CH rapidly. What works great for most people is breathing oxygen via a non-rebreather mask at a high flow rate (15lpm or higher). This is how I can abort my CHs in about 5 minutes. Imitrex injections also work great but are expensive and you are limited to how many you can use per day (unlike oxygen).

Since he is using ibuprofen for CH it strongly suggests that his doctor is not at all experienced with treating CH. Ideally he needs to see a neurologist who specializes in treating headaches as even standard neurologists get little training in headaches. This should make a huge difference to how well he is treated.

Other things to try are using vitamin D, which is having an amazing effect for a lot of us. Read about this at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register. It's a lot to read but it is worth it.

Energy drinks, like Red Bull, taken at the start of a CH can also help reduce the intensity and duration.

Keep reading as there is so much to learn about CH here. You'll soon learn more than most doctors.

And ask LOTS of questions

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 6:56am

I would suspect the ibuprofen as well, except for the fact you say he also takes it for hip pain and does not experience rash from that. Is there anything he does during a cluster attack that would be different from other times? Drink something? Roll around in a certain spot, wear something different? Take a shower?

It also could be that, during the attack, he's overheating. This can cause a rash called "cholinergic urticaria"... aka heat rash. Check it out on Wikipedia and see what you think:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Carol
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 4:06pm

AppleNutClusters, you just might be onto something. That looks almost exactly like how he breaks out. And he always goes to bed, under the comforter. I told him, next headache, no getting under the comforter.

Mike, he's a Veterans Administration patient as he is 100% disabled from Vietnam. Asking to be referred to a neurologist and actually GETTING referred are usually very different things, but we will try again.

He was on Cafergot, which is a combination of ergotomaine and caffeine and it worked wonderfully for many, many years, until the VA decided that it was "too old" and "not effective" and removed it from their list of permitted medications.

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 5:22pm

Is Migranal on the approved list? It's another ergot-based med, dihydroergotamine. It's a nasal spray and could be combined with a caffeine tablet or energy drink if needed.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 3:24am

I'm sure some of the US based people will have some advice on how to deal with the Veteran's Administration.

However CH is something where you need to do all you can to get the treatment needed. Just relying on doctors to sort things out gets most people nowhere quickly other than more pain.

Cafergot was one of the treatments of choice many years ago, however now there are much, much better options, as I wrote in my post. Moving onto some of them should help a lot.

IP Logged

Akina
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

BFE, NC
Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 5:03am

Carol, I've sent you a PM on the VA issue.   The VA is an ornery machine that needs a good kick every once in a while.  Even over matters that are not as severe as CH's.

I will echo what has been said about other forms of medication that are more recent, as well as the 02.  Methods used in the past has become more "updated" as more and more sufferers/supporters have taken the initiative to learn about this condition. 

I would also suggest he has his 25(O2)D levels checked.  He might be deficient in that area, and there is a wonderful vitamin regiment that is allowing a great number of sufferers relief from the Beast.  You can find all the info on it over in the Medication section list under "123 Days PF and I think I know why" thread.  It might be something to look into not only for him, but for yourself.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!