Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lithium (Read 1651 times)
Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Lithium
Jun 5th, 2012 at 7:49am

From "Headache" magazine:
Quote:
Keywords:cluster headache;lithium;preventive treatment;naturalistic study
Objective.— In this study, we attempted to evaluate the response to lithium treatment and its tolerability in the prevention of episodic cluster headache (CH) and to identify clinical predictors of response.

Background.— Verapamil and lithium are the most widely used drugs in the prevention of CH attacks. Lithium is considered a second-line treatment in part because of its potentially severe adverse drug reactions (ADRs). Evidence for the efficacy of lithium in CH prevention is greater in chronic than in episodic patients. In addition, because of its narrow therapeutic window and ADRs (which can be significantly reduced with proper periodical monitoring of blood levels), lithium is recommended only in chronic CH, when other drugs are ineffective or potentially harmful.

Methods.— Our primary aim was to determine whether lithium reduced the number of attacks per day (attack frequency). We compared attack frequency in 3 periods: run-in, the first, and the second week of lithium treatment. Responders were defined as patients showing at least a 50% reduction in attack frequency.

Results.— Lithium response was evaluated in 26 patients. Treatment led to a significant reduction in attack frequency within 2 weeks in a percentage of 77% of responders and 23% of nonresponders. Responders and nonresponders did not differ in terms of demographic and clinical characteristics. Only 15% of patients experienced mild ADRs.

Conclusion.— Our study provides additional evidence on the effectiveness of lithium in the prevention of episodic CH. It also shows the tolerability of lithium, given the short duration of treatment and low dosage.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Lithium
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 8:49am

I've used lithium as my primary prevent for well over 25 years. 52 year old male episodic, I take 1200 mg a day while on cycle. Thus far my only side effects have been excessive urination for the first couple of weeks, and a light lethargy easily overcome by an extra cup of coffee.

Great post Bob, thanks.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Lenny
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Los Angeles,CA
Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 11:25am

thank you Mr.Bob...i too use it with verap...i had no idea that this is used for CH,as i use it primarily for my E.D.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

yes a newbie,unfortunately not to the beast!!!Chronic - Clusterhead

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 6:50am

Thanks for this. My doc has been reluctant to prescribe lithium due to worry over the ADRs, so perhaps this will persuade him.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Tussilago
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Sweden, Norrland
Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 12:59pm

I was on lithium for about 2 years. It worked fine then my doc said my blood levels were too low and increased the dosage even though I didnt want to... after that I threw up every day for months and couldn't manage work cos of the constant nausea. She then wanted to take me off work cos of the SIDE EFFECTS uff... after that no matter what dosage changes made I couldn't take the med.

But before the dosage flipping about it was absolutely fine to take the stuff and CH wise was pretty well of those two years.

This was one of the things they tested whle they didn't really know "what was wrong with me".
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2012 at 12:59pm by Tussilago »  

IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #5 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 9:57am

I took lithium 900mg for two years.  It reduced the number of ch I had a day from 8 to 4.  Then one day it just quit working.  So I moved onto different drug.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!