Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Remember the mental tricks for dealing with pain? (Read 1228 times)
Katherinecm
CH.com Sponsor

Des Moines, IA, USA
Remember the mental tricks for dealing with pain?
Jun 4th, 2012 at 7:02pm

Hey guys,

back when I first went chronic I remember there were a series of posts about using mental imagery to deal with pain.  Something like imagining moving the pain into your hand or something?  I can't remember it very well.  Tried it once and it didn't work for me, but it did help some people a lot.

Well now I have a friend who is dying of cancer.  32 year old veteran who got stage 4 lung cancer from tending burn pits in Iraq.  He's got constant 6-7 pain, with breakthrough spikes up to 10, and is not sleeping for more than an hour.  The pain descriptions at least remind me of myself at my worst.  He would prefer to not be snowed out on painkillers and wants to find ways to deal with the pain.  He's still fighting and hoping for a cure.  The cancer is spread everywhere though (liver, thigh muscle, bones all over, and is starting to invade the brain stem), so that will take a miracle.

For some reason the imagery thing keeps coming to mind and I'm wondering if anyone here can remind me of enough of it to search, or just fill me in so I can pass it on to him.

Thanks!

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings that have a human experience."  Teilhard de Chardin
Katherinecm Katherinecm http://www.facebook.com/katym katycatcm katycatcm  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: Remember the mental tricks for dealing with pain?
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 7:08pm

From Charlie:

Quote:
Dr. Wright’s Circulatory Technique

I am not sure what mechanism is triggered by this but whatever it is, it at least indirectly helps kill the pain. This technique has nothing to do with meditation, relaxation, or psychic ability. It is entirely physical and takes some work. It involves concentrating on trying to redirect a little circulation to the arms, hands, or legs. I thought it worked best with my left arm. Increased circulation to this area will result in a reddening and warming of the hands. As silly as it sounds, try to think of it as filling your hand with redirected circulation. The important part is that it has to be done without interruption until it works. Do not give up in frustration. It may not work on the first try. Sometimes it can work quicky but it almost always worked after a time. Try experimenting between attacks. You will find that it gets easier with practice.

I was given less than five minutes instruction in the use of this method. The doctor, while placing his arm on his desk, showed me that he could slightly increase his arm and hand circulation. After several attempts, I was able to repeat this procedure and use it successfully. I had about a 75% success rate shortening these attacks. My 20 minute hits were often reduced to 10 minutes or less. Once proven that I had a chance to deal with this horror, I always gave it a try as I had nothing to lose but pain.

I used to try to imagine I was pushing blood away from my head into my arm. Use your imagination. There is one man who wrote that his standing barefoot on a concrete floor shortened his attacks. This draws some circulation away from the head and sounds good to me. Cold water, exercise, or anything affecting circulation, seems to be worth a try. My suggestion is to not let up immediately when the pain goes. Waiting a minute is probably a good idea.

This technique is very useful while waiting for medication to take effect or when none is available. It costs nothing, is non-invasive, and can be used just about anywhere. It is not a miracle but it helped me deal with this horror. It can be a bit exhausting but the success rate was good enough for me and a cluster headache sufferer will do just about anything to end the pain. It's important to know that this has nothing to do with psychic ability or meditation. It's physical.

I hope this technique is helpful and I wish you the best of luck.

Charlie

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Katherinecm
CH.com Sponsor

Des Moines, IA, USA
Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 9:16pm

Thank you!

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings that have a human experience."  Teilhard de Chardin
Katherinecm Katherinecm http://www.facebook.com/katym katycatcm katycatcm  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 9:19pm

No - thank Charlie!  Wink

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!