Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Verapamil side effects (Read 3056 times)
pedropedro
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|schiedam|Netherlands||0|0|
Verapamil side effects
Jun 4th, 2012 at 10:20am

Hi All,

After 1,5 years I am back in a cluster cycle. Previously Verapamil worked great for me without too much side effects. I am at 240mg now and it is suppressing my cluster attacks for 90% which is great. Also the first two weeks I had virtually no side effects from using Verapamil but these days I am feeling extremely tired and slightly dizzy the whole day. This is really impacting my days now and I have a hard time to concentrate and make it through the day. Did anybody else have the same type of experience and did it go away after while?

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Verapamil side effects
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 12:16pm

Do a regular (dailly) blood pressure check and if the readings are consistently low, for your, tell your doc. Tiredness is associated with low pressure.

See. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register for more detailed info.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 12:19pm

Hey PedroPedro,

Sorry you're back to see us, but a lot has happened since you were last here...

We've found that nearly all of us CH'ers are vitamin D3 deficient and that deficiency is contributing to our CH... 

Most episodic CH'ers with active CH who have the test for 25(OH)D, a metabolite of vitamin D3, have results below 30 ng/mL...  Some chronic CH'ers with active CH have tested as high as 55 to 63 ng/mL.

The good news is CH'ers who go pain free on the anti-inflammatory regimen with 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 have serum concentrations of 25(OH)D in a range from 60-110 ng/mL...  so it's clear a higher concentration of 25(OH)D correlates with a lower incidence of CH attacks.

The present success rate for this method of preventing cluster headache is 75%.  To date 105 out of the 140 CH'ers who posted they've started this regimen have gone pain free in less than three weeks or had a significant reduction in the frequency and severity of their CH..

The other good news is this regimen works well with traditional standards of care preventatives for CH.

I've updated the anti-inflammatory regimen with additional magnesium and added vitamin A as shown below.  The main reason for this update is to help the other 25% of CH'ers who didn't respond to this regimen as rapidly as the others.

Once you get your 25(OH)D serum concentration into the green zone (60-110 ng/mL) and go pain free.  You should be able to lower the vitamin D3 dose to 75 IU/Kg/day.  For most of us that works out somewhere between 5000 to 10,000 IU/day

The new suggested anti-inflammatory regimen supplements and dosage includes:

10,000 IU/day Vitamin D3
  2,000 mg/day Omega 3 Fish Oil
  5,000 500 mg/day Calcium (calcium citrate preferred)

In order to receive the most health benefit from increased levels of vitamin D3, the proper cofactors must be present in the body. Vitamin D3 has many cofactors, but the ones listed below are the most important. Magnesium should be considered the most important one of all.

Magnesium   400 mg/day  (liquid softgels, magnesium
                   citrate or magnesium gluconate preferred)

Vitamin K2    120 mcg/day - Men, 90 mcg/day - Women

Vitamin A      900 mcg (3,000 IU) for men and
                    700 mcg (2,333 IU) for women

Zinc               10 mg/day

Boron              1 mg/day

You can read about the vitamin D3 cofactors at the following link: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

With the exception of vitamin D3 dose which is higher than the Institute of Medicine suggests, all the other supplements and dosages listed in this regimen are at or below the recommended dietary allowance (RDA).

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2012 at 1:03am by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Cadz
CH.com Newbie

There's Glitter on the
Floor!

Canberra, Australia
Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 6:21am

Hey Pedro,

Very sorry to hear you're back in cycle. I feel your pain; quite literally.

I am also taking Verapamil as a preventative at the moment. I am on an extremely low dosage though; as I get constant dizzy spells, and extra exhaustion. I have passed out once as well in the past. The lower dosage has helped tremendously.

It is definitely worth checking with your GP/neurologist - they will know what can be done about side effects.

Good luck!

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 6:48am

Pedropedro, I had that side effect when starting verapamil too.  As I think Bob said, it's a good idea to check your blood pressure regularly while on it. My doctor advised me to call him if my BP got below 100/60 or so.  Also pay attention to heart rate -- if it stays below 50, that indicates bradycardia (slow heart rate).  All of these things will make you dizzy/tired/sick. A milder level of dizziness, especially when first standing up, can be normal and usually goes away after a few weeks.

I also got pretty heavy edema in my legs and feet, also a side effect of verapamil. Advise your doctor if you have any significant swelling while on this med.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!