Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hits when laying down (Read 2409 times)
aprildawn
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

UP of Michigan
Hits when laying down
May 24th, 2012 at 9:39am

Hi all, I am back in cycle after almost a year. I knew it was coming & got O2 ready.

Anyway, I usually only get 1-2 hits a night (around 10 pm) & it is always when I go to bed. Last night, I was laying in the couch at 7pm & not asleep & here he comes. Does anyone else get hits when they lay down?

Also, I have doing Batch's regimen & so far the hits have been milder.

IP Logged

Zeitgeist
CH.com Alumnus

Clustery szcmustery

|Norway|
Re: Hits when laying down
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2012 at 11:12am

Yes. I like to lay down listening to the news, but when in cycle, that's dangerous.  Even if it's just for 5-10 minutes. I suspect more blood to the head is some of the explanation, or maybe pressure on the neck.

-zg

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - May 24th, 2012 at 12:32pm

Several years ago this question used to float aroud here regularly. It was interesting the variety of postures which triggered an attack. No explanation in the literature but it appears that a pressure point, varying with the individual, was operating.

My experience was sitting in a chair when the back pressed on myh kidneys. Sometimes an attack would erupt with amazing speed but I learned that jumping up at the firs sign would block the developmen.

Clear, individual variations is the norm.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Traveller
CH.com Veteran

Tampa, FL
Reply #3 - May 24th, 2012 at 2:02pm

I have something of a theory in this regard; I'd be interested in peoples' responses.

We know that this malady is caused deep in the brain in the Trigeminal nerve, and that it mainfests itself in different areas in and around the eyes/sinus.  When I was in cycle I had a spot near my scalp on the pain side that was always sensitive.  A kind of burning sensation when touched.  In fact, this spot was my test to see whether I was still in cycle - though the acute pain had been taken care of by Verapamil, this spot was tender throughout the whole cycle.

At night, I had to be careful to not let the "spot" get aggravated when sleeping, as it seemed to trigger more acute attacks.  Similarly, sneezing and sinus problems also seemed to generate pain, and I found that being out in the sun (squinting) for long periods would likely bring about an attack. 

So my theory is this -- though the main source of the problem is deep inside the brain, it seems possible to me that stimulation of some of the "external" sites can track back on the TG nerve and cause an attack? 

Or am I thinking too much?

IP Logged

BobG
CH.com Hall of Famer

St. George, UT
Reply #4 - May 24th, 2012 at 4:59pm

Laying down, or is it lying down?, flat is a big NO! for me. I usually start the night with my head elevated but within a couple of hours I've slid down level and the CH wakes me. Then I spend the rest of the night sitting in the La-Z-Boy. This is the longest cycle I've ever had. It started last November but thanks to Verapamil it is almost over. I've spent 99% of the nights since November in the chair.
Now the good news. I got a new, top of the line La-Z-Boy recliner today. It is so comfortable that I'm almost looking forward to tonight's CH attack so I can try it out.  Undecided

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.

IP Logged

aprildawn
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

UP of Michigan
Reply #5 - May 25th, 2012 at 8:38am

thanks for the responses. it would appear that laying down is a no-no for me too. but i have to sleep sometime. just have the O2 ready & nip it in the bud.

and i upped my D3 to 10,000 & had a blood test for my vitamin D level donethis morning. Batch's regimen definately seems to be making a difference in my cycle.  Smiley

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #6 - May 25th, 2012 at 9:43am

April, have you ever tried Melatonin to dodge the nocturnal attacks? Start with 9 mg about 30 minutes before bedtime. Some go as high as 18 mg, you have to play with the dosing. Too low it doesn't stop the attacks, too high and you're a zombie all day. Some have found the best results from combining slow release and standard release to get them thru the whole night. Might be worth a try.

JOe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

aprildawn
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

UP of Michigan
Reply #7 - May 25th, 2012 at 1:21pm

Guiseppi, i don't know if i need that. i only get 1 hit a night (yes i am one of the lucky ones) & i am usually not asleep yet. after the hit, i have no problem sleeping the rest of the night.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #8 - May 25th, 2012 at 1:54pm

Yeah, not what you need then. "ONLY" one hit a night......funny how relative the beast can be with your thought process! Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

aprildawn
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

UP of Michigan
Reply #9 - May 25th, 2012 at 3:26pm

When i read other people's experiences with the beast, i feel very lucky.

IP Logged

japanzaman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Fukuoka, JAPAN
Reply #10 - May 25th, 2012 at 6:39pm

For me, it I can lay down but I need to avoid having my head tilted to the right. Tilting it to the left actually makes things feel better for some reason.

When I have an attack, tilting my head to the left usually seems to help, while tilting to the right seems to make it worse. Definitely related. Probably less blood to the affected area.

IP Logged

aprildawn
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

UP of Michigan
Reply #11 - May 29th, 2012 at 8:57am

well, i had a PF weekend. 4 nights worth. i can't believe it. my cycle was too short so i wonder if it was the increase in D3 or the increase in my depakote. oh well, just as long as it continues.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #12 - May 29th, 2012 at 4:00pm

For the record: it is when one is "lying down" that an attack may come. You lay down that magazine you are reading, cease lying on your back, and immediately launch toward the nearest O2 tank. Hope that helps. I remain, Your ever obscure master of antiquarian grammar, specializing in those areas no one really knows or cares about anymore anyway. blessings. lance

IP Logged

japanzaman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Fukuoka, JAPAN
Reply #13 - May 30th, 2012 at 11:06am

wimsey1 wrote on May 29th, 2012 at 4:00pm:
For the record: it is when one is "lying down" that an attack may come. You lay down that magazine you are reading, cease lying on your back, and immediately launch toward the nearest O2 tank.

Nice. Now I know I've been out of the country too long! Grin

IP Logged

Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus

It's always darkest before
the dawn.

North Carolina, USA
Reply #14 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 10:30pm

When I couldn't lay down I slept in the recliner.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
taratheking taraann77 taraann1977 peachypie77 imjustpeachypie  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!