Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Precursors to cycle? (Read 3107 times)
Cadz
CH.com Newbie

There's Glitter on the
Floor!

Canberra, Australia
Precursors to cycle?
May 20th, 2012 at 6:20am

Hey guys,

Haven't been on in months, because I've been really well, and happy!

But now I'm worried I'm heading into a new cycle again.

I have been feeling extremely nauseous for the past week; but not actually vomiting. I cannot handle certain smells at all - which is frustrating because I work in a kitchen!

From memory; last time I felt this nauseous was about a week before my last cycle of cluster headaches. So I am preparing myself - as much as you can prepare yourself anyways.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Any "warning signs"?

Mostly being curious; and somewhat wondering if it is related; or not at all.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Precursors to cycle?
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2012 at 9:00am

There is remarkably little material on your question. This is the only item I have on file:

Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2001 Feb;5(1):55-9. 

Premonitory symptoms in cluster headache.

Raimondi E.

Catedra de Neurologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Nacional de Rosario, 9 de Julio 3826, Rosario 2002 PKP, Argentina. raimondi@cablenet.com.ar

Cluster headache is one of the most excruciating headaches affecting human beings--especially the male sex. Most of the cluster headache cases are of episodic nature, with active cluster periods lasting generally between a few weeks and 2 or 3 months. A still undetermined percentage of patients report nonpainful sensations preceding the onset of the pain attack for a variable period of time. If occurring only a few minutes or a few hours before the onset of pain, such symptoms are called prodromal. When occurring for several days, weeks, or months before the pain, they are termed premonitory symptoms. The author believes that premonitory symptoms have not been properly diagnosed and emphasizes the need to investigate their presence, because by knowing them advances can be made in the understanding of the physiopathology of this particular cephalalgia. Furthermore, it can also allow the physician to be ahead, by giving preventive treatment and stopping or diminishing the intensity and duration of the pain attacks.

Publication Types:
Review

PMID: 11252138 
=====
Since predicting is both impossible and the source of increasing anxiety, suggest that you are clear on the treatment program you have and be prepared to get it going SHOULD something develop. Beyond that--living a satisfying life is enough to fill our attention span. <bg>

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #2 - May 21st, 2012 at 8:05am

If memory serves, there was a time when the collective wisdom did not believe CHs were preceded by an "aura" in fashion similar to a migraine's warning sign. But we know there are some who do have a definite buildup prior to a full hit, and I'm one of them. It only lasts about 15 or 20 seconds before the CH is raging, but it's enough time for me to get to my O2, or other abortives. Perhaps the same is true for cycle warnings. Whether or not what you describe is related as a precursory warning, it's always good to be prepared.  Denial is very strong in us, and when we are pf for awhile, we begin to think the beast is gone. Then, surprise!  Blessings. lance

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2012 at 12:22am

Not sure if I ever really knew of any precursors to my cycles, but here's something interesting....

I once knew a CH'er who claimed her dog would know when she was about to be attacked before the woman even knew herself. 

The story is... the dog would get really close to the woman and start whimpering and place his paws on the woman to comfort/hug her.  I believed her CH pet story, as pets often have strong intuition.

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Cadz
CH.com Newbie

There's Glitter on the
Floor!

Canberra, Australia
Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2012 at 8:06am

Well, haven't quite been hit yet; but extremely heavy shadows today. Still haven't found a doctor in the area that will prescribe O2 (mostly because I can't find a doctor who knows much - or anything really - about cluster headaches).

And Gregg, I do believe the CH pet story too actually; they are very intuitive, and it wouldn't surprise me if they could sense something wrong.

Preparation time now..

IP Logged

Headbanger
CH.com Newbie

Horton heard a hoo

Reply #5 - Oct 5th, 2012 at 9:30am

I started my cycle 3 weeks ago. It came suddenly with a big banger. 2 weeks prior out of the blue I told my girlfriend that I think my headaches are going to start up. Crazy!!! I hadnt even thought of a cluster in 7 months.

All you need is Love.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #6 - Oct 5th, 2012 at 6:50pm

She-who-must-be-obeyed knows I'm coming into heat long before I know it myself.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

ttnolan
CH.com Veteran

beats me

Scotts Valley, CA
Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2012 at 1:05am

Me-Oww

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #8 - Oct 6th, 2012 at 10:11am

It's funny but I "know" they're back a week or two before my first shadow. I go into complete denial, but within a week or two I get my first shadow!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

japanzaman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Fukuoka, JAPAN
Reply #9 - Oct 8th, 2012 at 9:10am

I wish I did have some sort of precursor. Each cycle I have had has started on a different time of year, spanning all the different seasons.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!