Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Guess what we found! (Read 1133 times)
Akina
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

BFE, NC
Guess what we found!
May 20th, 2012 at 12:55am

So I'm gonna try and make this long story short...

The other day, I  had to go do a general physical appt with my new VA doc (my old one left for another VA facility).  Since I was technically a "new patient", they gave me a new book that they have started giving out to new patients.  It covers a lot of subjects, but one page in particular caught my husband's and my attention.

So, we figured we'd share it with everyone here...hoping it gets at least a couple of smiles from ya'll.

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Re: Guess what we found!
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2012 at 9:16am

Yeah... well at least they know there ARE such a thing as CH... guess that's a start..

Now if they'd just listen to their patients with CH - they MIGHT know what to do about them.. but.... Roll Eyes

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #2 - May 20th, 2012 at 1:51pm

I"m shocked they even know the name....

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Akina
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

BFE, NC
Reply #3 - May 20th, 2012 at 4:20pm

Like I said, it surprised both of us that it was in there.  We found it in area talking about "common" diseases and conditions.  Nearly every one of my conditions were not included, but Clusters actually made the list to be included.

We are taking this as acceptance by the Veteran's Administration that there actually such things as Cluster Headaches and that they are gaining much more attention now than in previous years.

On a side note: The pediatrician that sees my younger siblings made a nephew of mine go get his D3 levels tested and checked his symptoms against CH's, just to see if the headaches he was having were Clusters.  I think at least where I am at, CH's are becoming much more well known and accepted by the medical community.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #4 - May 21st, 2012 at 1:42am

Akina wrote on May 20th, 2012 at 4:20pm:
We found it in area talking about "common" diseases and conditions.

I wonder why common?

Oh yeah, headaches are common.  Hope not right in between hangover and stress/tension. 

I had that once, I get those, too.

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #5 - May 21st, 2012 at 3:56pm

The fact it was in the VA is amazing!  It is a step in the right direction, that's for sure!

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

AubanBird
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

everywhere...
Reply #6 - May 23rd, 2012 at 9:29pm

Kevin_M wrote on May 21st, 2012 at 1:42am:
Akina wrote on May 20th, 2012 at 4:20pm:
We found it in area talking about "common" diseases and conditions.

I wonder why common?

Oh yeah, headaches are common.  Hope not right in between hangover and stress/tension. 

I had that once, I get those, too.

When i was in kuwait, i met several medics that were coming home from afghanistan that knew exactly what cluster headaches are.  Most of them had either helped soldiers seek treatment for them or knew another medic who had.  One of them was firmly convinced that they are caused by a combination of heat stroke and traumatic brain injuries.  He told me that they are very hard to treat, but some people were getting relief by drinking a lot of water throughout the day.  I directed him to this site.  What is funny is that he was a private first class and he knows more about cluster headaches than my neurologist.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #7 - May 24th, 2012 at 6:15pm

AubanBird wrote on May 23rd, 2012 at 9:29pm:
When i was in kuwait, i met several medics that were coming home from afghanistan that knew exactly what cluster headaches are.  Most of them had either helped soldiers seek treatment for them or knew another medic who had. 

These are the great stories I like to hear.  It's hard to be excited about getting a name in a book, like when Nathan in "The Jerk" found out his name was in the phone book, but it does give acknowledgement to clusters within the VA.  Goodness gracious, progress, like Barb and Bill (Racer) similarly note.

I might not perhaps have found it in the book without going to the index to see if clusters was in there.  It's just that "common" seems to add to perception it's a "headache".  Like finally getting a big ad in the Yellow Pages for my new pet shop, but finding they listed it under pest control, pest instead of pets.
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2012 at 6:25pm by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!