Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Welding O2 and Demand Valve (Read 1133 times)
MPMIII
CH.com Veteran

Alabama
Welding O2 and Demand Valve
May 16th, 2012 at 9:44am

Does any one use the demand valve system with a welding tank?  I use an M tank with a welding regulator and optimask (pic below).  I am going to buy a demand valve, but did not know if I would need to buy a new regulator.  Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

Malcom

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Re: Welding O2 and Demand Valve
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2012 at 11:07pm

You will need a 540 CGA regulator with a DISS fitting for the demand valve, these will fit your tank. I got mine from Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, $162, made in the US.

Also check Ebay as many folks find regs there for much cheaper. I'm not up on welding regs but you may be able to get a DISS fitting for yours.??

With the reg I have, I can use either the O2PTI or the demand, both are hook up.

Don
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2012 at 11:09pm by Skyhawk5 »  

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - May 16th, 2012 at 11:34pm

I have the very same regulator you have pictured. All you have to do is unscrew the nipple (where your O2ptimask is connected), attach the demand hose to it, and turn the flow up to a level that will give you as much O2 as you need for each breath. No need for a new regulator.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2012 at 11:49pm by Brew »  

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

MPMIII
CH.com Veteran

Alabama
Reply #3 - May 17th, 2012 at 9:33am

Thanks guys.  Appreciate the advice.  Do you find that your tanks last a lot longer with a demand valve? 

Malcom

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - May 17th, 2012 at 9:42am

I think that depends on your abort style. Several of us use a deep breathe and hold style. For me, the demand valve is perfect because as the abort progresses, I'm holding my breath for 30 seconds at a time or better. I average 6-8 aborts per E-tank, basically 3-400 pounds of 02.

My guess is for those that use the extreme hyper-ventilation method there wouldn't be as much of a savings on 02 use, but that's just Joe's uneducated guess, your mileage may vary! Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!