Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Neurostimulator Implant Unsuccessful!! (Read 2647 times)
Evan O
CH.com Junior

Brooklyn, New York
Neurostimulator Implant Unsuccessful!!
May 7th, 2012 at 10:32pm

Thought I would drop a line/update on my latest approach in fighting this thing. If anyone has any questions about my procedure I'll post in great detail.

I'm chronic, and exhausted most of the pain and preventative meds on the market. The nerve block worked for about a year, and the Imitrex Injection, while still effective to this day, has been losing its strength over time. O2 didnt work, but didn't give it a fair shot as I still don't know if I used it correctly.

After my last 6 week taper of dexamethasone (gained 30lbs, acne up the wazoo), my neuro recommended a neurostimulator implant.

I had the procedure two weeks ago. It consisted of the implantation of a battery in the tush, with a neurostimulator running up the spine and feeding into three leads that are placed in the area of the occipital, super orbital and peripheral nerve. The frequencies of the transmitter are controlled by a remote device.

So far, the HA's have been increasingly more frequent day by day. I have yet to see a  kip 10 since the surgery, but I've been at consistent 7s twice a day with a few 4's sprinkled in. I occasionally abort a few with the timely chugging of redbull but for the most part I'm singing "why me's" without Imitrex.

IF INTERESTED IN SURGERY: These "surgeries" are a form of pain management and not a cure. I have been told that there have been successful surgeries for CH. If you are interested going this route, it is important that you discuss and investigate the placement of the leads (wires placed in the head that are supposed to stimulate the nerve to reduce pain) before they do the actual implant.

The problem with my surgery, as with other procedures out there, is that they cannot surgically implant the leads directly behind the eye. By strategy, surgeons place the leads close to the eye (by the sideburn) and hope that the frequencies of the stimulator will reach the eye to alleviate most of the pain.

On full blast, the frequencies have extended close to the eye, and reduced some pain but not to the point I was hoping for. The pain has still been unbearable, and I can't be without Imitrex.

This type of procedure is much more successful for typical migraines as leads can be placed at the location of pain. Maybe there's something better out there for us.

Oddly enough, I have yet to go the clusterbuster route. I used it recreationally in my teens (15 years ago) but haven't given it a try since my first CH. Moving on to plan Z…

Hope everyone has a pain free evening.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: Neurostimulator Implant Unsuccessful!!
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2012 at 10:43pm

Quote:
Oddly enough, I have yet to go the clusterbuster route.

Oddly enough.

I can't imagine why anyone would agree to be cut on without giving this method a try first. Or the D3 anti-inflammatory regimen.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #2 - May 8th, 2012 at 9:00am

What Bill said!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Evan O
CH.com Junior

Brooklyn, New York
Reply #3 - May 11th, 2012 at 4:14pm

I've been on the D3 regimen for over 6 months. I've been playing with different doses but to no avail. Currently taking 10000 IU of D3, 3600 Omega 3, 200 Vitamin K, 500 mg Magnesium. Can't take Boron. I've been up and down from the above doses.

Any suggestions as to what I can add to the regimen?

The reason for not "busting" is because it conflicts with employment. Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to have psilocybin in my blood stream.  I was trying to exhaust all methods before I had to leave my job. This surgery is the least intrusive of surgeries, and the pain from the procedure doesnt make the kip scale.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #4 - May 11th, 2012 at 6:35pm

Evan,

Sorry the neurostimulation didn't work... 

Have you gone in for the lab test for your serum 25(OH)D concentration?  Without that in hand, there's no way to tell if 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 is sufficient to elevate your 25(OH)D into the therapeutic range of 60 to 110 ng/mL.

If your results come back at less than 65 ng/mL, tell your neurologist you want to up the vitamin D3 dose to 20,000 IU/day with a single weekly loading dose of 50,000 IU in place of that day's 10,000 IU dose.

When you do go in for the lab test, ask for the endocrine panel with PTH .  If your parathyroid hormone level is out of whack, that could easily explain why the vitamin D3 regimen hasn't been effective. 

If they didn't do a CBC plus Chemistry panel prior to your surgery, ask for these tests as well.  A kidney or liver insufficiency could also explain the failure of vitamin D3 to control your CH.

In the mean time, you can try 15,000 IU/day vitamin D3.

Take care and please keep us posted

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - May 11th, 2012 at 6:52pm

Quote:
I'm not allowed to have psilocybin in my blood stream.

Neither are most of the rest of us.

Over 99% of employers don't test for it because doing so adds about $350 to the cost of the test. Besides, it's out of your bloodstream 48 hours after the fact.

But hey, it's your call. It gave me my life back.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Evan O
CH.com Junior

Brooklyn, New York
Reply #6 - May 12th, 2012 at 4:38pm

Thank you Batch.

I have read your threads in the past, and did follow up with my neuro regarding this approach. I don't remember what my Vitamin D3 level was, but recall that that both calcium and phosphate levels were ok. My testing ended there, but continued the regimen at 10,000 IU (with magnesium, K, and Omega 3), as I noticed the rebound HA's were not as severe while on the regimen. The frequency and duration of each HA, however, was the same as before. I kept a log, but could never find a dose that was most beneficial.

One thing I know I never inquried about was my parathyroid hormone level. That could be it.

I really appreciate your help with this. Thanks again.

Evan

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #7 - May 14th, 2012 at 1:45am

If you're not sure if you used O2 properly, you probably didn't. Oxygen is the one treatment that has kept me alive for 24 yrs of CH. Proper equipment and flow rate are what you need to know. Your Doctor most likely won't.

I use the O2PTI mask (available on CH.com store) at up to 60 LPM. Your Dr. will not know this or prescribe it, I also have a demand valve mask that gives me whatever flow I need. I abort 97% of my attacks with O2 alone.

Please read the link below to give you the absolute basics of O2 for CH.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Don
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2012 at 1:47am by Skyhawk5 »  

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #8 - May 14th, 2012 at 4:38pm

Evan,

The 25(OH)D level is very important if you're trying to prevent your CH with vitamin D3 therapy...  You should be able to call your doctor's receptionist and ask for the results of your 25(OH)D lab test.

10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 may not be enough, but again, you need the 25(OH)D results to know for sure if you're in the CH therapeutic range of 60-110 ng/mL. 

We've a growing number of CH'ers who needed 15,000 to 20,000 IU/day vitamin D3 to have a favorable response.  Some of them were also using a weekly loading dose of 50,000 IU one day a week to speed up the process of elevating their 25(OH)D concentration...

Calcium levels are only important if they're higher than normal indicating a possible vitamin D3 intoxication. 

99% of the body's Ca2+ is present in bones
1% is required for fertilization, vision, muscle contraction, nerve conduction, blood clotting, exocytosis, cell division and the activity of
many enzymes and hormones.

Accordingly, the biological processes behind calcium homeostasis are among the most powerful we have.  They maintain serum ionized calcium concentrations in a very narrow range of 4.1 to 5.2 mg/dL. 

Any concentration out of that range, and our nerves cease to function properly.  Every else thing listed above fails to work properly or at all.  As long as there's sufficient calcium in the gut, all is well...  If there isn't enough, these processes take calcium from the bones...

Low Plasma Calcium: stimulates PTH release, and PTH acts to resorb Ca2+ from the pool in bone and to enhance renal re-absorption of Ca2+

High Plasma Calcium: stimulates calcitonin secretion from the thyroid which lowers plasma calcium by inhibiting bone resorption

Parathyroid Hormone:
  i) functions to raise plasma calcium via bone   
  resorption and renal calcium reabsorption
  ii) stimulates the metabolism of Vitamin D to its
  active hormonal form,1,25(OH)2D3.

The bottom line is endocrinologists and homeopathic physicians are better equipped to handle a vitamin D3 deficiency and interpret the associated lab results...  They're also a lot easier to see on short notice without a referral consult.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!