Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Possibly going Episodic to Chronic... Tips? (Read 1361 times)
AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Possibly going Episodic to Chronic... Tips?
Apr 30th, 2012 at 11:55pm

Hey all!  I am in the first cluster cycle I've had that's (so far) lasting about 3 months longer than all previous cycles.   Is there anything I should be looking for/recording that will help my neuro?  Or me?  Is there anything I should be doing now (am on O2, Imitrex injections, verapamil ER 180 mg/day) to help?

For sure, I will be discussing verap increase with my GP--I'm well aware I'm on a low dose and ER may not be best--but anything else?

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Possibly going Episodic to Chronic... Tips?
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2012 at 12:27am

Don't sweat going chronic, you either will or won't. I know that sounds simplistic, but it's one aspect of your condition you simply have no control over.

I've had cycles go as long as 8 months, and after 33 years I'm still episodic. Crossing fingers for ya!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - May 1st, 2012 at 6:46am

J Headache Pain. 2005 Feb;6(1):3-9. Epub 2005 Jan 25.

Chronic cluster headache: a review.

Favier I, Haan J, Ferrari MD.

Department of Neurology, K5-Q Leiden University Medical Centre, 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands.

Cluster headache (CH) is a rare but severe headache disorder characterised by repeated unilateral head pain attacks accompanied by ipsilateral autonomic features. In episodic CH, there are periods of headache attacks with pain-free intervals of weeks, months or years in between. A minority of patients have the chronic form, without pain-free intervals between the headache attacks. Chronic CH can occur as primary or secondary chronic CH; the rarest form is episodic CH arising from chronic CH. In this article, we give a review of the chronic forms of CH and focus on demographics, clinical manifestations, social habits, predictive factors, head injury, genetics, neuroimaging and therapy. IT IS REMARKABLE THAT LITTLE IS KNOWN ABOUT RISK FACTORS THAT MAKE CH CHRONIC.

Publication Types:
Review

PMID: 16362185 [PubMed] 
=============================

Given the state of knowledge, the worst response is to try and predict the future and spending your time "looking" for some signs of a transformation. Psychologists refer to "anticipatory anxiety"--the result of trying to predict an outcome.

A more positive way to use your emotional energy:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2012 at 6:48am by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #3 - May 1st, 2012 at 8:24am

It seems to me you are asking if there is a different treatment for chronics vs. episodics, and the answer to a degree, is yes. For example, long term preventatives tend to be used more aggressively...why go on a high dose of a preventative if your cycle is only a few weeks long? Yes, your verapamil is low. It's possible you're due for both an increase to more effective levels, and possibly a pred taper to help with the transition. The other difference is how much of, and how often, our abortives are used. In my opinion and experience, we need a broader range of abortives at our fingertips, with some freedom to choose. I have a complete O2, Monster, imitrex and migranal panoply from which to choose. Having added lithium recently to the mix, I am down to 1-2 hits a day, and sleeping throughout the night. I'm hoping it stays that way or improves. Blessings. lance

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #4 - May 4th, 2012 at 2:11am

You may have a good Doctor but on average they know very little about CH. CH is such a rare condition and Doctors only have about 5 hrs of instruction on all types of headaches, learning from this website is your best bet for proper treatment.

What is your oxygen setup? Do you know about the best setup? Most often we have to get the proper best equipment on our own. High flow regulator, best mask, etc. It most definitely matters. I went from aborting 60% to 97% with O2 only from this site.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Brooke
CH.com Junior

:)

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2012 at 6:57pm

My Dr is one of the best when it comes to CH he was saying that ER verapamil is useless. See if you can get on non ER and on a higher dosage. Also, I like DHE better than imitrex but thats preference. I also take melatonin every night and Depakote.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #6 - May 4th, 2012 at 8:12pm

Brooke wrote on May 4th, 2012 at 6:57pm:
My Dr is one of the best when it comes to CH he was saying that ER verapamil is useless.

This has come up multiple times. For some, the extended release form is useless but for others, including myself, it works much better.

A dose of 180mg is very low, with most people needing 360-480mg a day and some around 1000mg.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #7 - May 4th, 2012 at 11:36pm

Mike makes an excellent point, the variables from patient to patient are so great one must be VERY cautious when making generalizations about what does and doesn't work.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #8 - May 19th, 2012 at 11:59pm

Lance, bingo--I am indeed asking if there's anything I might do differently if I were chronic vs. episodic.  I do not fear going chronic, although I'd prefer not!  I am a practical sort in that regard.  I have a standing agreement with my doc that he will tell me about serious side effects only, as I don't want to be influenced by possible side effects and the power of suggestion.

Thanks for the article of pain vs. suffering, Bob.  I read that early in my CH "career" and it's most useful in describing to my friends that, terrible as CH is while it's happening, it does not rule my life.  I truly believe in "living between the hits" so to speak!  It's just that, practically speaking, I need to know if I should be preparing for chronic-ness so I can keep working and maintaining that sweet health insurance!

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!