Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I'm new here, I have a question (Read 1178 times)
heel
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

I'm new here, I have a question
Apr 19th, 2012 at 11:12am

I got clusters, this time I have the vials of sumatriptan and some syringes. I can't seem to find any information on where to inject yourself or how deep to stick the needle. Can anybody here help me out with how to do this? Or link to to a page or thread that can?
Thanks

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: I'm new here, I have a question
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 12:59pm

Ask your druggist for a copy of instructions.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

ariel
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Long Island new York
Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 2:46pm

Hi, If its just regular insulin syringes (short needle), I always just did it all the way in, right in the thigh or my upper arm, like where a dr would give you a shot. Think of yourself as dotting an "i" on a page with a pen, that would be the perfect amt of pressure to use when injecting. Also, consider using only half of the vial for your HA if you catch it in time, it will save you on that precious medicine if your insurance  limits you, like they usually do. Half always worked well for me & many others. Good luck Smiley

IP Logged

Brooke
CH.com Junior

:)

Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 11:17pm

normally the sumatriptan comes in a "pen" style injection that you just click a button while pressing it to your arm... if not then if its the short needle as ariel said just go all the way in on your arm and I also recommend that you only use half. If they gave you the pens (which is normal) then look at the imitrex tip that will tell you how to only use half.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 8:39am

I have both the autoinjector and the insulin syringe style. It doesn't much matter where you inject either. It is meant to be subcutaneous so less than 1/4 inch is all you need. I stick my lower calf because I can roll up my pants leg and it's a bit easier for me to stab myself there. Just me. I like the "dotting the i" description. Half a vial (3 ml or 2.5mg) is the right dose to start with. Less side effects. Blessings. lance

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 9:26pm

Here's instuctions for giving Sub-Q self injections. Kill the beast.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

heel
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - May 1st, 2012 at 8:47am

Well I've used it a few times. I went with the upper arm. I have short needle, 0.5 cc capacity.
It burned slightly, is that normal?
Also the second time I used it I got nausea and I vomited. I did feel better after 10 minutes or so. Clusters never give me nausea or cause me to vomit so I assume it's the medicine.
Any similar experiences with the burning during injection, nausea or vomiting?

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #7 - May 1st, 2012 at 9:31am

I use the auto injector and have never had either side effect.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #8 - May 2nd, 2012 at 7:41am

Side effects with suma are common, but I'm not sure I've heard about the nausea before. What dose are you taking? I have found a lower dose (3mg, or .25ml) will do the trick without the most noisome side effects. Keep track of what you are feeling and let your dr know. blessings. lance

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!