Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
new surgical procedure (Read 8005 times)
ariel
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Long Island new York
new surgical procedure
Apr 5th, 2012 at 3:39pm

Hello, I have just returned from my neurologist. He wants me to go to Cleveland Ohio to see a Doctor Tepper there. They are doing a procedure which is similar to the occipital nerve stimulator, only this would be a small stimulator placed directly on the trigeminal nerve in the face area, guided by MRI and I believe the patient tells where the best response comes from. He said they are having very good results with it. He just saw a patient who went from 7 HA's a day down to one a day in which he didn't even need to use imitrex for because it wasn't that severe. It is same day surgery, & only done at this place, from what he has said. I am going to start by speaking with a financial planner then take it from there. I'll post along as things happen. I don't have a name for the procedure or any other info yet, such as cost but I will get all the info I can & post it as soon as I know more.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: new surgical procedure
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 4:17pm

Sounds like that little stimulator that's implanted in the upper jaw (incision is made inside the mouth behind the upper back teeth on the affected side), then activated with a wireless hand-held wand from the outside.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

ariel
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Long Island new York
Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 4:30pm

Oh wow, is that how they do it? My doctor showed me an area just next to my ear, on my cheek where it would go. Seems like it could cost anywhere from $30,000. to $46,000. but we'll see. No charity for me either, since I'm not a resident of Ohio. Someone will be calling me back by tuesday to get my payment for the consult & make an appt. I think the consult will be $900.00. So crazy expensive.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 4:46pm

Yeah, it is.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

ariel
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Long Island new York
Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 9:52pm

Is this is it? Scroll down to page 18. Dr Tepper is the doctor I will be seeing. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
f
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2012 at 9:54pm by ariel »  

IP Logged

ariel
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Long Island new York
Reply #5 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 9:56pm

I don't know why it won't attach the last letter "f" in that copied link. I've tried to do it twice.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #6 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 10:18pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Try this link (it doesn't have to be a secure, https link)

Looks like something similar. However, Dr. Goadsby spoke of it in Atlanta two years ago as being a wireless stimulator that was implanted via incision in the gum behind the upper wisdom tooth.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #7 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 8:06am

Ariel, that's an awful lot of money to put out on a surgery that may not help. Please consider very carefully all other alternatives you have heard about, but may have discarded for whatever reasons. I truly understand the desperation one can feel...I've been there, and not so long ago. Meds, med combos, doubled up and varied abortives, clusterbusters...run the gamut first. If you can find someone else to pay for this, that's a different ballgame, maybe...just concnerned for you because deep suffering can be a bad time to make lifelong decisions. God bless. lance

IP Logged

ariel
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Long Island new York
Reply #8 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 8:45am

Thank you, lance. I know that it's a lot of money. Believe me, I think I was seeing that figure in my sleep last night. And it's scary putting that much down on something that may not work. I'm not treating it lightly. After so many years of dealing with this, I recognize when things are becoming unsustainable. Doubled up combo first & second & even third line prevents, unattainable imitrex shots (2 vials a day? Who can afford that?) and now even prednisone not helping. I actually live in terror of the day when I will have 3 HA's a day & nothing to stop the pain. I have to try it. Even if I lose my savings. Besides, maybe it will even work. Imagine that? I wish I could be part of a study, but the ganglion cascade 12 years ago prevents me from being included in all studies. Not sure why, maybe it interfere's with their results?   I think that's a little unfair since most sufferers have tried various minor invasive procedures before. Well, I guess we'll see when I meet with this Doctor. I am still hoping they can help with the financial end of it.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 10:28am

Can I make a suggestion? Before you commit to losing your life savings on something that has a 50% chance of providing sustainable relief, go over to the clusterbusters message board, sign on, and start reading.

For a fraction of the cost (and I mean a teeny, tiny fraction of what you're looking at with this surgery), you can at least try a method that promises relief to 75-80% of those who try it.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Clusterbusters saved my life. And I do not say this lightly. Sufferer of over 20 years, 4 of which have been chronic and intractable. Minus the recent relapse I've suffered (which compared to the previous 20+ years has been actually somewhat tolerable), the last two years of my life have been PAIN FREE. And that happened after busting regularly (every 5-7 days) for a couple of months, then doing a maintenance dose every 4-6 months.

IP Logged

ariel
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Long Island new York
Reply #10 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 11:12am

Thank you Brew, I will look again at it. I am worried that they may not do the surgery if that is in my system. But, I will devote some time later today to reading up on it some more. I'm so glad it has helped you. It is good to know there is one more option as well  Smiley

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #11 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 11:23am

"It" doesn't stay in your system more than a couple of days. And I know of no routine test for it. Even with major employers, standard screenings only look for the big hitter substances.

IP Logged

ariel
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Long Island new York
Reply #12 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 11:34am

Oh, that is really good to know! I watched the nat geo youtube clip, and I was very interested in learning more. But then things just got so intense, very quickly.

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #13 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 11:38am

Quote:
Ariel, that's an awful lot of money to put out on a surgery that may not help. Please consider very carefully all other alternatives you have heard about, but may have discarded for whatever reasons. I truly understand the desperation one can feel...I've been there, and not so long ago. Meds, med combos, doubled up and varied abortives, clusterbusters...run the gamut first. If you can find someone else to pay for this, that's a different ballgame, maybe...just concnerned for you because deep suffering can be a bad time to make lifelong decisions. God bless. lance

I could not totally, and most strongly agree with Lance more.  Look closely around the cluster-buster site that Bill gave you the link to.  There have been so many who have had their life back with the use of this alternative. 

I cannot even imagine paying 900.00 for just a consultation, much less the exorbitant cost of the surgery. 

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Ellick
CH.com Veteran

ET found here.

x1|Aylesbury|UK
Reply #14 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 12:08pm

My advice is to try alternative's first and use surgical procedure as a last ditch choice. For me any surgical procedure has to have over 97% chance of success to be worth it.
Have you seen the stuff about using D3, magnesium and zinc. It is on the thread directly below yours.
Wish you well.

ET

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #15 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 12:20pm

Brew wrote on Apr 6th, 2012 at 10:28am:
Can I make a suggestion? Before you commit to losing your life savings on something that has a 50% chance of providing sustainable relief, go over to the clusterbusters message board, sign on, and start reading.

For a fraction of the cost (and I mean a teeny, tiny fraction of what you're looking at with this surgery), you can at least try a method that promises relief to 75-80% of those who try it.

Clusterbusters saved my life. And I do not say this lightly. Sufferer of over 20 years, 4 of which have been chronic and intractable. Minus the recent relapse I've suffered (which compared to the previous 20+ years has been actually somewhat tolerable), the last two years of my life have been PAIN FREE. And that happened after busting regularly (every 5-7 days) for a couple of months, then doing a maintenance dose every 4-6 months.

What he said.  I'm pushing ten years PF.

Potter.

IP Logged

Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus

It's always darkest before
the dawn.

North Carolina, USA
Reply #16 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 3:46pm

Cost aside even.  I don't know about a surgery like that.  Sounds scary.  I know we get desperate and all, but damn!

taratheking taraann77 taraann1977 peachypie77 imjustpeachypie  
IP Logged

Imitrex4Breakfast
CH.com Veteran

Kentuckiana
Reply #17 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 4:52pm

I wouldn't discard Brew's advice. Cluster 'busting' has been very effective for many. I Just watched another story about it on NATGEO.

I just returned from the Cleveland Clinic. There are 2 "Dr. Tepper's" there. My appointment was with Dr. Deberah (sp) Tepper, which (incoviently) relocated her office from the clinic to a hospital. I had to see a different doctor once there. (actually 2 neuro's came in to meet me) I was referred there for a "Deep Brain Stimulator" so I have another appointment with a neurosurgeon in late May. (right now the DBS is OFF the table IMO because my attacks are down in frequency and intensity due to Histamine Desensitization Therapy. (No major attacks at this time)

After seeing the neuro's and going thru all my past meds and treatments, they recommended .... KUDZU root. WOW! I was shocked to hear them say that. According to them, Cluster specific trials with KUDZU was very positive 'especially among chronics'.

Plz consider the alternatives before surgery (Both "Busting" and Brew's '123 days pain free' thread) and goodluck to you.

I4B

PS> to BREW: I'm getting ready to get the needed stuff to give your regimen a real try. I'll post and update later ... and thanks again.  Smiley

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #18 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 4:56pm

That's Batch's Regimen, not mine.

IP Logged

ariel
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Long Island new York
Reply #19 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 6:55pm

My appt will be with the male Doc Tepper. They want their money first (consult fee) & even then she said his next appt is end of July, but I'm hoping a doctor to doctor call will get me in sooner since my doctor already spoke with them. I've never heard of the histamine therapy, but it's amazing that it is helping you & I hope it continues to do so. I'm going to ask about that. When they recommended you try the Kudzo, did they give you all the info you needed & where to get it & how to use it, or did they tell you to go about it your own way? I'm so surprised they told you that, too. I have been on the d3 & other supplement regimen for almost 2 weeks now, and that I will continue. I think the deep brain stimulator sounds scarier. But, If it was offered to me & I didn't have to pay, I would jump on it, so I understand how you were ready to do it. Thank you everyone for your replies. I will be reading up more tonight. And I'm not just saying that. I really will. For now I'm tapering down my prednisone as quick as possible & then going to do another big hit, starting at 80mg this time. Something has got to give right now. I'm slowly losing the will to live. I'm so glad I found this place though. I wish so much we didn't have to, but it is comforting to know there are other people who understand this level of pain & not to be looked at as a complainer or weak, or asked why I can't just "take some tylenol & get on with it."   Cry

IP Logged

zacsz
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 4:11pm

Ariel,

I'll look up the information I have about the Kudzu, but I know you want to look for Planetary Herbals (previously Planetary Formulas). That's the brand to get, and can be found on Amazon. As for the dose, that's what I can't remember... but I'll look. I think other brands may work, but in the best study I've read on Kudzu's effectiveness for CH, Planetary Herbals (/"Formulas" in the study) was the most effective brand for whatever reason.

IP Logged

Imitrex4Breakfast
CH.com Veteran

Kentuckiana
Reply #21 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 9:56pm

Thanks Brew for pointing out that it is Batch's regimen. I gotta give credit were credit is due. Thanks Batch ! Smiley

As far as asking about Histamine Desensitization therapy, the Cleveland Clinic doesn't do it. You'll probably only find a couple hospitals in the USA that would do it. I only know of 2 places to get it done at. The Diamond Clinic and Floyd Memorial Hospital in So. IN.

An Occipital Nerve Stimulator has leads attached to the back of the neck / base of the skull area. What your talking about sounds like a Trigiminal Nerve Stimulator implanted inside the mouth. It requires 4 incisions (inside the mouth [a device about the size of a walnut], [electrical leads] near the temple and another higher, and on the chest [for the battery]). It's not a super invasive surgery (less than a DBS) but it is more invasive than the ONS.

I4B

I'll meet the neurosurgeon that does all these stims for the Cleveland Clinic on May 22.

IP Logged

zacsz
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 5:54pm

Ariel,

If you're interested in adding Kudzu, you want to get Planetary Herbals kudzu and take 1500mg three times a day. That seemed to have the best chance of helping as shown in a paper done by Dr. Andrew Sewell.
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2012 at 5:54pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

ariel
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Long Island new York
Reply #23 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 6:38pm

@I4B, who will you be meeting at Cleveland? Do you know? They have given me an appt for april 25th with Dr. Michael Stanton Hicks, but I don't think he is a neurosurgeon, so I'm a little unsure about it. But that is who my neuro wanted me to see. I will be travelling far & I hope I am being sent to the right person. Esp since I am paying for all of this out of pocket.

@zacsz, thankyou for the info on the kudzu, I am going to get it right away. I'm willing to try everything.

IP Logged

zacsz
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 8:46pm

@Ariel, no problem. Also, Dr. Stanton Hicks is not a neurosurgeon, but he is a Pain Anesthesiologist. He's the one who performed my SPG block so don't worry... he knows what he's doing!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!