Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cyproheptadine question (Read 2240 times)
Plakatboy
CH.com Newbie

x0||||0|0|
Cyproheptadine question
Mar 20th, 2012 at 1:36am

Hi,

Came across a post by someone on another board claiming good results with verapamil and cyproheptadine.

Has anyone tried this combo? I have not heard of cyproheptadine, any comments?

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Re: Cyproheptadine question
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 7:45am

Verapamil is of course a well known long term preventative for CHs. Cyproheptadine is an antihistamine with some history of use with migraines. Never heard of it being used for CHs but that doesn't mean anything. I'd be interested in knowing its use specifically for CHs or if it's just another migraine med migrating over cuz the docs don't know what else to offer. Blessings. lance

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 9:20am

I did a search and found several posts about it, all used it as a secondary prevent in addition to more common prevents like lithium and verapamil. Certainly not a front line prevent but it seems to have helped several sufferers. Do keep us updated on how it works for you:

Interesting comment on the serotonin receptors:

Although cyproheptadine is an antihistamine, it also blocks the serotonin 5-HT2a receptors.  So it has some action like kudzu and olanzapine. 

And a reference to it in an older OUCH newsletter:

There's an article on histamine and cluster headache in the most recent OUCH newsletter - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

From an older post 2008:

Cyproheptadine (periactin) is an anti-histamine and serotonin antagonist that is sometimes mildly helpful for clusters.  It is best used in conjunction with other meds for people with  hard to treat CH.  Fatigue and weight gain often are a problem for those who use it. 

Hope this is helpful.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 11:20am

wimsey1 wrote on Mar 20th, 2012 at 7:45am:
....or if it's just another migraine med migrating over cuz the docs don't know what else to offer. Blessings. lance

That was my experience in 1985>...doc had no idea what ch was so treated like migraine (heck, what else was he gonna do, what little is known now was barely known then). We did the whole migraine thing...Inderal, Tenormin, Fiorinal, Amitriptyline, several others I've forgotten...and Periactin. None of them did nada...but he was willing to script O2...which I had to introduce him to as a ch treatment. BEST by FAR...even tho I wasn't using right.

What intrigues me and possibly the medical community at the time, when ch was sometimes referred to as "histamine headache", is that early in my ch career ('82-'85,pre 1985 diagnosis) antihistamines seemed to help a little. I was all over the Periactin because I figured YEAH...that's the one....a really strong anti histamine! Was SORELY disappointed.

Never tried in combination with anything else besides the O2...so ???....But, this is the first I've heard about it in 20 years...thinking we would have heard more if it was successful  for more than a few. My bet is on the verapamil.....

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 12:28pm

Search produced 8 abstracts ranging from 1976 to 1987; nothing since. Two of them reported some inconsistent improvement but that the med disappears after that tells us what we need to know.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

CHMatt
CH.com Junior

Chicago
Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 10:34am

I'm a chronic CH sufferer for 22 years and I have been on cyproheptadine along with verapamil and Elavil for probably a decade and have had good results.  Occassionally a cycle breaks through and we knock it down with a course of prednisone or two, but all in all it seems to help.

When, over the years we've tried removing any one of the three main preventative medications (by tapering), including the cyproheptadine, the headaches have returned.

IP Logged

kika
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - May 3rd, 2012 at 10:46pm

Plakatboy wrote on Mar 20th, 2012 at 1:36am:
Hi,

Came across a post by someone on another board claiming good results with verapamil and cyproheptadine.

Has anyone tried this combo? I have not heard of cyproheptadine, any comments?

Intersting. Cyproheptadine is used to treat serotonin syndrome, so I would think that, if anything, using  it might actually be more likely to induce a CH than prevent one.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!