Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is it possible the Depakote is working already? (Read 2670 times)
Mike Bernardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Chesterfield, NJ
Is it possible the Depakote is working already?
Mar 15th, 2012 at 11:04am

I'm on 500mg for the first 2 weeks (1 week in), going to 1,000 next week. While my HA isn't gone, I feel a lightening of the load, and the hits in the evening aren't as severe. Not sure if this is simply the end of a 110 day cycle, or if the Depakote is already starting to work.
Is it possible it starts working in a week and at such a low dose?

IP Logged

ariel
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Long Island new York
Re: Is it possible the Depakote is working already?
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 3:06pm

I would like to know about anyone's experience with how soon Depakote may have helped them as well, since I am about to start on the same dose schedule as you are. Good luck to you, I hope it is working & hopefully the increase will knock it out completely.

IP Logged

Paul_zero6
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com... but not
CH!

NW Georgia/ Atlanta area
Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 11:52pm

When I first got CH, my neurologist put me on Prednisone, which made the attacks worse. Along with it, he had me take Verapamil, which didn't do anything. Next up was Indomethacin, which also did nothing.

Then he had me try Depakote, which became Divalproex thanks to BC/BS. Took one 500 mg. pill, and the headaches stopped. Completely. No shadows, no ice picks, nothing. After nearly 4 months of 3-a-day  K 8-9 hits, I was euphoric!

I eventually stopped taking the pills, and the CH didn't return. Got a few shadows during the next two winters, so I'd take the depakote again for a few days, and the shadows stopped.

This year is different. The headaches returned at the end of December, and the Depakote wasn't working. My doctor doubled the dosage, and the hits still became more frequent and more severe.

Going to see a new neurologist (I've moved since 2009) tomorrow. I've given up on the Divalproex altogether, and it really made no difference whether I got any attacks or not.

NOTE:
My doctor discovered that Depakote and Divalproex are NOT 100% compatable; dosage should be increased by something like 20-30% if taking Divalproex.

But 500 mg is the minimum starting dosage; if it seems like it might be helping, try taking two of them, and never mind any warnings you may find that say not to do that. That's what my doctor meant when he doubled the dosage: Take two pills instead of one.

Good luck, and hope the stuff helps!

"It is true that the gods answer all prayers.
"In my case, the answer invariably is mocking laughter." -- Peter David

IP Logged

Paul_zero6
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com... but not
CH!

NW Georgia/ Atlanta area
Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 11:53pm

And I don't know why that line about the Depakote/Divalproex compatability came out so large... sorry 'bout that...  Undecided

"It is true that the gods answer all prayers.
"In my case, the answer invariably is mocking laughter." -- Peter David

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 3:09am

Paul_zero6 wrote on Apr 17th, 2012 at 11:52pm:
...he had me take Verapamil, which didn't do anything.

What dose of verapamil did you try? Most people need around 360-480mg a day, but some need to go to 1000mg before it is effective.

All too often doctors give people far too low a dose and then assume that it is ineffective.

IP Logged

Mike Bernardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Chesterfield, NJ
Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 10:58am

I had a very low dose, if I remember correctly it was 120? but I also didn't tolerate it well. Luckily I'm finally out of my cycle, 115 days!! Worst one ever. I did 10,000 IU of D3. I think that helped.

IP Logged

Lenny
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Los Angeles,CA
Reply #6 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 11:19am

Mike Bernardo wrote on Apr 18th, 2012 at 10:58am:
I had a very low dose, if I remember correctly it was 120? but I also didn't tolerate it well. Luckily I'm finally out of my cycle, 115 days!! Worst one ever. I did 10,000 IU of D3. I think that helped.

Mike...thats great news...may it last forever.....Lenny

yes a newbie,unfortunately not to the beast!!!Chronic - Clusterhead

IP Logged

burnt-toast
CH.com Hall of Famer

economy|USA|PA
Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 12:44am

Look into this but...

I came across Depakote information in a stack of papers presented at a Neurology Symposium over a year ago.  As I understand it Depakote is no longer considered effective in the treatment of CH.

I'll look for the specific document and post it when I find it.

Tom

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.

IP Logged

japanzaman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Fukuoka, JAPAN
Reply #8 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 7:59am

Never again will I waste my time with Depakote. Give me pred, some immigran, and D3.

IP Logged

Darkfire
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

MD, USA
Reply #9 - May 7th, 2012 at 5:02pm

I am another one who Depakote did not work for. I lasted about 11 days on it. I had terrible side effects at 500MG and it did nothing for my HA's.

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #10 - May 8th, 2012 at 5:57pm

Another two cents here, it hasn't touched my CH or shadows after 1 month at 250mg or for the past two weeks, 500mg.

The only thing I've had in increase in is insomnia & uncharacteristic crying jags.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!