Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Prednisone Side effects?????? (Read 6097 times)
Craig A.
CH.com Newbie

Life is Fun.....

Bozeman
Prednisone Side effects??????
Feb 28th, 2012 at 5:26pm

Does anyone on Prednisone have trouble sleeping??? I'm on week 3 of the taper,the whole taper takes 8 weeks, now at 60mg. I go to bed and can't fall asleep, I watch the clock and finnaly fall asleep by 4am, then sleep for 2-3 hrs and wake. I am so tired.....
Thank you

Craig

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Re: Prednisone Side effects??????
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2012 at 6:15pm

Be thankful you are not waking every 2--3 hrs w/ a KIP 10.

Try some Melatonin before bed, many report it's helpful.

Enjoy your Pred taper Wink

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #2 - Feb 29th, 2012 at 8:27am

I did have trouble sleeping. It seemed I felt tired, but was too wound up to fall asleep. That, and being hungry all the time. As Gregg says, it was still a good tradeoff to get a few days relief. Blessings. lance

IP Logged

kdeen0201
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2012 at 12:20pm

I cannot use the Prednisone anymore, it throws me into a severe mania.

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2012 at 5:17pm

I gained like 20 lbs of water weight, but other than that, it worked during that period of time.

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

BobG
CH.com Hall of Famer

St. George, UT
Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2012 at 8:32am

I started a Prednisone taper a week ago and Verapamil. I was told by my doctor and the pharmacist to take the Pred in the morning and the Verp in the evening. I've had no problems (yet). The reasoning is the Pred will keep you awake and the Verp wil make you sleepy.

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.

IP Logged

japanzaman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Fukuoka, JAPAN
Reply #6 - Apr 7th, 2012 at 6:18pm

I get really bad acne breakouts when I come off of the stuff, but other than that no serious side-effects. I do take the stuff in the morning.

8 weeks is a pretty long taper though.

IP Logged

Evan O
CH.com Junior

Brooklyn, New York
Reply #7 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 10:24pm

Prednisone and Dexamethasone worked for me but with a price.  I was recently bumped up to Dexamethasone taper for 6 weeks. I gained 25 pounds, body aches and had acne breakouts all over the face and back. The roids give a nice break from my chronic attacks but ate away at everything else.

I didn't sleep much either, but to wash down the melatonin, try warm milk with honey!  There's no scientific evidence to support it and sounds silly, but it does contain tryptophan which is what the brain uses to produce your own melatonin. It helped me a little.

Good luck!

IP Logged

Ryder
CH.com Newbie

Jusrt make it to the next
minute. Good! Repeat.

San Diego, California, USA
Reply #8 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 10:50pm

To echo what Japanzaman said, it does seem like a long taper.  I go about 2 weeks, starting with 50 and working my way down to 10. 

I do get a little manic, which isn't an entirely undesirable side-effect, and I can see that might keep you up at night.

But 6 weeks?  Is that the normal taper, and my doc just hasn't caught up?  Or might you be on a taper that's too long?  Would be helpful to know.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #9 - Apr 10th, 2012 at 5:08am

Most tapers are over about 2-3 weeks, so 6 weeks is a pretty long one.

For me it makes me want to eat anything and everything and develop acne a bit like a teenage but it does kill off CHs for the duration.

IP Logged

Imitrex4Breakfast
CH.com Veteran

Kentuckiana
Reply #10 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 10:04pm

Even 6 weeks is a very long taper, especially if you're talking about taking doses as high as 50 - 60 mgs for a straight week before the taper. You're gonna blow up like a balloon!

High doses of steroid medications do work for me, but over the years and with repeated use, it has caused me SERIOUS problems by giving me A VASCULAR NECROSIS. It cuts off the blood supply and oxygen to your bones, among many other very bad side effects. I wouldn't take it lightly and only when the cluster attacks have gotten out of control or you could pay a hefty price for it later. You must find another preventative that works so you can wean off the steroids. (Steroids = a transitional medication)

Good Luck !

I4B

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #11 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 9:25am

Most of us have taken prednisone tapers for our CH and insomnia is just another of the many adverse side effects...

It's primary function for us is as an anti-inflammatory agent.  I've looked at several studies and surveys with respect to the efficacy of prednisone and have come to the conclusion it can be effective in reducing the frequency and severity of CH for short periods of time but the side effects can be onerous for some. 

The prednisone numbers are interesting...  It's the most frequently prescribed CH preventative.  Even the survey here at CH.com lists it as the most effective CH preventative...  The Cluster Headache Survey 1134 of us took in 2008 indicated 384 out of 681 CH'ers 56.4 % who had tried prednisone rated it as effective in preventing their CH.. 

As a transitional preventative that should only be taken for short periods.  Many neurologists suggest titrating up on verapamil during the prednisone taper. This practice is becoming the most popular and more frequently prescribed course of treatment.

I've also been tracking the efficacy of the anti-inflammatory regimen with 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 as a CH preventative over the last 17 months. 

So far the raw efficacy of this regimen is at 71% and growing slowly with over 150 CH'ers reporting and no significant adverse side effects among the CH'ers reporting a favorable response.  Episodic CH'ers enjoy a slightly higher efficacy although some of this may be due to confusing a favorable response with the end of cycle.

Having said that, there's a growing number of episodic CH'ers who are staying on the anti-inflammatory regimen to see if it will prevent their next cycle.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

burnt-toast
CH.com Hall of Famer

economy|USA|PA
Reply #12 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 12:54am

There are a wealth of Prednisone side effects.  Some very serious, particularly with long term use.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register is a good source for more detailed information.

Tom

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #13 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 2:46am

Craig A. wrote on Feb 28th, 2012 at 5:26pm:
Does anyone on Prednisone have trouble sleeping???

Certainly.  When Prednisone was prescribed for me, accompanying prescriptions came with it.  Zantac for the stomach and Ambien for sleeping.  I'd find them recommended, inquire with your doc.

IP Logged

Evan O
CH.com Junior

Brooklyn, New York
Reply #14 - May 21st, 2012 at 9:02am

It was an extremely long taper and I suffered crazy side effects. My impression was that the neuro wanted to wipe my system clean as the preventives werent working. Blowing up like a balloon is an understatement, but I was HA free for that 6 week period. I was then put back on Verapamil but with no success. Over the years, I was usually presdcribed prednisone for days at a time to try to break a cycle but never worked. Each of us are different, but the roids only gave me relief while I was on them. The HA's would return immediately after.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!