Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
seven year itch (Read 911 times)
deliberate stranger
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

seven year itch
Feb 10th, 2012 at 1:01pm

Hello all,
   I'm pretty sure I've had this problem my whole life. As a youngster, I didn't have the intense pain, but every year, like clock work I would have "allergies" that only affected the left eye, with lots mucus draining from the left nostril, tearing etc.
   While working as a nurse, I would have episodes that curiously were relieved by about 4 teaspoons of liquid Motrin. After a few years, I changed careers, and beat my liquid Motrin problem (lol). Not being diagnosed, and with the episodes still tolerable, I started a business, operating heavy equipment.
    With this new responsibility came a time shift in those episodes, that seemed to have brought along a fiendish cohort. A new definition of torment I'd never before endured. Initially, dayquil gelcaps, if taken soon enough, would stop the episode. But if not taken soon enough.....frantic expeditious trip home, which was sometimes a frightening trip, try to drive, and cover one eye, and scream at all of the innocents who just happen to be on the road.
   One day, it was unbearable, nothing worked, Extra strength Tylenol along with dayquil gelcaps, Tylenol 3, maybe excedrin and anything else in the drug cabinet. Tried lying down, standing up, lights on, lights off, running water, hands under running water, head under running water, standing on head in the dark with water running....no relief.
  My wife drove me to the ER where I was introduced to ergotamine, and the Dx, "you have Cluster Headaches".
  Since then, Imitrex (self injects) became a constant companion. It works, in 7 minutes, I was back to work. Then 9/11, I got deployed overseas, hmmm, no headaches the whole 18 months, maybe they're gone...... uh, no, merry Christmas, from 24 December 2004 to 5 January 2005, 18 episodes, which of course exceeded the usefulness of the Imitrex, not to mention a sore arm.
  The MD was more worried about my blood pressure and put me on Verapamil. I have taken it religiously for 7 years, without a recurrence of a CH........until now, currently in my ambiguous onset phase. The intensity of pain, once forgotten, now lurking behind my left eye....once more.

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Re: seven year itch
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 7:16pm

You are among family who understand now.  There is a tremendous amount of information available on this site and on our sister site Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register .  I recommend you read seriously and examine all of the options compiled on this site (and on the CB site).  As you are reading questions will arise. Ask them.  As you read more, more questions will arise.  Ask them.  Some answers may not sound like you want them to sound.  Ignore that.  Sometimes answers are written in such a way they can be misinterpreted.  Apply that knowledge to each answer or post you read.  Remember you are among family.  We do care about you, but sometimes like other family members we don't show that quite as lovingly as we should.

Some areas I would suggest you look into are the alternative measures found on the CB site.  They are not for everyone, and even those of us who cannot use them for the most part recognize their value.  Another area to examine is the Vitamin D3 regimen pioneered by Batch.  It has worked well for a good many who have used it.

For an abortive read the "oxygen info" button on the left side of your screen highlighted in yellow.  O2 has been a lifesaver for many of us.  It is much less expensive and is much less hazardous to your health than is Imitrex.  Warning:  O2 is definitely habit forming!   Grin  That is one habit I don't want to give up!  Withdrawal causes death.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 8:49am

How much verapamil? I only ask, becuase way back in the beginning of these things for me, 240mg/day was the standard dose and coupled with ergotamine, seemed to help. Although I think I just went out of cycle, like you. Now 35 years late, I am chronic, and my dose of 640mg/day seems to be useful. You may have some room to play with in your dose levels if your doc wants to try going up. And for the record, O2 is the best! Blessings. lance

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 9:16am

Welkcome to the board, the length of remission changes, the length of cycle changes, the only comstant is beasty always seems to come back. Undecided

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Take a look at the oxygen link. I'm a 33 year episodic sufferer and 02 has all but eiminated my imitrex use. Same abort time, 6-8 minutes, but without the trex hangover! Wink It's cheap, fast, effective, no side effects, safe, there's just not much to dislike.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!