Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
melatonin increased my anxiety? (Read 2995 times)
anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
melatonin increased my anxiety?
Jan 23rd, 2012 at 10:21am

Hey all
just wanted to share. I know that many take melatonin for night time hits. I have been taking it for awhile only 5mg and I am recently realizing that it has increased my morning anxiety? i know this sounds crazy when it is supposed to do the opposite? Any input would be great!
thanks all
Anthony

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: melatonin increased my anxiety?
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 10:46am

Perhaps something has increased your morning anxiety.

Don't make the intellectual mistake of blaming one thing before you've eliminated all the other possibilities.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 10:52am

thanks brew!
always great advice my friend!

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2012 at 8:21am

Anthony, like you, I've been taking Melatonin for awhile. I find it is most effective at 15mg, but at that level, I have a terrible time with dreams and sleeping. I've reduced my intake to 10mg, and while it isn't as effective at night, I sleep better even in between early AM hits. Everything's a tradeoff. Blessings. lance

IP Logged

Kilowatt3
CH.com Old Timer

1952 Jag

Lake Charles, Louisiana - USA
Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 6:58am

anthony g wrote on Jan 23rd, 2012 at 10:21am:
Hey all
just wanted to share. I know that many take melatonin for night time hits. I have been taking it for awhile only 5mg and I am recently realizing that it has increased my morning anxiety? i know this sounds crazy when it is supposed to do the opposite? Any input would be great!
thanks all
Anthony

I've never had a problem with "morning anxiety" from melatonin, but I do get the grogginess.  This can be eliminated very quickly by turning on plenty of lights.  Bright light is known to inhibit production of melatonin, and I've seen where it supposedly breaks down the melatonin in your system.  It definitely gets rid of the grogginess pretty effectively.

So, if the anxiety is a side-effect of the melatonin, maybe bright light first thing in the morning would help relieve it, too (?).

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim
SW Louisiana

If "that which does not kill me, makes me stronger", then how come I always feel like $hit after every near-death experience?
WWW kilowatt3  
IP Logged

Globi
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reply #5 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 1:12pm

I have just visited a anesthetist who told me this is not uncommon i you're taking melatonine. Pilots sometimes also experience these problems with melatonine. Maybe taper down a bit?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!