Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Poll Poll
Question: Does ice or heat help with your pain

« Last Modified by: Sharkbay on: Jan 21st, 2012 at 10:24pm »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Does ice or heat help with your pain ?? (Read 8545 times)
Sharkbay
CH.com Junior

Do as to others as you
would want done to you
and

Does ice or heat help with your pain ??
Jan 21st, 2012 at 10:16pm

After seeing people say that ice helps them with there pain I was wondering how many this helps I thought I would add heat to see how many use heat. MANY THANKS for your help

Do as to others as you would want done to you and you.

IP Logged

PlayDoh
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Re: Does ice or heat help with your pain ??
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 1:59am

I voted for heat on the neck, but I wouldn't say it relieves any CH pain, per say. Rather I use it to relax my neck muscles to relieve/reduce tension. I usually hit the O2, then lay down with a heating pad on the back of my neck, and side of my face.
I've done that since I seen a physical therapist who told me I was having tension headaches also, on top of CH. She had these heat pads from heaven and would wrap my entire head, shoulders up with warm moist heat. Then wrap my entire head with towels and 15 mins later I was so relaxed I needed another 15 to wake up enough to drive home. lol

As strong and tough as CH's are, I AM STRONGER!

IP Logged

Sharkbay
CH.com Junior

Do as to others as you
would want done to you
and

Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 3:47am

Hi MANY THANKS for letting me and other no this and MANY THANKS for helping me & others to. ALL THE BEST Les

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 9:37am

In the early days, before I really knew what CH was, I'd literally pack the whole right side of my head and the back of my neck with ice. Shocked Heat never helped me and tends to be a trigger for me in cycle.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Sharkbay
CH.com Junior

Do as to others as you
would want done to you
and

Reply #4 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 10:51am

MANY THANKS Joe for sharing this do you still use ice, When you say heat is do you mean weather or heat packs. Know need to replay only if you have time. TAKE CARE Les

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #5 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 11:51am

No longer use ice. Since oxygen I don't need it. As to heat, I was referring to allowing my body to get over heated. On cycle that can aggravate things for me.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus

It's always darkest before
the dawn.

North Carolina, USA
Reply #6 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 9:26pm

Being overheated is also a trigger for me.  But if I'm not overheated I sometimes use a heating pad on low.  Other times it's icey all the way  Wink

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
taratheking taraann77 taraann1977 peachypie77 imjustpeachypie  
IP Logged

Sharkbay
CH.com Junior

Do as to others as you
would want done to you
and

Reply #7 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 10:05pm

MANY THANKS for taking the time to tell me and others. Im thinking you must lay on your back with the heat pad on low.Im ok with the heat is't the hot wind that comes with it that Im not. If I put a wet cotton bud in my nose it helps me out. Works the same with cold wind. Iv used this for a long time to help me. When Im in a cycle I use it all the time to sleeping with. It helps me some.I only use it on my CH side. MANY THANKS Les

IP Logged

Lenny
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Los Angeles,CA
Reply #8 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 12:00pm

I did not submit a vote...the only place where ice helps me (is my eye) as i press in as hard as i can against the eye (when it feels as if it is about to explode) that is my worst pain "eye"...i only do this when it reaches 7.....Lenny

yes a newbie,unfortunately not to the beast!!!Chronic - Clusterhead

IP Logged

Purple (head404)
CH.com Junior

clusterbusters.com

Reply #9 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 6:23pm

Ice on my neck and temple not only helps me, it's still for me a way to abort in 10-20 minutes, most times (but unfortunately sometimes it doesn't work at all, and other times it works, but after... say one hour. By doesn't work, I mean does not abort, still it helps coping with the pain)

I press ice cubes in a plastic bag (commercial ice packs are not cold enough and too stiff) very hard on my neck, then temple, then neck, tracking the most intense pain, freeze down my neck to the point where I lose sensibility there (can't go to that point with my temple). Total relief comes all of a sudden. I can go back to sleep, but most times, I'm back up an hour after with the ice.

The harder I have to press against my neck to feel it helping, the greater the fears of losing control of it, probably on my way to a kip 10+

When I can't stand the ice on my neck more than 30 seconds at a time, I know I'll be able to control it very quickly.

I don't get pain in the eye anymore, and I'm not sure when this happened and why, but when I used to, I also applied the ice on my eye. It was harder then to abort with ice for I would have needed 3 hands to chase pain on all 3 spots at once. Plus I couldn't stand the ice on my eye very long.

Last thing, I forgot to check the box: heat doesn't help me at all

IP Logged

Purple (head404)
CH.com Junior

clusterbusters.com

Reply #10 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 6:47pm

hmmm I just realized I posted my Ice method also on another part of the forum. Thought that was on clusterbuster  Shocked I'm a bit confused, sorry, but while am at it, I'll add that the description above relates to the times I was facing the beast with that only tool, ice. Since 2007, when in an episode, I go on verapamil, lithium and I usually can sleep, but when I get a hit anyways, I go back to ice, and if I see it gets out of hands, I turn to Zomig nasal spray. But I decided last Saturday to turn rather towards clusterbusters.com
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2012 at 6:49pm by Purple (head404) »  

IP Logged

Sharkbay
CH.com Junior

Do as to others as you
would want done to you
and

Reply #11 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 8:44pm

MANY THANKS guys for taking the time to help me and others with there pain. I wish more would do as you guys have done. ALL THE BEST TO YOU

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #12 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 9:01pm

I chose ice on neck as that was the closest choice available on this poll.

My routine for temp relief while breathing o2 is a frozen bag of peas moved periodically to each pain area of head....eye, temple, base of skull, top of neck

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Sharkbay
CH.com Junior

Do as to others as you
would want done to you
and

Reply #13 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 11:42pm

MANY THANKS Gregg for sharing what works for you. Here is some thing that might help you and others use heat on the trapezius muscle lay on your tummy with a heat pack on the tender spot on the edge of the trapezius muscle try to keep it as hot as you can for an hour you may need some help as the heat packs need to be change as soon as they start to get cold.Do both sides. Don't do this if you are having an attack but. ALL THE BEST Les

IP Logged

Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus

It's always darkest before
the dawn.

North Carolina, USA
Reply #14 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 10:34pm

I agree, I like the frozen peas (or the mixed veggies I have in my freezer right now) on my eye/temple/or back of my head.  I also keep a frozen washcloth or two in the freezer.  It helps to cool me down with the moisture.  As for the heating pad that usually goes on my neck or back of my head.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
taratheking taraann77 taraann1977 peachypie77 imjustpeachypie  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!