Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
energy drinks (Read 3602 times)
Purple (head404)
CH.com Junior

clusterbusters.com

energy drinks
Jan 20th, 2012 at 2:02pm

It seems like everyone is on energy drinks, which I never knew... found out by coming here the other day
well I had figured caffeine by myself, and that's what I've been drinking, a very much lots of very strong coffees, past couple weeks.

But I have a couple of questions about this and I'm sure some of you have answers for me.

I saw the OUCH site promotes energy drinks, but with this warning:
Care should be exercised when using energy drinks as an abortive at the same time verapamil is being used as a preventative. The combination of taurine and verapamil should be kept to a minimum as this combo has been linked to heart arrhythmia. A good rule of thumb is to avoid consuming more than one (1) 8-oz. serving in a 24-hour period while on verapamil therapy. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

And it also says to look for "minimum of 80mg of caffeine and around 1,000mg of taurine per 8-oz".

So my question: do you all take this in consideration?

Also, with my 15 or so very strong coffees a day, I'm wondering how bad it affects my health, I mean my heart and  idk what else

thanks in advance for sharing your informations
Smiley
B.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: energy drinks
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 2:55pm

The caffeine acts a vasoconstrictor.

Taurine acts as a calcium channel antagonist, which is the same as verapamil, so the effect of the taurine is cumulative to that of the verapamil.

Verapamil is linked to some people having a change in their ECG (PR interval change), which is why it's important to get regular ECGs whilst taking verapamil or when changing doseage. If you add too much taurine, then it's effectively a dose change.

Where the PR interval changes, stopping the verapamil is effective for the vast majority of people in reversing the PR change.

However I've not seen anything that conclusively shows what number of cans of energy drink is "too many", hence the caution in taking only a "few".

I normally have just one can a day when needed, but rarely have had two.

IP Logged

Sharkbay
CH.com Junior

Do as to others as you
would want done to you
and

Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 7:38pm

Man if you are drinking 15 cups a day you must be dehydrated,This is not good for the muscles or the body and how it works.I think you should google effects of too much caffeine on the adrenaline glands and body, You might also want to google effects of dehydration on the body and how it works. ALL THE BEST

Do as to others as you would want done to you and you.

IP Logged

Purple (head404)
CH.com Junior

clusterbusters.com

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 8:15pm

Yeah, thanks Sharkbay, you're right, I drank too much coffee yesterday, I was realizing this today as I feel better and maybe because I drank less coffee LOL

Actually, I realize I'm used with the beast, but not with the meds I'm taking for it. I appreciate very much no more visits at night (3 nights now Smiley), but i find verapamil and lithium hard to cope with. It's only the 4th time I'm dealing with these, as before I took nothing but Tylenol with codeine and... endurance and ice.

So I'll skip the taurine if it has similar effects to verapamil, thanks Mike for this detailed info. Kind of creepy to know these are playing with my heart beat and... not sure I got what a PR change is but... it's scary...

I paid my first visits to clusterbusters today. Think I'd rather go this way, after all. Looks effective, mushrooms or LSA or something
Thanks everyone for the info
Smiley
B.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 8:19pm

head404,

This thread really should be moved to the board Medications/Treatments where you can search similar threads titled "Taurine/Caffeine Energy Drinks"

and "how much is too much red bull?"

and "I love red bull"

and "Red Bull"

and "Verapamil

and Taurine Caution"

and "Whats the real deal with taurine and verapamil?"

All of these threads can be found under the Medications/Treatments board and should answer all of your questions.

Good Luck Wink

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Purple (head404)
CH.com Junior

clusterbusters.com

Reply #5 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 8:38pm

oh-oh, all this is there? I asked the questions because I didn't see it... will search more next time. If someone wants to move this one  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 9:08pm

Purple (head404) wrote on Jan 20th, 2012 at 8:15pm:
So I'll skip the taurine if it has similar effects to verapamil, thanks Mike for this detailed info. Kind of creepy to know these are playing with my heart beat and... not sure I got what a PR change is but... it's scary...

There should be no problems with the odd energy drink. Just as taking medication at slightly different times is unlikely to make a big difference. It's just a matter of balance, don't go drinking 10 of them a day when also using verapamil.

The PR interval is the time between two points on the ECG (ElectroCardioGram) - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Ask your doctor about it when you get the ECG done.

As to worrying about your heart, most drugs people take will have interactions with different parts of your body. Several of those used with CH can also affect the heart. Personally with dealing with the combination of CH and migraine I've some that both raise and lower my pulse rate, so this is where my doctors use their skills to get the right balance as to what works best for me and also my CH / migraine.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!