Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Back Surgery triggered episoid (Read 708 times)
billyjoe
CH.com Veteran

Berthoud, Colorado
Back Surgery triggered episoid
Jan 16th, 2012 at 6:57pm

Hi All,
  It's been about 3 years since I've been here because I haven't had a Cluster for that long due to a low dose of lithium in the evening.  It's been a god send after suffering for 20 years.
  Then last week I had back surgery and I'm getting hit hard at my old times of 9pm and 2am.  I forgot how much it sucks and my heart goes out to all who never get a break.
  Anyways, I got my O2 today and dusted off the O2ptimask for a late night meeting tonight.  I also had to use a 4 year old Imitrex shot last night, that I swore I would never use again.
  I'm hoping the O2 works as good as it did  in the past and from what I can tell it is still the treatment of choice?
  I'd be curious if anyone else has experienced attacks due to surgery.  I was experiencing pinched nerves in my leg and the doctor de-compressed my spinal column and inserted some supporting hardware.  I suppose if you mess with the spinal column it can affect everything?

Take care,
Bill

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Re: Back Surgery triggered episoid
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2012 at 8:00am

Sorry their back to berate you, Bill. At least you're a vet of the beast wars, and have a handle on how best to deal with this thing. Yes, for many of us, myself included, O2 is still the top line abortive. We've learned to couple it with an energy drink (the taurine content of 1000mg or more) which seem to aid the O2 in doing whatever it is it does. I had surgery on my hand this past summer and found it had no impact either way on my CHs. That's not the same as messing with the spinal column though. Good luck with this, and God bless. lance

IP Logged

RTD
CH.com Junior

I thought it was just
me

Las Vegas
Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2012 at 10:30am

What drugs did they give you during recovery? I know when I severely broke my arm years ago and had surgery they gave me morphine and vicodin. I immediately went onto cycle. Through the years I have found that many different drugs cause me to go into cycle. Both pain meds and antibiotics unfortunately.

Rick

Thank God for my Wife and CH.com
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1192958797  
IP Logged

billyjoe
CH.com Veteran

Berthoud, Colorado
Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2012 at 11:56am

I was on morphine and Valium, but also suspect the anaesthesia during surgery.

Thanks for mentioning the energy drinks, as I had not heard of combining the two.  Although the thought of doing that at 2 am is scary.

The O2 is working well, but I'm cranking through it really fast. 

My doc also told me to increase my dose of lithium before bed and I made it through the night.  However I woke with a kip 5 that the O2 handled nicely.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!