Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
predisne (Read 2190 times)
Canes93
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|North Port|USA||0|0|FL,Florida
predisne
Jan 16th, 2012 at 9:57am

Just wondering what peoples experiences have been on prednisone.  My doc has given me 100 mg and it has knocked out the day headaches, but I still get the 1 am one.   I have also read the when you taper the beast comes back.  I hope not.  Any thoughts?  O2 doesn't work for me.

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Re: predisne
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 10:28am

99% of the time my CH returns while taprering down. Thats why you need to get on a prevent

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 12:16pm

Canes93,
Prednisone is a transitional med to be started at the same time as a preventive med such as Verapamil, Topomax, Lithium, etc.

The concept is that the transitional med is just that by definition.  Transitional is a temporary process between two processes.  Such as childhood is transitional between babyhood and adult.  Prednisone will typically provide relief to the CH sufferer by reducing the frequency (amount of daily attacks) and reduce the intensity (pain level) while on the higher side of the Prednisone taper.

Start high as you mentioned you are doing and over the transitional period of the taper (usually 2 weeks) you take less and less, as prescribed until you are no longer taking any Pred.

The preventive med usually takes about 2 weeks to build up therapeutic blood lvels in the body during ths transitional preiod.

So in a perfect world, the preventive med begins to take over, when the Pred leaves off.

It is common for the attacks to return when a CH'er reduces the Pred toward the end of the taper period. 

There are plenty of side effects of Prednisone that are not pleasant.  "To each their own."  Risk VS Reward!  This is a very personal decision you and your doctor should agree on before starting any medicine.

As for o2 not working for you....my guess is you are not using it properly.  There are plenty of threads about o2 therapy that should be of assistance to your learning how to provide relief for yourself with o2 therapy.  Start at the left side of your screen on a yellow tab titled Oxygen."  I'm curious if you don't mind sharing....

Do you have respiratory issues prohibiting your lungs from functioning 100%?

Do you have rib or spine injuries that are painful while using o2 therapy?

What size tank do you have? 

Are you using prescribed medical o2 or welders o2?

How high of a flow rate are you using? 

Are you using a Non-ReBreather (NRB) mask? 

When do you start o2 therapy, immediately at onset or several minutes into an attack?

Are you sitting, standing, laying down when using o2?

How many minutes do you breathe o2 before you determine it doesn't work?

Please share the speed of your inhales and exhales?

Before giving up on the least expensive, most effective and safe abortive treatment; do yourself a favor and read everything you can about o2 therapy again, ask more questions that are misunderstood and practice again on your next attack.  I am confident we can assist you with successful relief from o2 therapy.

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

JackBurton
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Near a Great Lake
Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 2:21pm

Have you ever heard the term HULSMASH? As in "oh look we're out of coffee and all I wanted was a nice cup of coffee this morning to sip contemplatively while watching the birds out the window but now that is ruined because WE ARE OUT OF COFFEE AND I WILL DESTROY THE ONE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS TRAVESTY WITH ALL MY MIGHT UNTIL THEY ARE NOTHING BUT A PILE OF APOLOGETIC DUST." that's what it does for me.

Plus it makes me hungry.

IP Logged

IndianaJohn
CH.com Hall of Famer

Into the jaws of the Beast

Decatur,Indiana,USA
Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 3:25pm

From my own personal situation, I found that taking the Pred at dinner worked MUCH better than taking it at any other time.  It knocked out my night time HA's pretty well and gave me time for my verapamil to build up in my system.

Did my brains fall out or is this headache over?

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 4:00pm

Many doctors recommend taking all of a day's regimen right when waking up in the morning as this most closely mimics the body's adrenal gland production of hormones.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #6 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 4:07pm

Brew wrote on Jan 16th, 2012 at 4:00pm:
Many doctors recommend taking all of a day's regimen right when waking up in the morning as this most closely mimics the body's adrenal gland production of hormones.

Yep, that is exactly how my neuro recommended taking Pred

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

chewbaccamonkeylunch
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Weatherford, TX
Reply #7 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 12:05pm

IndianaJohn wrote on Jan 16th, 2012 at 3:25pm:
From my own personal situation, I found that taking the Pred at dinner worked MUCH better than taking it at any other time.  It knocked out my night time HA's pretty well and gave me time for my verapamil to build up in my system.

^^^^100% this^^^^
I think this is the key to knocking out the nighttime hits. My neuro also suggests to take all 100mg in the morning. Meh, not me.  If I take them at dinner time I can actually get through the night pain free.
Need to hide the ice cream and the cereal and the gatorade and the pretzels and the fajitas and the cheeseburgers and the chicken fried steak and the orange juice and you know what, its probably best to padlock the fridge  Cheesy

IP Logged

Matt Miller
CH.com Junior

This too shall pass...

NW Arkansas
Reply #8 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 12:17pm

I am currently on a pred taper, and i take all mine at lunch. I and on day 4 right now, will start the actual taper in two days. So far it's been the first PF day/nights in a really bad 30 day run i've been having since the Solstice. i'm chronic, and seem to have high attacks during winter. just got to be too much with only getting 2 hrs sleep a night, so dr put me on the pred to give me a few days breathing room while we try to figure something else out.

Here's to wishing PF days to you all.

-Matt

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!