Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Verapamil + Melatonin Works For Me (Read 2430 times)
chandlerda
CH.com Newbie

"Reach for the sky 'cause
tomorrow may never come"

Mooresville, NC
Verapamil + Melatonin Works For Me
Jan 9th, 2012 at 9:20am

All,

Just wanted to post what is working for this round.  A little background on how my episodes.  My episodes are typically at night, with the first one kicking in around 2300, and the last one subsiding around 0600.  I have taken (as most of you) everything under the sun, with Midrin (discontinued) providing the most relief at onset of attack, and Verapimil as a deterent. Imitrex works for me, but I dont like the side effects.  Also, I have had good results with Ergotomine.

My cycle has started again after about 4 years in remission, I had some Verapamil left over from my last bout, and decided to try it.  This worked in keeping my attacks manageable (4/5 on Kip scale), but still existing.

I read on some posts that people have been gaining relief using Melatonin, so I decide to try.

I have 40mg Verapamil, and whatever the OTC dose of Melatonin is, and I must say I had a pain free night last night, while mixing both together.

Just wanted to share my experience with this mixture, but PLEASE consult your physician first.

Thanks,

Dave

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Re: Verapamil + Melatonin Works For Me
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 10:11am

I use both verapamil and melatonin, and I think there are quite a few of us who do. Funny thing about your experience with verapamil. That's such a really, really low dose...40mg. I take 640mg/day, and 10-15 mg of melatonin. Also, I didn't think verapamil worked without building up in your system. Still, it's hard and foolish to argue with success, when it comes to these things. Glad you're finding relief. God bless. lance
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2012 at 7:26am by wimsey1 »  

IP Logged

Globi
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 11:45pm

Not to be negative. Verapamil helped me a lot in the beginning as well. At the end it took doses above 1200 mg. But it slowly stopped working......and you cannot take verapamil all the time. You will have to take times off..... like in months. Maybe on a low dose that is different.
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2012 at 5:11am by Globi »  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2012 at 5:01am

I get a "taste" that you use Verap irregularly vs. being on a fixed dose full time. Reading you incorrectly? It's a med to be used daily.

Re. dosing:

Headache. 2004 Nov;44(10):1013-8.   

Individualizing treatment with verapamil for cluster headache patients.

Blau JN, Engel HO.

Background.-Verapamil is currently the best available prophylactic drug for patients experiencing cluster headaches (CHs). Published papers usually state 240 to 480 mg taken in three divided doses give good results, ranging from 50% to 80%; others mention higher doses-720, even 1200 mg per day. In clinical practice we found we needed to adapt dosage to individual's time of attacks, in particular giving higher doses before going to bed to suppress severe nocturnal episodes. A few only required 120 mg daily. We therefore evolved a scheme for steady and progressive drug increase until satisfactory control had been achieved. Objective.-To find the minimum dose of verapamil required to prevent episodic and chronic cluster headaches by supervising each individual and adjusting the dosage accordingly. Methods.-Consecutive patients with episodic or chronic CH (satisfying International Headache Society (IHS) criteria) were started on verapamil 40 mg in the morning, 80 mg early afternoon, and 80 mg before going to bed. Patients kept a diary of all attacks, recording times of onset, duration, and severity. They were advised, verbally and in writing, to add 40 mg verapamil on alternate days, depending on their attack timing: with nocturnal episodes the first increase was the evening dose and next the afternoon one; when attacks occurred on or soon after waking, we advised setting an alarm clock 2 hours before the usual waking time and then taking the medication. Patients were followed-up at weekly intervals until attacks were controlled. They were also reviewed when a cluster period had ended, and advised to continue on the same dose for a further 2 weeks before starting systematic reduction. Chronic cluster patients were reviewed as often as necessary. Results.-Seventy consecutive patients, 52 with episodic CH during cluster periods and 18 with chronic CH, were all treated with verapamil as above. Complete relief from headaches was obtained in 49 (94%) of 52 with episodic, and 10 (55%) of 18 with chronic CH; the majority needed 200 to 480 mg, but 9 in the episodic, and 3 in the chronic group, needed 520 to 960 mg for control. Ten, 2 in the episodic and 8 in the chronic group, with incomplete relief, required additional therapy-lithium, sumatriptan, or sodium valproate. One patient withdrew because verapamil made her too tired, another developed Stevens-Johnson syndrome, and the drug was withdrawn. Conclusions.-Providing the dosage for each individual is adequate, preventing CH with verapamil is highly effective, taken three (occasionally with higher doses, four) times a day. In the majority (94%) with episodic CH steady dose increase under supervision, totally suppressed attacks. However in the chronic variety only 55% were completely relieved, 69% men, but only 20% women. In both groups, for those with partial attack suppression, additional prophylactic drugs or acute treatment was necessary. (Headache 2004;44:1013-1018).

=======================================
SLOW-RELEASE VERAPAMIL

Dr. Sheftell applauded the protocol for verapamil used by Dr. Goadsby and colleagues, which entailed use of short-acting verapamil in increments of 80 mg. “This method was suggested by Lee Kudrow, MD, 20 years ago as an alternative to slow-release verapamil,” Dr. Sheftell noted.

“I would agree with using short-acting verapamil, rather than the sustained-release formulation, in cluster headache,” he said. “I prefer the short-acting formulation with regard to ability to titrate more accurately and safely. My clinical experience anecdotally demonstrates improved responses when patients are switched from sustained-release verapamil to short-acting verapamil.”

Dr. Goadsby agreed that his clinical experience was similar. “There are no well-controlled, placebo-controlled, dose-ranging studies to direct treatment. This is one of those areas where clinicians who treat cluster headache have to combine what modicum of evidence is available with their own clinical experience,” Dr. Sheftell commented.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

ImOnlyHuman
CH.com Sponsor

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 1:57pm

Looks like its time for me too dance again too. Have not had one since last April, but started a new cycle on Feb 1st, just like last year. Almost like clockwork. That is so weird to me, how its like the Devil was just watching his calendar and waiting.
     I just hope my doubleing up on my blood pressure meds ( verapamil) is as effective as it was last year. So far my headaches have not been to severe the last 3 nights, but I just had a 45 minute nap ( my usual start time ) and have got a pretty intense one going right now. Wanted to make sure I am "IN" a cycle.  Wow! I am pretty sure now that I am.
    So I will start doubling up on the meds today.
    One thing IS for sure, Its Nice To Know My Fellow Cluster Heads Are Still Right Here For Me!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!