Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Flying during a cycle (Read 1358 times)
LindaH
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Flying during a cycle
Jan 9th, 2012 at 2:16am

Fighting this demon for many many years now.  Been in remission for 6 years and WHAM!!!!  New years eve the devil is back.  I went to the Neuro last week for infiltration and only have KIP 1-2 about 1x night.  My problem is that I must take a nine hour flight to complete my project in Nigeria.  If I cannot go - I WILL lose my job!  Any suggestions or has anyone had experiences with CH and flying? Angry

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Re: Flying during a cycle
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 8:23am

Greetings Linda, and welcome. Yes, many of us have flown either while in cycle, or as chronics. I am a chronic, and for me, the flight wasn't so much the issue. Rather, I was in trouble when I reached my destination. I have carried Imitrex inections with me onto a plane, and had no problems making it through airport security. I just show it to them, making sure the labels and Rx are on the case. While I haven't yet used their service, there is a company who provides O2 at a number of destinations, domestic and foreign. Flying, or travel of any sort, can be a scary thing with CHs. Just make sure you have your abortives available and ready. God bless. lance

IP Logged

LindaH
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 8:42am

Hi Lance
THANK you soooo much for giving me hope!  I have decided to travel on Thursday but at the moment the security situation in Nigeria is not good. - So, lets hope I can make it through ok. Cheesy

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 10:05am

Whoa; if you're going into Nigeria you may need a lot more than just CH abortives. Boko Haram (?) is pushing towards the brink of civil war, but I'm sure you know about that. Stay safe, and stay healthy. Blessings. lance

IP Logged

LindaH
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 12:11pm

Yip!  I must say I am bloody scared - but the project must be closed off.  The problem is that we are working for the oil and gas industry ...... and at the moment there is huge protests against the Government for double fuel prices overnight.

Pray for me please?  Not only for the HA but for me to get home safely to my family.  Had an extrmely hard year last year - my husband passed away - four months later my mother passed away and then to add insult to injury my best friend of 37 years had to be taken off the life support. And THEN ............ the devil strikes!!!  Can you believe that one person can have so many bad bad things happen in one year?
Ohhh please forgive me for starting to rambling about everything ........... I am SOOOOOOO Scared for this demon to come and take possession of my head again tonight!
Be safe and thank you in advance for your prayers!
Regards
Linda

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #5 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 1:41pm

I fly a lot and it's just a matter of being prepared, although I've never had a CH whilst flying so for me it's a preventive!

IP Logged

LindaH
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 10:55pm

Thank you Mike.  I never flown whilst in a cycle.  Hopefully everything will go well.  My Neuro is not too happy with the flying and has changed my departure date for a week later. 

Kind regards
Linda
Smiley

IP Logged

bsic
CH.com Junior

Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 10:58pm

Just flew today.  I've flown day trips pretty regularly and no ch triggered

My hypothalamus is bigger than yours.
bsicaras  
IP Logged

LindaH
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 2:01am

Thank you very much for the feedback.  I was really numb with fear.  Must fly on the 12th and have also been HA free again after the infiltration.  I was just very worried that the cabin pressure could act as a trigger. Cheesy

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 7:32am

Look into a couple of long acting pill-form triptans - not sure what they're called in your part of the world, but in the US they're called Amerge (naratriptan) and Frova (frovatriptan). I've heard they can get you 8-12 hours pain free.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Matt Miller
CH.com Junior

This too shall pass...

NW Arkansas
Reply #10 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 1:00pm

Just for myself, i've flown with CH, as i'm chronic. I've gotten hit in the air, in the terminal, and even standing in security line once (they actually thought i looked suspicious and pulled me out for some one-on-one time! guess a guy standing in line pounding on his head with a red eye and running nose look fishy. i always fly in PJ's and Flip flops so it was much to look over, just annoying as hell having to stand their during a big hit).

Now, i'm not saying the flight triggered me or anything, just that i've had the headaches on flights before and they sucked but i made i through them like i do each and every one. Luckily for me my DR gives me xanax for long flights, so i took a few of them and just kind of drifted in pain for 2 hours until it was over.

Here's to hoping you have an uneventful PF flight.

-Matt

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!