Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Does pregnancy stop cluster headaches (Read 2508 times)
Sharkbay
CH.com Junior

Do as to others as you
would want done to you
and

Does pregnancy stop cluster headaches
Jan 7th, 2012 at 10:08pm

Im trying to find out if any women have had Cluster Headaches while pregnant. Going by what an other lady wrote on an other forum you don't get CH while pregnant or she didn't.

(Im not saying to get pregnant incase someone is thinking this might work for them)

I had a mate daughter at my place yesterday and she suffers with a type of Fibromyalgia she has suffered with this all her life except during pregnancy. When she is pregnant she gets on pain. This got me thinking thats why I asked Does pregnancy stop cluster headaches ??

In a quick google of this maybe it has something to do with higher levels of Progesteron
It might be worth checking out if you are a women. Progesteron if I read it right has anti inflammatory properties google it.

ALL THE BEST

This is what she wrote.

I have had cluster headaches for 30 years. I am a female medical practitioner and had access to very good care from neurologist colleagues. I was tried on all the preventative therapies - they would work for a while and then the headaches would break through.Oxygen was very helpful and I used Imigran IMI when I didn't have access to oxygen. In my early thirties I wanted to start a family but was very anxious about how I would cope with the cluster headaches during my pregnancy without being able to use both preventative and abortive medication.At that stage I was having clusters every 4 months that lasted between 4 and six weeks headaches occurring daily to twice daily. They made my life an absolute misery and I felt very neurotic and self obsessed when I was going through a bout of headaches.
To my amazement I had no headaches whatsoever during my pregnancy but I got a cluster within 3 weeks of delivering my son. I wondered what protective factors the raised hormone levels during pregnancy might be affording me and reflected on male predominance in cluster headache sufferers. My obstetrician told me the predominant hormone in pregnancy is progesterone. I went onto a progestogenic contraceptive pill(.I had been on a number of contraceptives previously but they had more oestrogen than progesterone). I found that if I remained on it continuously - without the customary 7 day period off it - I remained free of the headaches.This kept me headache free for 10 years. I then thought I would try and see if I could have a brief break from the pill - but the headaches immediately recurred and one they started the cycle of daily headaches ran its course for 4-6 weeks. So I went back on uninterrupted progesterone medication. I am now on hormone replacement - both progesterone and oestrogen as I am postmenopausal. I thought my cluster headaches were behind me but earlier this year I was started on anew antidepressant which works on the melatonin system and I had a cluster headache. I immediately treated myself with 2-3 times my usual dose of progesterone which I think halted the headache cluster.I stayed on this for about 10 days before returning to my usual dose.
So the take home message is that continuous progesterone based contraceptive treatment may offer you the miraculous help it afforded me - without it my life would have been terrible. You will need to talk to your own doctor about the potential negative effects for you - I had none fortunately. Obviously giving men progesterone is not straightforward and may well be out of the question.
I really hope this helps some-one out there.

Do as to others as you would want done to you and you.

IP Logged

Sharkbay
CH.com Junior

Do as to others as you
would want done to you
and

Re: Does pregnancy stop cluster headaches
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2012 at 8:22pm

Hi Kate MANY THANKS for your info. Iv found one study the only study done on this and 26% of the women said the same thing no CH while pregnant and lot of women with CH only have one kid so you are not alone there. As CH effect so they say older women more maybe CH dose have some thing to do with hormones.When you google what hormones do it is very interesting. I see a lot of younger CH suffers get CH at an age where the hormones are very active so hormones must play a big part in CH. Progesteron Creams or tablets may help you out big time with CH but have a chat to your Dr about them first. The only other study I came across was on migraines suffers 64% of women while pregnant don't get them.

While Iv been writing back to you Iv been researching and Iv found out some thing very interesting for me. In my last cycle (Nov just gone) I was looking for some thing to clean my lymph nodes I came across castor oil so I covered my body in it and went to bed fully expecting to wake up 1-2 hours later with a attack but I didn't wake up for about 6 hours later I had a little attack but I never had to get out of bed this hasn't happen with me in my 13 years with CH, And to my amazement it stopped my cycle half way through my CH cycle.

While researching I found out that castor oil can help hormone imbalance so maybe this is what stopped my cycle short of what it should have been.

( Just incases some one is reading this and thinking castor oil might work on them please do your research and chat with your DR as I wasn't on any meds at all ( help fix's one thing wreck an other) and I was drinking 3Lts of water a day and eating healthy food, women have to be more careful then men)

MANY THANKS KATE for taking the time on me much appreciated. ALL THE BEST TO YOU

IP Logged

Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus

It's always darkest before
the dawn.

North Carolina, USA
Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2012 at 12:54am

Hi,  I personally did NOT have any ch's while preggo's (2 times)  But did have a bad bout of either migraines or 'stress' headaches during each of my pregnacies, but just during my first trimesters.  After that I was in the clear.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
taratheking taraann77 taraann1977 peachypie77 imjustpeachypie  
IP Logged

Sharkbay
CH.com Junior

Do as to others as you
would want done to you
and

Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2012 at 6:59am

Hi Tara-Ann MANY THANKS for taking the time to let me know this. I hope you get some relief from what the other Dr lady does, Extra progesterone may help you out with your CH You can buy a cream it at the chemist or you can take a tablet but please see your Dr first, TAKE CARE & GOOD LUCK TO YOU

ALL THE BEST Les

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #4 - Jan 15th, 2012 at 7:56am

Brilliant!  Glad you cleared that up for us.

Potter

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!