Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Botox for Cluster: recent evaluation (Read 9773 times)
Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Botox for Cluster: recent evaluation
Jan 5th, 2012 at 10:16am

Handb Clin Neurol. 2010;97:217-32.
Botulinum neurotoxin in the treatment of headache disorders.
Mauskop A.
Abstract
Botulinum neurotoxin (BoNT) has been in clinical use for the treatment of headaches for over 15 years. Recent double-blind placebo-controlled trials have confirmed the efficacy of BoNT type A (onabtoulinumtoxinA, Botox) in the treatment of chronic migraine.

THE EFFICACY OF BONT IN THE TREATMENT OF EPISODIC MIGRAINE HEADACHES, CLUSTER HEADACHES, AND CHRONIC TENSION-TYPE HEADACHE (TTH) HAS NOT BEEN EXAMINED IN LARGE CONTROLLED TRIALS.

Presumed mechanisms of action of BoNT in headache disorders are the reduction of afferent input induced by muscle relaxation and inhibition of the release of neurotransmitters, such as glutamate and calcitonin gene-related peptide, from peripheral sensory nerve terminals. Over 20 years of extensive clinical experience has established a remarkable safety for BoNT, particularly type A and specifically Botox or onabotulinumtoxinA, which has been used much longer and more widely than any other form or serotype of BoNT. Because BoNT is a biological product, the safety and efficacy of one BoNT formulation cannot be extrapolated to a different one, even of the same serotype.

Copyright © 2011 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.

PMID:20816423[PubMed]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Cailin
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: Botox for Cluster: recent evaluation
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 1:22pm

Has anyone had a good result from Botox I'm going in to get it on Monday that and steroids am stuck in a spiral of pain with no way out am open to anything at this stage but am somewhat anxious also would like to hear from anyone who has had a good result (or any result)

thanks Undecided

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2012 at 5:55pm

Cailin,

Check your PM InBox...  I've also attached a paper below on the treatment of headaches with botulinum toxin you might find worth reading.  Calculate your risk:reward ratio with this method of intervention.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (115 KB | 25 )

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2012 at 6:25pm

Bob Johnson wrote on Jan 5th, 2012 at 10:16am:
Handb Clin Neurol. 2010;97:217-32.
Botulinum neurotoxin in the treatment of headache disorders.

THE EFFICACY OF BONT IN THE TREATMENT OF EPISODIC MIGRAINE HEADACHES, CLUSTER HEADACHES, AND CHRONIC TENSION-TYPE HEADACHE (TTH) HAS NOT BEEN EXAMINED IN LARGE CONTROLLED TRIALS.

Presumed mechanisms of action of BoNT in headache disorders are the reduction of afferent input induced by muscle relaxation and inhibition of the release of neurotransmitters, ... from peripheral sensory nerve terminals.

By preventing the release of acetylcholine, the muscles don't talk to each other.  It can decrease spasm, which can be very painful, but is usually secondary to whatever else is going on.
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2012 at 6:28pm by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 9:17pm

We shall see.... got the injections today. The neuro said to give it two weeks and then evaluate for any results....I got them for tension migraines and perma- knots in my neck muscles...he told me they dont work on clusters?.what does he know  Wink..but will not hurt them in anyway.
started in the forehead worked his way around the temples, behind the ears, back of the head and down the neck to the trapezius on both sides....30 injection sites.....I'm going to be 20 again tomorrow.... Smiley Smiley
eye heart 02 and caffeine Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 9:29pm

Oh ya...thanks again Bob...
the bb

IP Logged

Cailin
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Mar 28th, 2012 at 5:42pm

I have finally given in and gone for the botox and I have to say I wish I did it ages ago!! It works and at last I am in mid range pain and I can think as opposed to being a crazed deranged nutcase 24/7

I know it's a poison etc but it works people well it did for me anyway Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #7 - Mar 28th, 2012 at 8:45pm

Cailin, please stop this poison routine! The ignorance of people around medicine/treatment is enough in the spontaneous state without adding more hot language to our discussions.

In reality, H2O--Water--can kill you if you drink too much, at one time, inthe wrong settings. Of course, it's extreme and irresponsible to say such things here--but get my point.

Botox is useful and safe in skilled hands. Effective for Cluster?? --another question.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Cailin
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 7:43am

I don't think it is actually effective for cluster to be honest I am using it to combat my chronic migraine which leaves me completely exhausted and unable to function these are secondary to the cluster that I also suffer I am taking other routes to tackle those so I am not using botox to combat cluster.

I know you are around a lot longer than me and you are a lot wiser than me and you are really trying to help and advise me and I appreciate that, but to be honest and I am really going to be honest here if I don't something here in the short term and this is short term just to get a break and a rest for a little while I won't be here much longer. My life is hell I have been in extreme pain for years now and I may grasping at straws but sometimes you just need to float a bit so you can get the energy to swim again if get what I mean. Straw floats and I need to float.

I'll get back in and swim again but I need to float right now just for a bit and if a bit of Botox helps me to float then so be it but thanks for you reply it's nice that you care enough to write it and I'm sure you can understand that sometimes it gets too much.

To clarify for others though Botox is not really a treatment for cluster it's for chronic migraine I just happen to be blessed with both Cool

IP Logged

Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus

It's always darkest before
the dawn.

North Carolina, USA
Reply #9 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 9:19am

didn't work for me.  Great if it works for anyone one else though!!!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
taratheking taraann77 taraann1977 peachypie77 imjustpeachypie  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #10 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 8:41am

Cailin, I don't think Bob was upbraiding you for trying the botox treatment at all. No judgment on that. He's just concerned with the comment about it being "poison." Anything we take to combat the beast is going to be a more or less foreigner to our body's usual chemical production: and probably poisonous in one way or another especially since we need such high levels for them to be effective. We have been where you are, and I am still there, and I get grasping at straws. Hell, there are times when I think I'd do anything, including a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, or making a voodoo doll image of the beast and giving it back some of its own, just for relief. So you hang in there. Vent and all that. And I pray you find that relief you need so much. God bless. lance

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #11 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 9:39am

I'm with lance, Bob was just concerned with the verbage. I hear you, in high cycle, when the beast completely has you flat, you'll reach for anything.

Hoping the Botox continues to keep the migrains at bay, give you a little more strength to fight beasty with. That's a full plate you're running with, here's hoping you catch a break soon.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Cailin
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - Apr 2nd, 2012 at 4:25pm

I think us Irish are a bit more glib than the rest of the world! Considering we make all the Botox I feel I should at least buy a bit of it support the home economy and all that. Doesn't appear to be working after all that but at least it was worth a shot I suppose.

I really don't know what to do with these headaches now between the clusters and the constant migraine I'm in bits but there's not much I can do about it, have to get up and go no choice just keep going, tears flow in the car, and then get out look normal and go to work Cry You know the drill guys

IP Logged

RandyB
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Toledo|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #13 - Apr 13th, 2012 at 3:32pm

Got about 50 free unit of Botox injections today. Nuero had some left over from another patient. He said we could try it and it has worked for another one of his cluster patients. Got them this morning around 11am. I am waitng to see if my 3-3:30 pm hit comes around. Will let you know how it goes.

I tried the Vit D3 route and it worked for about 2days. I kept on it for almost a month 20,000 units a day but after a month I think I have given up on it.

I have a few other things to try this week, including adavan....

IP Logged

Squirrel
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Wisconsin
Reply #14 - Sep 7th, 2012 at 11:35am

How did it go Randy?

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #15 - Sep 7th, 2012 at 12:18pm

Curr Treat Options Neurol. 2003 Nov;5(6):483-492.   

The Use of Botulinum Toxins for Chronic Pain and Headaches.

Argoff CE.

Cohn Pain Management Center, North Shore University Hospital and New York University School of Medicine, 4300 Hempstead Turnpike, Bethpage, NY 11714, USA. pargoff@optonline.net

The use of botulinum toxin in the management of various neurologic and non-neurologic disorders has grown considerably over the past decade. At the same time, new information regarding the mechanism of action of these toxins has evolved allowing for a greater understanding of the versatility of these agents. Although two types of botulinum toxin (type A Botox and type B Myobloc ) are commercially available in the US, most studies of the use of these toxins for the management of chronic pain and headache have been completed with type A. Data from open-label and retrospective studies as well as clinical practice suggest as strongly as possible that there is a role for these agents, especially Botox, in the management of several chronic headache disorders, including chronic migraine, chronic tension-type, cervicogenic, and cluster headache. Emerging data regarding the use of these agents for so-called "analgesic-rebound" headache also appear impressive; however, as of yet, no multicenter, randomized, controlled studies for any headache type have been published that confirm the results seen in noncontrolled studies. Nevertheless, the benefit that some patients experience from this agent is impressive, and this drug appears for many to modify the disorder in a very positive manner. In a similar fashion, data for other pain states are often restricted to open-label and case study approaches; however, clinical experience and some of the available studies (even small controlled studies) suggest a role for the toxins in the management of various chronic pain states, such as myofascial pain, low back pain, and neuropathic pain. One of the greatest challenges ahead for all interested in this area is confirming the benefit seen clinically through appropriately designed multicenter, randomized, controlled studies.

PMID: 14516525 
================================================================================
=====================

J Headache Pain. 2007 Sep;8(4):236-241. Epub 2007 Sep 24.
Botulinum toxin type-A therapy in cluster headache: an open study.

Sostak P, Krause P, Förderreuther S, Reinisch V, Straube A.

Department of Neurology, Klinikum Großhadern, Ludwig-Maximilians University, Marchioninistr. 15, 81377, Munich, Germany, Petra.Sostak@med.uni-muenchen.de.

The objective of this open single-centre study was to evaluate the efficacy and tolerability of botulinum toxin type-A (BTX-A) as add-on in the prophylactic treatment of cluster headache (CH). Twelve male patients with episodic (n=3) or chronic (n=9) CH, unresponsive to common prophylactic medications, were treated with a cumulative dose of 50 International Units (IU) BTX-A according to a standardised injection scheme into the ipsilateral pericranial muscles. One patient with chronic CH experienced a total cessation of attacks and in 2 patients attack intensity and frequency improved. In another patient with chronic CH typical attacks were not influenced, but an ipsilateral continuous occipital headache significantly improved. Patients with episodic CH did not benefit from BTX-A treatment. Tolerability was excellent. THESE FINDINGS PROVIDE EVIDENCE THAT BTX-A MAY BE BENEFICIAL AS AN ADD-ON PROPHYLACTIC THERAPY FOR A LIMITED NUMBER OF PATIENTS WITH CHRONIC CH.

PMID: 17901920 [PubMed}
================================================================================
==========

Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2009 Apr;13(2):164-7.

The role of nerve blocks and botulinum toxin injections in the management of cluster headaches.
Ailani J, Young WB.

Jefferson Headache Center, Gibbon Building, 111 South 11th Street, Suite 8130, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA. jessica.ailani@gmail.com

Cluster headache (CH) is a primary headache syndrome that is classified with the trigeminal autonomic cephalalgias. CH treatment involves three steps: acute attack management, transitional therapy, and preventive therapy. Greater occipital nerve block has been shown to be an effective alternative bridge therapy to oral steroids in CH.

BOTULINUM TOXIN TYPE A HAS RECENTLY BEEN STUDIED AS A NEW PREVENTIVE TREATMENT FOR PATIENTS WITH CHRONIC CH, WITH LIMITED SUCCESS.

PMID: 19272284 [PubMed]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!