Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Olanzapine SUNCT treatment. (Read 3567 times)
BigMatt
CH.com Hall of Famer

Live to ride, ride to
live.

Mountain View, CA
Olanzapine SUNCT treatment.
Jan 3rd, 2012 at 6:43pm

Well believe it or not I finally found a doctor that knew what to use to treat me.
So this is my third cycle of SUNCT first was a year than a year off second lasted two years then about fourteen months off and this one started three years ago and is still going. For those who do not know me or SUNCT it is a close cousin of CH comes in cycle effects one side of the head around the eye, I do not get a severe attacks as you guys but the pain is 24 hours a day and after three years I am luck I have not put a bullet in my head for sure. So a couple months back I was at work and an email came through about a doctor giving a woman’s health seminar and as I was about to delete it being a guy I noticed the guy giving it was the director of the Stanford Headache Clinic, now I have worked here at Stanford for six years and we have never had a headache clinic surprisingly being a teaching hospital and university, anyway I start emailing him and telling him about my SUNCT and finally got an appointment for 12/21the man was anti pain medication big time and was giving me a hard time but I told him make the pain go away and I will stop taking pain medication. He told me he was treating a woman that lives in SoCal with SUNCT and she comes up to be treated, that is a first I have only found four others on the Internet that have this so a doctor that not only know what it is but that is treating someone was great to hear. He seemed confident he could help me and had me start taking a new antipsychotic medication called Olanzapine and the next four days I had 0 pain first time in three years and since then only breakthrough headaches the longest one lasted four hours but not a bad one and the rest are in minutes. What a Christmas present and at the best possible time, three days before I was at my parents to celebrate Christmas with all my family and my father being the puts that he is got in my face and triggered a complete breakdown the like I have never had before and at one point when I was outside losing it I knew if someone handed me a loaded gun I would not have hesitated to use it, scares me to know I was that far gone, I just was in so much mental pane that ending it once and for all seemed to be a good idea, sure glad I did not have a gun then three days later I see the new doctor and he makes the pain go away, I still feel the lesser symptoms and the breakthrough headaches but it is night and day from what I was feeling. I have no idea if this would work for CH or not but might be worth checking with your doctor since it is a new medication or at least so I hear. PF wishes to you all and a Happy new year. Smiley

Matt

There is no stronger a person then one who can deal with brain pain and still function.
http://www.facebook.com/#/home.php?ref=home Mattrf  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: Olanzapine SUNCT treatment.
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 8:35pm

Zyprexa, or olanzapine, is not new. It was approved for the treatment of the manifestations of psychotic disorders on September 6, 1996, and has been used off label for some headache disorders for over a decade.

It went generic in 2011.

Glad you're finding some relief.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 9:20pm

Matt that's GREAT news, congrats brother.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 9:21pm

Great news Matt that you've finally got something that gives you relief.
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2012 at 9:21pm by Mike NZ »  

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 9:17am

So happy you have found some relief Matt.

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 12:43am

Matt, that is the best news I've heard in quite a while!  I hope it keeps it up for you.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Reply #6 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 9:40am

Excellent!!!   Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Sponsor

www.mosaicwench.com

Near Milwaukee WI, USA
Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 7:36pm

Matt, I am soooooo happy for you.  You deserve a break.
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2012 at 7:38pm by Mosaicwench »  

“Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.”
~Flaubert
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?id=1240423960&ref Mosaicwench  
IP Logged

Grandma_Sweet_Boy
CH.com Alumnus

What Goes Around Comes
Around!

Georgetown,Ontario
Reply #8 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 9:28pm

That's great news Matt Smiley

IP Logged

Wonder Woman
CH.com Newbie

Able to will brain energy
into muscles and limbs

Atlanta
Reply #9 - Jan 8th, 2012 at 10:07am

Matt
Makes me warm and fuzzy inside and smiley outside to hear that you are PF. !!!
I too have been diagnosed with SUNCT and have used a combination of Lamotrigine (Lamictal) and verapamil to control headaches, for several years. Lamotrigine is also used for epilepsy and more often bi polar symptoms.  If memory serves me correctly, I had been on this combination of meds since 2008. Occasional minor breakthroughs--mostly in the form of ghosts and then completely pf for over a year.
This is where a do the Happy Dance.
With neuro's blessing dropped the the lamictal about 4 months ago. Continued with the verapamil.  I use it with another med to control High Blood Pressure. 
Four days ago got that feeling behind the eye. Battling a bad bad cold--so tried to be positive and blame it on that. Well, you can guess---headaches were rolling steadily yesterday.
I am re-examing lifestyle changes.  I had been doing "batch' treatment, without knowing of it, for several years. Well, I did know I was taking the cal, omega and Vit D. for health reasons for the last several years. Also, daily RedBull. haha
Over the last 3 weeks I have stopped those. Silly reasons, busy busy, then sick. Dropped in to visit this site last nite. (its such an upper to know someone understands what I am experiencing. Cool ) First message I picked was yours, second the 23 pages of the batch report. Needless, to say I got up out of my chair and went to take my cal omega and d.
I'll give it a try before I call the nuero.
When I read others on this board, I can only feel thankful that I have SUNCT instead of full blown clusters. I have a worry that my own little devil could morph into the big time one day. Have you ever heard of that happening? Hopefully, that is only my biiiigggg imagination at work.
I slept through the night without a ding and so far this morning pf.
Who knows?
Wonder Woman

IP Logged

BigMatt
CH.com Hall of Famer

Live to ride, ride to
live.

Mountain View, CA
Reply #10 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 6:39pm

Never heard of SUNCT turning into  CH but who knows there are only 20 of us who are documented cases of SUNCT, when the doc looked at me and started saying what was normal for a SUNCT sufferer I laughed and he asked why, I looked him in the face and said how can you say anything is normal for SUNCT when there are so few documented cases, he laughed and just said good point. Lol
Well all I know is this is my third time still do not know if I will get my year off or if I am chronic now but dam glad I have a weapon that seems to work and hope it continues to work. I have already titrated down on my Fentanyl patches and was able to stop them all together last week and only take a few pain pills and to keep from having withdrawals but hope to get Suboxone soon form my doctor so I can stop them as well and not have to take anything, the breakthroughs are not bad enough nor do they last long enough to need anything strong. Hope you all find some PF time and Wonder Woman talk to your doctor about trying what I am on or the Ketamine infusion as well maybe one will work if you pain is not going all the way away with what you are using now, after three years of constant pain to be almost pain free makes me want to climb on the roof and scream I am that happy.
Smiley

There is no stronger a person then one who can deal with brain pain and still function.
IP Logged

Wonder Woman
CH.com Newbie

Able to will brain energy
into muscles and limbs

Atlanta
Reply #11 - Jan 17th, 2012 at 10:33pm

Matt
More than likely you have read the description on SUNCT on wiki but if not I am including the link. Be sure and read the part pathophysiolgy that refers to prolactin levels

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Just a thought.
I have a tumor on my pituitary gland -a microprolactanoma. Small non malignant. I have been on a med for this condition for years. Recently I have been reducing this drug--with dr ok. We are checking prolactin levels. My levels have been rising in the last month. So have my headaches. Who knows? Maybe this is related for me. I definitely will be discussing this with my doc.

My prolactin levels have never been way past what is acceptable in the medical arena==but I do seem to react to the increase in prolactin.

So anyways  --you might think about having your prolactin levels checked. Its a blood test thats not expensive.

My drugs for preventing headaches are verapamil, bystolic, I do have high blood pressure so this works for me. I have used lamictal- an anti seizure drug.

Hope the olanzpine has kept you pain free and the other nasty stuff disappears from your medicine chest. Smiley

Wonder Woman

IP Logged

BigMatt
CH.com Hall of Famer

Live to ride, ride to
live.

Mountain View, CA
Reply #12 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 10:34am

Saw the doctor yesterday and got the new script for Suboxone so picking it up today and hope to be able to stop all the pain medication. The headaches are still at bay and only get breakthroughs so I am still very happy so was my doctor after this cycle lasting over three years without a break.

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #13 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 11:22pm

Matt, I hope they never return!  All the best, my friend.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!