Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Perhaps a bit morbid ... (Read 1385 times)
Traveller
CH.com Veteran

Tampa, FL
Perhaps a bit morbid ...
Jan 1st, 2012 at 10:40pm

But, as I read through the literature I have not found any instances of a post-mortem analysis of a CH sufferer's brain.  Many theories about the hypothalamus and related ideas, but I wonder if there has ever been a post-mortem study to examine these theories?

Is there a recognized center that specializes in CH's?  I ask because I for one would be willing to donate my brain (once its no longer needed!) for study.  I know this is pretty morbid, but like many I have arranged for organ donation upon my death, and allowing someone the opportunity to examine my brain would seem to be a worthwhile purpose if it could shed some light and perhaps help CH sufferers in the future.

Hard topic to discuss, and I hope I don't offend anyone, but it is something I have thought about.  If this is somehow inappropriate to the board then please delete and accept my apolgies.

IP Logged

PlayDoh
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Re: Perhaps a bit morbid ...
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 12:37am

Interesting, and very admirable of you I might add. I'm sure if you 'made arrangements' such a study would or could take place. I'd give my brain also, heck I'd donate me entire body to be studied. Yet I'd like at least the majority of it returned, cremated for burial purposes. Yet if that was impossible, I'd still donate.

As strong and tough as CH's are, I AM STRONGER!

IP Logged

IndianaJohn
CH.com Hall of Famer

Into the jaws of the Beast

Decatur,Indiana,USA
Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 10:20am

What institution would want them?  Would it not be best for an institution that is actively researching CH to have it?  Is there any institution in the States that is studying the pathology of CH?

Did my brains fall out or is this headache over?

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 12:18pm

Dr. Goadsby has talked of a brain bank. You might want to contact his office.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 12:31pm

Peter Goadsby was at this location when he published his studies on the role of the hypothalamus.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 12:25am

The brain has to be harvested within a very short time for it to be useful.  therefore, you would have to be at the med center that would be doing the study for it to be of any value.  I talked with Dr Goadsby about it at OUCH a year ago and there is no practical way of donating at this time.  All of my organs are to be donated and or donated to science for study.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #6 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 6:15am

I donated drummer's brain to Doc Goadsby but they couldn't find it.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!