Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Depression & Anxiety in Cluster (Read 2234 times)
Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Depression & Anxiety in Cluster
Dec 21st, 2011 at 12:01pm

Headache. 2011 Nov 11.
Depression and Anxiety in Episodic and Chronic Cluster Headache: A Pilot Study.
Robbins MS, Bronheim R, Lipton RB, Grosberg BM, Vollbracht S, Sheftell FD, Buse DC.
SourceFrom The Montefiore Headache Center, Saul R. Korey Department of Neurology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY, USA (M.S. Robbins, R. Bronheim, R.B. Lipton, B.M. Grosberg, S. Vollbracht, F.D. Sheftell, and D.C. Buse); North Shore Hebrew Academy High School, Great Neck, NY, USA (R. Bronheim); The New England Center for Headache, Stamford, CT, USA (F.D. Sheftell).

Abstract
Background.- In contrast to migraine and tension-type headache, the psychiatric comorbidities of cluster headache (CH) have not been well-studied. Objective.- We assessed the presence of depression and anxiety in groups of episodic CH (ECH) and chronic CH (CCH) patients and compared CH patients with and without depression and anxiety. Methods.- Sociodemographics, comorbidities, and selected headache features were ascertained from a clinic-based sample in a cross-sectional fashion from January 2007 to July 2010. Active depression and anxiety were assessed using the Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ-9) and the Generalized Anxiety Disorder 7-item (GAD-7) scales. Results.- Of 49 CH patients, ECH patients (n = 32) had an earlier age of onset and consumed less caffeine than CCH patients (n = 17). Rates of depression as defined by a PHQ-9 score =10 were low in both ECH (6.3%) and in CCH (11.8%) with similar mean PHQ-9 scores (3.1 vs 3.7, P = .69). Rates of anxiety as defined by a GAD-7 score =10 were also low in both ECH (15.6%) and CCH (11.8%) with similar mean GAD-7 scores (3.8 vs 3.4, P = .76).

ECH PATIENTS IN AND OUT OF ACTIVE ATTACK PERIODS HAD SIMILAR LEVELS OF DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY. DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY USUALLY OCCURRED TOGETHER IN ECH AND CCH PATIENTS. CH PATIENTS WHO WERE DEPRESSED OR ANXIOUS WERE MORE LIKELY TO PRESENT AT A YOUNGER AGE AND HAVE ATTACK-RELATED NAUSEA AND PRODROMAL SYMPTOMS. DEPRESSED CH PATIENTS WERE ALSO MORE LIKELY TO HAVE ANOTHER PAIN DISORDER AND HAD UNDERTAKEN TWICE AS MANY PROPHYLACTIC MEDICATION TRIALS. CONCLUSION.- IN THIS CLINIC-BASED CROSS-SECTIONAL STUDY, ECH AND CCH PATIENTS HAD SIMILARLY LOW RATES OF DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY. RATES WERE LOWER THAN THOSE REPORTED FOR BOTH EPISODIC AND CHRONIC MIGRAINE.

© 2011 American Headache Society.

PMID:22077836[PubMed]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Re: Depression & Anxiety in Cluster
Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2011 at 2:24pm

Interesting....

When I have battled both depression and anxiety it's been following particularly bad high cycles....

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #2 - Dec 22nd, 2011 at 7:31am

Interesting. I'm not sure what to make of this study, since my experience (and ours on this site) demonstrate a strong correlation to both depression and anxiety when the pain is highest and most prolonged. I am not familiar with the instruments listed, nor the population tested. But I do wonder if there aren't some other factors at play when comparing migraines to CHs. For example, the pain of a migraine may be compared to a steady grinding over long periods of time, while the pain of a CH may be more like a sharp an sudden strike which is of a briefer duration. I wonder if it isn't something like: when the episode ends, so does the pain, with interludes of relatively normal activity. Perhaps the anxiety and depression then are more related to the actual attack than to the individuals psyche? And does the repetition of pain vs. relief help build a personal resiliency not generally present in migraine sufferers? A resiliency not based on character but on the nature of the pain's onset and cessation? I just don't find the conclusions terribly satisfying. Blessings. lance

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Dec 22nd, 2011 at 9:25am

Part of the issue is the different definitions of "depression" between the general public and the  mental health types.

We don't accept that depression is a short term situational response, i.e., cluster attack leads to onset of depression then quickly resolving when the attack is over.

Makes sense to me that migraine would be more likely to induce clinical depression since it's often an endless state of one's life, i.e., any chronic disease is more likely to induce depression compared to short term experiences.
--------
Added: Should have made a clear distinction between clinical depression and a short-term mood which most people would regard as deperssion.

"Clinical depression" is defined as a mood which is not changed when a good/positive event occurs; where it's life is more than hours/few days; which exists independently of what we think the cause to be (i.e., contaminates most of one's life). The feeling tends to be more intense than a normal experience of "feeling bad".

This contrasts with a short term mood which responds to positive events, and which does not color the whole of one's life.
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2011 at 12:26pm by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #4 - Dec 22nd, 2011 at 12:01pm

I tend to lead a very structured life with planned out days/nights and the TORTURE of my DRAGON often prohibits me from keeping on schedule due to unpredictable interruptions.  No doubt I am depressed! 

These past 4 & 1/2 months in cycle i've lost countless fun opportunities with my 11 yr old son "watching from the sidelines" instead of actively participating.  I've also lost my girlfriend of 4 yrs, my job, patience, motivation and general optimistic upbeat attitude.  In fact i've went from being a sociable extrovert "life of the party" type guy to a lonely irritable introvert.

This has been the worst cycle I recall in 32 yrs of CH's.  Maybe a 6 yr remission is the reason for me feeling tremendous depression as I thought CH's had finally become a living nightmare of my past and on 8/6th I got a "rogue hit" that started it all again.

The DRAGON has drained me physically, emotionally, and financially.  However, thanks to a documented log of attacks, i've had a bit more control this past month as I am able to plan around my known "scheduled attack times" and this has provided me better control of my life, thus less depression.

Hopefully i'm nearing the end of my cycle and believe I am as my recently increased Verapamil dosage has finally provided a few good nights of sleep and better productivity during the mornings and days.  My head is still clenched tightly from the DRAGON's CLAWS, but am in much better control compared to what i've endured these past several months, thus less depression.

The ole saying "misery loves company" is proven true for me this cycle and believe in one creating a self-prophecy as to what direction one will lead their life.  "Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice."  I try my best to always think optimistically, however this cycle the "domino effect" and "Murphy's Law" went hand in hand triggered by my DRAGON.

On the last week of each year I sit down with pen/paper and scrutinize the past 52 weeks.  Critically evaluating myself of good times/bad times and make resolutions to better the upcoming New Year and future.  Next week will be no different except I must add to my New Year Resolutions list (1) positive strategies to get out of my depressed thinking mode, (2) better understanding of my CH's for present/future, (3) more quality time with my son, (4) secure a job and (5) eventually find another woman.  These 5 resolutions were not on last years list.  But because the DRAGON forced his way into my 2011, these 5 resolutions must be at the top of my 2012 resolutions list.

Wishing all here at Clusterville Season's Greetings with minimal/no depression, PFDAN, a Happy Chanukah, Merry Christmas and Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2012. Wink

-Gregg in Las Vegas
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2011 at 12:03pm by LasVegas »  

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!