Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dental work during cycle (Read 2153 times)
norkAch
CH.com Junior

Ohhh so many questions

Akron, Ohio
Dental work during cycle
Dec 16th, 2011 at 3:40pm

Greetings All,

I have a dental cleaning and exam scheduled for next week, as well as some finish work to be done on an implant done recently.

Right now I have some mental and psychological problems with anyone doing anything involving my head.

My questions is there any wisdom to my thinking or am I letting the fear control?

Again your comments and wisdom are always appreciated.

Hope all is well,

d

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Re: Dental work during cycle
Reply #1 - Dec 16th, 2011 at 4:31pm

Personally I would postpone the appointment until you are out of cycle or have your cycle under control, unless it is absolutely a dental emergency.

My father who was my best friend and a dentist by profession was my favorite person to be around, except when as a patient in his chair. Roll Eyes

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2011 at 9:15pm

Hello,

I would postpone it as well, unless the pain in your mouth became worse than a cluster ( i doubt it ).

There is some connection for me. Either it's the problem tooth or infection, or the needle, or the trauma of the procedure, But there is a link for me so it's a no go during or even close to a cycle.

Get a good lead...
Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

BobG
CH.com Hall of Famer

St. George, UT
Reply #3 - Dec 17th, 2011 at 7:22am

If the implant is troubling you, infected, broken, whatever, I'd keep the appointment. Take your chances. If it is not treated it will only get worse. Much worse. If, during the procedure, an attack starts I'd tell the dentist he had to stop for a while, bring me an ice pack, leave the room. I'll let him know when it's over. He works for me. I have something he wants. Money. If he doesn't like my terms then screw him. Dentists are a dime a dozen.
The cleaning can be put off for a couple of months.

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Dec 17th, 2011 at 11:56am

For this immediate appt, do what is comfortable for you.

However, for the long haul, you will be dealing with Cluster for many years. It would be helpful if you could begin to train your thinking/emotional responses so that Cluster doesn't become a major issue for the quality of your life.

Take a look at:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2011 at 12:16pm by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #5 - Dec 17th, 2011 at 12:06pm

Bob Johnson wrote on Dec 17th, 2011 at 11:56am:
For this immediate appt, do what is comfortable for you.

However, for the long haul, you will be dealing with Cluster for many years. It would be helpful if you could begin to train your thinking/emotional responses so that Cluster doesn't become a major issue for the quality of your life.

Take a look at:

Agreed, but "easier said than done."
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2011 at 12:07pm by LasVegas »  

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

norkAch
CH.com Junior

Ohhh so many questions

Akron, Ohio
Reply #6 - Dec 17th, 2011 at 12:14pm

Greetings All,

Thank You all for your replies.

Not noted in my original post is the fact that this is my first ever cycle of cluster headaches.

During what I now know was the beginning of my cycle I had a tooth extracted and the implant done.

Right now I am having no dental crisis, I just have the regular stuff scheduled.

I for now am probably going to put off the cleaning.

I have my final followup with the oral surgeon this week and will find out if and how long I can put off the finish work on the implant.

"Dentists are a dime a dozen" - There are people who 'practice' dentistry and they are a dime a dozen. My dentist over the last several years has become a priceless member of my health team, who I know would listen to my concerns and accomodate in any way possible including kicking me out of the chair and telling me to go home if I was uneasy or uncomfortable for any reason. Believe it or not this is the first time I have had any reluctance in seeing him or having work done and it is by no means any fault of his or his team.

If I could only find a primary care physician with the same passion for his work and compassion for his patients as my dentist AND his entire team display.

As I have read in other posts about the dental nightmares people have been through while attempting to treat this beast, I am looking forward to talking with my dentist and educating him about Cluster Headaches in hopes that he can spare others.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for all the replies.

Blessings to us all,

d

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #7 - Dec 17th, 2011 at 12:20pm

Glad our replies helped your decision.  And I agree with you that dentists are not a dime a dozen, just like not all neurologists are aware of proper treatment of CH's.

"Quality over quantity"

IP Logged

norkAch
CH.com Junior

Ohhh so many questions

Akron, Ohio
Reply #8 - Dec 17th, 2011 at 12:23pm

Bob Johnson,

My mental, emotional and pschological stability is just a high a priority as the management of the pain. This has included being educated and having realistic expectations.

It appears you tried to provide a link to something but somehow I don't see it and would love to.

You interest and reply is appreciated,

d

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #9 - Dec 17th, 2011 at 2:04pm

Let's try again!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Giovanni
CH.com Hall of Famer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x1|Cary|USA|usa|472|185|NC,North_Carolina
Reply #10 - Dec 18th, 2011 at 1:55pm

Several months ago I had 4 implants and two extractions to my lower jaw--3+hours.  During the procedure I felt the ut oh feeling and motioned the perio guy to stop.  I reached for and administered my zomig.  The zomig actually ramped up the pain quickly.  The dentist continued to work. I had tears rolling like a stream from my left eye.  The BP monitor went crazy and was beeping rapidly.   Terrible experience.  After 30 minutes the headache abated. When he finished I had a little talk about these headaches--about leaving the room when they happen  I now take portable oygen with me.

John  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #11 - Dec 18th, 2011 at 3:42pm

For me, Nitrous Oxide has worked as a very effective abortive...Last time I had dental work done they gave me 2 hours on the nitrous mask and it wiped away all traces of the cluster that I had been experiencing (and seemed to be ramping up by the minute).  Don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but I ended up with 3 full pain free days after that, which is rare for me....

IP Logged

Matt Miller
CH.com Junior

This too shall pass...

NW Arkansas
Reply #12 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 10:53am

Quote:
Nitrous Oxide has worked as a very effective abortive

I would just like to second this. If you dentist is willing to give you Nitrous Oxide during your treatment, it has ALWAYS worked for me to keep me from CHing during treatment. I have a lot of dental problems from tooth grinding, and have to get root canals and crowns, and if i am fearing a CH i always request the Nitrous.

I have tried NO2 on my own for Cluster attacks, and it does not work in private as an abortive, but i assume it is due to the fact that i can't keep inhaling it for 1-2 hours. It 100% takes away the CH, but since NO2 rapidly leaves your body my CH comes back in about 30-45 seconds. While at the dentist office, you are inhaling the NO2 for the entire time, so there isn't time for it to come back during the appointment.

I would advise keeping the appointment, as i've found Dental Pain to be a trigger for me (or maybe the other way around??)

Good luck and let us know your results. If it works for others as it has for Ricardo and myself, this may be a way for CHers to have the dental visits and not have to worry about bashing the Dentists head in with a Kip9 in the middle of the appointment!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!