Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 37
Send Topic Print
Anti-Inflammatory Vitamin D3 Regimen and Survey (Read 255538 times)
anubis44
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Ottawa, Canada
Re: Anti-Inflammatory Vitamin D3 Regimen and Survey
Reply #475 - Feb 5th, 2016 at 12:49pm

Just another quick supplemental information update to the D3/Vimovo/melatonin variation I've been taking, and which has been working for me, a hitherto chronic CH'er, for over 3 months.

What causes the inflammation that triggers CHs?

My thought is that CHs are caused by inflammation in the tissues surrounding the trigeminal nerve. The inflammed tissue expands and much like a boa constrictor crushing its prey, the tissue crushes the trigeminal, causing a CH. The chemical that inflames the tissue is prostaglandin. How is prostaglandin produced? To keep this simple, for the purposes of CH, the relevant culprit for prostaglandin synthesis is COX-2.

Now, looking more carefully at both Vitamin D3 and what it does and the naproxen in Vimovo and what it does, here's my basic summary to make it easier for everybody to perhaps understand why these two seem to have been so effective for me when taken together to halt CHs:

-Vitamin D3: basically inhibits COX-2's production of prostaglandins
-Naproxen: basically inhibits the production of COX-2 in the first place

Thanks to Batch sending me an article about Vitamin D3's ability to inhibit prostaglandin pathways, I've been able to get a better overview of what's going on. My theory is that in CH sufferers, like many other inflammatory disease sufferers, the body is periodically overproducing COX-2, possibly in some kind of synch to the body's circadian rhythms. High doses of Vitamin D3 help mitigate the effectiveness of COX-2 in catylising arachidonic acid into prostaglandin, which is very helpful, but if you have a huge amount of excess COX-2 released into your blood, this is only going to have a somewhat limited effectiveness. My idea was to add a 'right hook' to Vitamin D3's 'left hook', and to simultaneously reduce the body's ability to produce COX-2 in the first place. So there's less COX-2 to catalyse arachidonic acid, as well as a reducing the remaining COX-2's ability to synthesize arachidonic acid into prostaglandin. My goal now is to find the minimum effective dosage of Vimovo. Bearing in mind that I was and still am taking at least 10,000iu of D3 everyday, regardless of my Vimovo dosage, I have gone from taking the maximum 2x500/20mg daily for 2 weeks in order to stop the CHs, to 1x500/20mg daily maintenance once they stopped, to taking less than 1 per day now. I can now reliably go for 3-5 days without taking any Vimovo before sensing any shadows, and so far, resuming a single Vimovo dosage has kept me from getting any CHs. I now get a warning shadow long before I ever get a CH! I have not yet tried to see how long I can stay off the Vimovo before I get an actual CH, as I'm sure all of you will understand, I am not eager to get one. However, when I am satisfied that I have been pain-free for long enough that this treatment is incontrovertibly effective, I may try to see how long it would be without Vimovo before my COX-2 levels increased naturally back up to the levels where I once again get a CH.

Just an interesting side note: Massages gave me even worse CHs?

Not only am I a chronic CHer who has been completely CH-free for over 3 months now on a D3/Vimovo/melatonin regime, but there are other factors which seem to make the reduced COX-2/reduced COX-2>prostaglandin anti-inflammatory theory 'add-up'. For one thing, I used to get particularly bad CHs immediately following after a deep-tissue massage. I now know why. Arachidonic acid, the 'fuel' for COX-2 to produce prostaglandin, exists in the largest concentrations in your skeletal muscle tissue! So, whenever I had a deep-tissue massage or did strenuous exercise, it was releasing larger quantities of arachidonic acid into my bloodstream, providing my already elevated levels of COX-2 with more 'fuel' with which to produce prostaglandin, and thereby, inflame the tissues surrounding my trigeminal nerve! It all makes sense now!

Also, I started getting osteo-arthitic pain in my right hand around the time I went from being episodic to chronic back in August of 2014. This lends credence to the theory that excess COX-2 was at least partially responsible for both the arthritis and the chronic CHs. Also, the fact that the D3/Vimovo routine has not only halted my CHs, but also largely mitigated the arthritic sensations in my right hand is only further evidence that maintaining low COX-2 levels is an effective treatment for both conditions. At Batch's suggestion, I have also started taking Vitamin K2 (K7) on a regular basis--something I only just started doing 2 days ago--and it already seems to be helping to further eliminate the arthritic sensation in my hand that I was waking up to, in the last two mornings.

That's all for this update!

Please do not hesitate to ask me any questions!
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2016 at 1:48pm by anubis44 »  

IP Logged

Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

x0|New York|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #476 - Feb 9th, 2016 at 1:43pm

Day 4 of the regimen for me. After coming off my meds a few weeks ago (bad idea) and going right back to chronic, I started back on 240mg of Verap and nightly Migranal spray in each nostril when the beast attacks like clockwork around 20:00.  So far with that regimen I'm down to 1 headache a day. 

I hope to be able to not get the nightly headache now that I've started D3, but not sure how long it will take (or if it will) work.  When should I get the first blood test?

More to come as things develop.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #477 - Feb 9th, 2016 at 4:01pm

Hey Joshua,

Thanks for the update.  It appears you're already starting to respond to this regimen.

Are you doing the vitamin D3 loading schedule?  That will speed up the increase in your 25(OH)D serum concentration to 80 ng/mL and that should help you get CH pain free as fast as possible.

Try to see your PCP for serum 25(OH)D, calcium and PTH lab tests and discuss the anti-inflammatory regimen.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

blacklab
Ex Member

Reply #478 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 5:14am

Annubus,
             I enjoy reading your up dates and especially the detailed depth in the way your reporting it.
You obviously have researched or have some type of maybe medical background ?  but at least I can follow the journey you've taken and so far, even with my limited I.Q I am understanding the logic you present in your updates.
look forward to your next up date,  good luck with it.
colin

IP Logged

cmorrish
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #479 - Feb 19th, 2016 at 11:47am

My experience with A-I D3 regimen:

from ages 22-32 I could count on 2 cycles per year like clockwork.  usually mid November, and sometime in June, with the summer one lasting 30 days and the fall one lasting through January sometime.

I started taking 10000 iu D3 along with the rest of the regimen in the summer of '14 and have not had a cluster headache since.  If i feel the hint of a shadow, and i mean a hint which simply might be the wind blowing on my forehead, I will up the D3 to 20K iu for a few days.  By my count I have skipped 4 cycles now.

cheers,

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #480 - Feb 19th, 2016 at 1:32pm

Cmorrish,

Always great to hear of a Clusterhead without pain. Long may it last.

Mind yourself,

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

jk247g
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #481 - Apr 4th, 2016 at 8:32pm

Is it best to take the entire regimen at the same time with the same meal. Or if there's 2 pills per serving like the Kirkland's vitamin, to do one with lunch and one with dinner?

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #482 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 4:01am

Hey JK,

Good question...  After more than five years taking this regimen, I've found it's best to take everything with the largest meal of the day, preferably right after eating.

This does two things.  Vitamin D3 absorption goes up when it's taken with food, particularly food relatively high in fats.

Taking the magnesium and Omega-3 fish oil with a meal helps prevent GI tract problems and osmotic diarrhea.

Hope this helps.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

jk247g
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #483 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 8:45pm

Batch,
I have Vitamin K2 from maxx labs with natural mk-7 and mk-4. Will it work or is it missing anything? I saw it said the mk-7 was from Natto and yours from Menaquinone. I tried to post the link but i'm too much of a newbie for it to let me.  It's on amazon.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #484 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 5:18pm

Hey JK,

You've got the right vitamin K2... MK4 and MK7 are the two vitamin K2 menaquinones we need. 

The Life Extension Foundation has an excellent section on vitamin K2 complex at the following link:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

jk247g
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #485 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 5:49pm

Thanks Batch! The regimen is working. I'm an episodic. When I posted last, I had a day of relief with only one KIP 2 after doing my latent loading dose and now I've had 5 days with just a few kpi 1's. Prior I was having at least two a day of KPI 9 and 10's and in the past, it  usually turned into 3 a day before going back to 2 a day and then to 1 a day.  I was never able to get out to do the test but I was on the full regimen for about a week before it started to work.  When I had the KPI 1, I broke a vitamin d under my tongue and it seemed to take out the headache in about 10 minutes.  So if I keep having luck, this cycle will have only lasted 2 weeks when it usually lasts 5-6 weeks before going into remission.  Do I wait to take the survey until i'm pretty sure my cycle is over?

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #486 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 3:05pm

Hey JK,

Thanks for the update.  Glad to hear you've got the CH beast on the run...  Keep it up and everything gets even better.

Regarding the survey, wait until you've been taking the maintenance dose of 10,000 IU/day for at least a month to let your 25(OH)D reach a stable equilibrium and then if possible, see your PCP for the 25(OH)D lab test.  Once you have the lab results back, take the survey.  If the lab test for 25(OH)D isn't doable... a month on the maintenance dose then take the survey will be just fine.

So far, the survey results have shown a clear correlation between a sustained CH pain free response and a serum 25(OH)D concentration around 80 ng/mL.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #487 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 3:06pm

Hey JK,

Thanks for the update.  Glad to hear you've got the CH beast on the run...  Keep it up and everything gets even better.

Regarding the survey, wait until you've been taking the maintenance dose of 10,000 IU/day for at least a month to let your 25(OH)D reach a stable equilibrium and then if possible, see your PCP for the 25(OH)D lab test.  Once you have the lab results back, take the survey.  If the lab test for 25(OH)D isn't doable... a month on the maintenance dose then take the survey will be just fine.

So far, the survey results have shown a clear correlation between a sustained CH pain free response and a serum 25(OH)D concentration around 80 ng/mL.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

mfocht
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #488 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 11:03pm

Batch,
What are the symptoms if we get an infection during the D3 regiment?

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #489 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 10:36am

Mfocht,

Interesting question.  From my experience, I've found the anti-inflammatory regimen with 10,000 iU/day vitamin D3 plus the co-factors turbocharges my immune system...

Just as vitamin D3 triggers genetic expression in neurons in the brain and trigeminal ganglia that helps us prevent CH, vitamin D is also expressed on vitamin D receptors in immune cells (B cells, T cells and antigen presenting cells). 

As these immunologic cells are all are capable of synthesizing the active vitamin D3 metabolite, 1,25(OH)2D3, vitamin D3 has the capability of acting in an autocrine manner to support an improved immunologic response.  In simple terms, vitamin D3 can modulate (improve) the innate and adaptive immune responses.

What all this means is viral infections like colds and flu are significantly reduced after you've been on the anti-inflammatory regimen for a month or two and you've elevated your serum 25(OH)D up around 80 ng/mL.

That doesn't mean you won't catch a cold.  The adenovirus that causes the common cold mutate a lot so the adaptive immune cells may not recognize a new mutated version and react accordingly.   However as the innate immune cells also get jazzed up on vitamin D3, they act like caped crusaders and jump ugly on the adenovirus as fast as possible.

That means the common cold which would ordinarily last a week or more before you started vitamin D3, now last only a day or two...  There are several studies out indicating better than a 40% drop in influenza infections when serum 25(OH)D is >40 ng/mL.

What we've also learned over the last five years is an immune system response to an infection consumes more vitamin D3 and its first metabolite 25(OH)D.  As this can lead to a return of the CH beast, we've found its best to double the normal vitamin D3 maintenance dose while the infection symptoms are present... 

Taking a 1000 mg vitamin C tablet three to four times a day can also help shorten the infection duration.

An immune system turbocharged with vitamin D3 handles bacterial and fungal infections in much the same way.  Ultimately, it's a numbers game...  If the source of the infection is massive, it takes the immune system longer to control the infection.

In some cases with bacterial or fungal infections, an antibiotic or antifungal medicine is indicated... Your PCP should recognize the symptoms and treat accordingly.

If you do end up taking an antibiotic or antifungal medicine, they tend to be indiscriminate so wipe out friendly colonies of biota in the GI tract called the microbiome.  If this is the case, taking a probiotic is also a good idea. 

We've run the information trap line on taking antibiotics and probiotics...  The consensus is the probiotic can be taken with the anitbiotic as long as the doses of each are separated by 12 hours.

I hope all this answered your question...

Take care,

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Mojocassie
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #490 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 11:24am

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask but in the past few years my mums headaches have turned chronic and I found information about the vitamin d regimen and started her on it. Recently her vitamin d test came in at 84ng but she is still having terrible headaches. Today has been the worst in a while. Last week before her test results came back I upped her vitamin d to 20,000 and the next day her test said it was high enough so I lowered it to 10,000 again but the day after she had a pain free day. I don't know if it was a coincidence or not.

Should I up her vitamin d to 20,000 for a bit longer?

I have seen a first generation antihistamine recommended but I don't know if she can take it with her topirimate. The only kind we can get in the uk is chlorphenamine.
Would you recommend she try that?

Thanks

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #491 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 4:06pm

Hey Cassie,

Welcome to CH.com.  We know what your mother and you are going through and the good news is it doesn't need to be that way.  Your mother is lucky to have a proactive supporter like you.

For starters, 20,000 IU/day is a very safe dose of vitamin D3 and it may be all your mother needs to reach the tipping point towards a CH pain free response.  Accordingly, its unlikely the pain free day after taking 20,000 IU of vitamin D3 was a coincident.

There are several clinical trials indicating vitamin D3 doses up to 40,000 IU/day and 25(OH)D serum concentrations up to 164 ng/mL are beneficial for the condition being treated with no evidence of hypercalcemia or hypercalciuria... 

Hypercalcemia (a serum calcium concentration above its normal reference range) is the only real indication of vitamin D3 intoxication, a.k.a. "vitamin D3 toxicity" not a serum concentration > 100 ng/mL (250 nmol/L). 

That said, your mother needs to keep her PCP in the loop with labs for her 25(OH)D, total calcium and PTH (Parathyroid Hormone).  As long as her total calcium stays within its normal reference range, your mother should be good to go at 20,000 IU/day vitamin D3... or higher.  PTH labs should come back at the low end of its normal reference range.

As a side note, I've run my serum 25(OH)D concentration over 164 ng/mL and my total calcium stayed well within its normal reference range.  I kept my PCP in the loop during all this and all he did was smile when the lab results came back... all in the green.

Regarding the first-generation antihistamine, chlorphenamine (chlorpheniramine maleate oral) should work just fine blocking H1 histamine receptors. 

However, chlorpheniramine maleate oral and topiramate oral both increase sedation so your mother's PCP should be consulted prior to starting the chlorphenamine.  No driving while taking either of them.

As the topiramate (Topamax) appears to be ineffective in preventing your mother's CH, I suggest you or your mother discuss with her PCP a plan to stop taking the topiramate while taking the chlorphenamine.

If a week to 10 days of chlorphenamine has no effect on the frequency of your mother's CH... it's unlikely that an allergic reaction and flood of histamine is triggering her CH.

You can find suggested dosing instructions for an adult allergic reaction at the following link.  Again be sure to discus all this with your mother's PCP.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

Hope this helps.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #492 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 7:13am

Batch,

New blood tests hot off the presses:
D3 147 ng/mL
PTH 12.7 pg/mL
Calcium 10.6 mg/dL

I've been largely pain free since about 3 weeks ago when I started taking 35-50,000 IU daily to get the levels up. I'm beginning a taper down now to see if I can hold at the suggested maintenance dose going forward.

I've also halved my previous dose of Verapamil from 480 to 240 many weeks ago when I started, no ill effects it seems.

I'm very happy!  And very grateful to this group.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #493 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 1:42pm

Hey Joshua,

Thanks for the update and lab results.  The lab results are very interesting.  I'm guessing the lab printout flagged the serum calcium concentration as "High" and your PCP advised you to lower your vitamin D3 intake.

That said, your CH pain free response to doses of vitamin D3 > 10,000 IU/day is proving what I've suspected for the last few years... and that is many of the 18% to 19% of CHers who do not respond to the anti-inflammatory regimen at 10,000 IU/day and serum 25(OH)D around 80 ng/mL need higher doses of vitamin D3 with resulting 25(OH)D serum concentrations higher than 100 ng/mL in order to experience a CH pain free response.

Several CHers, myself included, have run serum 25(OH)D up to a range between 140 to 165 ng/mL, (350 to 410 nmol/L) under a physician's supervision.  In all but one case, the serum total calcium stayed within the normal reference range of 8.5 to 10.5 mg/dL.  One lab for calcium came back at 10.6 mg/dL, but dropped within the normal reference rang on a subsequent lab test a month later after lowering the vitamin D3 dose.

Your total serum calcium at 10.6 mg/dL has "bumped" the upper limit for total serum calcium.  In NASCAR speak, your motor is running a little hot.  What this really means is the vitamin D3 doses you were taking have pushed your calcium homeostasis to the limit of its capacity to maintain a serum calcium concentration between 8.5 to 10.5 mg/dL.

As you have already lowered your vitamin D3 intake, you've taken appropriate corrective action.

It's important that CHers taking the anti-inflammatory regimen to prevent their CH understand calcium homeostasis, what it is, what controls it and the role played by vitamin D3.

In simple terms, calcium homeostasis is a biological control mechanism that maintains serum calcium concentration in a very narrow range.  It's a lot like the thermostat in your car that maintains engine temperature in an optimum range by controlling the amount of radiator fluid passing through the radiator.

Vitamin D3 from supplements or generated in the skin as cutaneous vitamin D3 enters the bloodstream and passes through the liver where it is hydroxylated (metabolized) to 25-Hydroxy Vitamin D3, a.k.a. 25(OH)D. 

This name comes from the chemical naming convention meaning a hydroxyl radical [OH] was added to the 25th position on the vitamin D3 molecule.

Here is where things get interesting...  Chemical sensors in the brain, parathyroids and elsewhere in the body are constantly monitoring serum calcium concentrations.  Under normal conditions, when serum calcium approaches the lower limits of its normal reference range, the parathyroid glands sense this condition and they start releasing more parathyroid hormone (PTH).

This additional PTH signals the kidneys to hydroxylate more 25(OH)D to 1,25(OH)2D3, (calcitriol), the active hormonal form of vitamin D3.  If you follow the naming convention, the kidneys have added a 2nd hydroxyl radical to the 1st position on the vitamin D3 molecule.

Serum 1,25(OH)2D3, the active hormonal form of vitamin D3 now travels through the bloodstream to the gut where it pulls more calcium into the blood stream to maintain serum calcium within its normal reference range.  If there is insufficient calcium in the gut, 1,25(OH)2D3 pulls the needed calcium from bones.

Under normal conditions, if serum calcium approaches the upper limit of it's normal reference range, calcium sensors detect the rising serum calcium concentration and signal the parathyroid glands to stop or slow the production of PTH.  This slows the extraction of calcium from the gut and bones and this allows serum calcium concentrations to drop.

Your PTH labs at 12 pg/mL are at the low end of the normal reference range 10 to 65 pg/mL.  This is consistent with your higher serum calcium concentration.

Sooo... what does this lesson in biochemistry tell us?

You'll note the above explanation of calcium homeostasis was under "normal" conditions where we take a physiological dose of vitamin D3 around 10,000 IU/day.  By physiological dose, we're talking the amount of cutaneous vitamin D3 normally produced by the skin if we were running around outside exposed to the UV B in direct sunlight like paleo man clad in skins of an animal we ate.

By taking doses of vitamin D3 greater than what would normally be generated by paleo man... we're taking what is called a supraphysiological or pharmacological dose of vitamin D3 to achieve a therapeutic response, i.e., a cessation of CH symptoms. 

What I'm saying here is the CHers who don't respond to the anti-inflammatory regimen with a physiological dose of vitamin D3 at 10,000 IU/day may need to take higher, pharmacological doses of vitamin D3 in order to prevent their CH. 

So what happens when they find a pharmacological dose of vitamin D3 that prevents CH... but it results in too much serum calcium... like above the normal reference range for total calcium at 10.5 mg/dL? 

This almost sounds like being between a rock and a hard place... but there is a solution.

The solution in this case is stop taking calcium supplements and eliminate as much dietary calcium as possible.  That means no milk, cheese, ice cream or any other food type high in calcium.

To be clear, most of the above is for discussion purposes only... 

If you are among the 18% to 19% who do not respond to the anti-inflammatory regimen at a vitamin D3 dose of 10,000 IU/day, and you want to take higher doses of vitamin D3, do not do this by yourself. 

You need to work with your PCP or neurologist if you want to take sustained doses of vitamin D3 greater than 10,000 IU/day to prevent your CH.  You and your doctor will also need to monitor lab test results for your serum concentrations of 25(OH)D, calcium and PTH.

If serum calcium gets too high, lower the vitamin D3 dose.  If you can't lower the vitamin D3 dose because your CH return if you do, then you need to stop taking calcium supplements and eliminate dietary calcium the the maximum extent possible.

Again, all this needs to be done under a physician's supervision.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #494 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 1:54pm

Wow!  Great info! I actually am not taking a calcium supplement.  But I do drink milk and eat cheese. I'm taking all the other co-factors, Mg, Fish Oil, Super-K and Multi-Vitamin.

I'll continue to drop down to 20k for a while, and then get another test at 6 weeks.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #495 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 7:30pm

Joshua,

Sounds like a great plan.  As long as you've cut back on the vitamin D3, milk and cheese shouldn't be a problem.

Please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #496 - May 23rd, 2016 at 10:29pm

For CHers who have been on the anti-inflammatory regimen for at least a month, if you haven't already done so, please take the survey listed on page 1 of this thread.  Be sure to see your PCP for a 25(OH)D lab test if possible...  The 25(OH)D lab results are a very important part of the survey data.

In addition... there are nearly 100 CHers who started this survey, but never completed it.  If you fall into this category, please go back into your survey, the link is on page one of this thread, answer as many questions as possible then click the submit button.

Many thanks,

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #497 - Jun 25th, 2016 at 10:08pm

Quick question about the magnesium dose in this regiment.  I know 400-600 mg is recommended. 

I'm currently using 500 mg Magnesium Citrate but on the back label it says that the actual amount of magnesium in a serving is 200 mg.

So should I be taking 2 caplets or would the 1 suffice?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #498 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 12:15am

Hey Slacker,

Good question...  The RDA for magnesium is based on the elemental content of 400 mg/day for men.  Given magnesium has a propensity to trigger osmotic diarrhea if too much is taken at one time, splitting the dose with one capsule in the AM with breakfast and the second in the evening with dinner should keep things from becoming too fluid.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #499 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 12:40am

Gotcha...thanks Batch.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 37
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!