Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Got diagnosed today... (Read 1088 times)
chTrotter81
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Got diagnosed today...
Dec 15th, 2011 at 12:32am

For 5 years now I have been thinking I had to be the only person in the world with these weird migraines. They come about 2 months a year (November and December) , excruciating pain behind my eyes (usually my left) and come and go usually once in the morning. I just flat out dealt with the pain for 5 years. That is until this year came. They got way worse and happened more frequent and even in the middle of the night. I told my wife, "I don't know what these are, but they make me think very bad things when they come." I wanted to drive my car off a bridge, headbutt a pole, or stab my eye with a knife. She thought I was crazy. She thought it was from stress from watching sports too much, other people claimed bad eyes (I have 20/13 vision) and some said get checked for a tumor. Well I couldn't take the pain anymore and was tired of these horrible thoughts. I went to the eye doctor first and of course they said, sorry, your eyes are better than perfect in all ways we can see. So then I went to the doctor. I described everything, and he said it sounds like you have "cluster headaches," and I was like, "doc, don't use headache and what I feel in the same sentence." But he gave me 2 types of meds, and I've been researching ch ever since, and everything makes so much sense now, and it feels kind of good to know I'm not some alien. What was funny, was when I saw on the internet that they are also called "suicide headaches" which summed it up pretty well for me. I'm glad I found this site, and I look forward to trying some of the things I have read on here. Look forward to talking more!

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Re: Got diagnosed today...
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2011 at 12:55am

Welcome to a place where we understand your living nightmare!

Plenty to read, ask and learn.

You are not alone.

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

chTrotter81
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2011 at 1:13am

What meds are the most recommended? Should I get a pack of red bull? How much is O2? Does anyone else scream super loud when they're alone with one? Is it not smart to drive with one? Should I tell my bosses, scared they would be quick to let me go?

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #3 - Dec 15th, 2011 at 1:15am

Hi and welcome

Have you had a diagnosis from your GP? If so I'd strongly suggest that you see a neurologist who specializes in headaches. Most doctors, including your generic neurologist are far from experienced with treating complex headaches like cluster headaches.

What did your doctor give you to treat the CHs?

We've a huge amount of experience here with everything to do with CHs so we can answer questions and help guide you to good treatment.

So start reading like mad, ask some questions and read some more.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #4 - Dec 15th, 2011 at 1:19am

Read the yellow tabs on the left side of your screen, all of them. 

Then under each heading, read the top posts, all of them. 

Then use the search box and google what you seek answers to. 

From there, you should know plenty and for what you still need answers to...ask away.

PS...Definitely not smart to drive while being attacked. Wink

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

chTrotter81
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Dec 15th, 2011 at 2:19am

He put me on nifedipine and frova.

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #6 - Dec 15th, 2011 at 8:52am

Yep, you need a good neuro..

Red Bull at the "first" sign sometimes will avert a hit. O2 is cheap (most places you'll need a scrip for it). Using the "right" mask is IMPORTANT. A NON-rebreather mask is a MUST - look to the left - at the CH.com store there are masks available that are good.

Imitrex is the drug of choice for most here for full blown attacks. I personally prefer Ergotomine (takes a little longer to work in the pill form, but lasts longer and is cheaper).

Melatonin at night (takes a little while to get in your system) works for "some" of us to prevent the night hits. I take 10mg at night, but have gone as high as 20 when I'm getting hit really hard. My neuro recommends it.

But the one thing you MUST do is LEARN as much as you can about CH and then ASK questions when you go to the doc. You have to be your own ADVOCATE with these things. Learn what you NEED and let the doc know about it. He/she will not have as much knowledge about these things as you MUST have (trust us all on this one). AND if the doc won't listen to you FIRE him/her immediately and find another one. Some of us have fired so many docs we've lost track, but then we run across one that is wonderful.

You didn't say where you're from. We have a doc referral here, so if you will let us know where you live, someone can probably recommend a neuro who knows what they're doing.

Oh and there's a supporter board here also for your wife to make sure she knows you're not "crazy" Smiley.

But nothing you can say will shock anyone here - we've been there - done that - got the t-shirt. We do UNDERSTAND what you're going thru.

We all react differently to everything around here. What triggers one - doesn't trigger another - the meds that work on one might not work on another. It's a crap shoot any way you look at it... We use trial and error till we find what works for "us".

Welcome to Clusterville - pull up a chair and read read read... ask questions - you're family now..  Kiss

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #7 - Dec 15th, 2011 at 10:59am

Besides what everyone here has already said...if you are only getting CH for 2 months, once a year, I would hesitate telling my boss anything.  Once you can find a good doctor, get on a preventative and a fast abortive, you shouldn't have much problem at work.  Some of us have very understanding bosses.  MOST don't.

oh, and yeah..having the word "Headache" connected to this condition of ours is very frustrating.

Please SDO have your wife come here and sign in on the supporter board.  She needs to understand what this is and that it's NOT from stress from watching football.

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

chTrotter81
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Dec 15th, 2011 at 2:39pm

so does anyone have any experience with nifedipine and frova? should i get something else?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!