Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is Verapamil a mimic of Magnesium? (Read 10853 times)
nhs
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Is Verapamil a mimic of Magnesium?
Dec 13th, 2011 at 4:44pm

RB Singh 1987

Medical Hospital and Research Center, Moradabad-10, India

Mg and verapamil have similar effects on the cardiovascular system. Both the agents have been successfully used for the treatment of hypertension and protection of the ischaemic myocardium. The exact mechanism of action of calcium blocking drugs including verapamil is unknow. It is proposed that verapamil stimulates the Mg-carrying transport system and Mg diffusion in the cell so that Mg influx is enhanced. This in turn causes suppression of the slow inward Ca current and fast inward Na current resulting into decreased transport of Ca and Na. Verapamil possibly also influences outward K and Mg currents and alter the shape and duration of the action potential. Since Mg ions maintain the structural and functional integrity of the cardiovascular system, therefore Mg mediated mechanisms of action for verapamil appears to be more logical.

If this is true, which it probably is, the pharmaceutical industry have made a synthetic drug (Verapamil / Veraloc) which has exactly the same properties as the natural magnesium. Verapamil is simply developed on background of Magnesium mechanisms of action. A lot of people don’t get enough magnesium and have problems with high blood pressure due to the deficiency. The medical industries are really smart. 

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Is Verapamil a mimic of Magnesium?
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2011 at 8:52am

Headache. 2009 Jan;49(1):117-25.Related Articles, Links
Verapamil for cluster headache. Clinical pharmacology and possible mode of action.

Tfelt-Hansen P, Tfelt-Hansen J.

Danish Headache Centre, Department of Neurology, University of Copenhagen, Glostrup Hospital, Glostrup, Denmark.

Verapamil is used mainly in cardiovascular diseases. High-dose verapamil (360-720 mg) is, however, currently the mainstay in the prophylactic treatment of cluster headache. The oral pharmacokinetics are variable. The pharmacodynamic effect of verapamil, the effect on blood pressure, also varies considerably among subjects. The dose of verapamil used for cluster headache is approximately double the dose used in cardiovascular disease, most likely because verapamil is a substrate for the efflux transporter P-glycoprotein in the blood-brain barrier. The access of verapamil to the central nervous system is therefore limited. The clinical use of verapamil in cluster headache is reviewed and several relevant drug interactions are mentioned. Finally, its possible mode of action in cluster headache is discussed. The effect of verapamil in cluster headache most likely takes place in the hypothalamus.Verapamil is an L-type calcium channel blocker but it is also a blocker of other calcium channels (T-, P-, and possibly N- and Q-type Ca(2+) channels) and the human ether-a-go-go-related gene potassium channel. With so many different actions of verapamil, it is impossible at the present time to single out a certain mode of action of the drug in cluster headache.

Publication Types:
Review

PMID: 19125880
============
This doesn't speak directely to your question but it's the only thing I have on the issue.

The date of your report should make the information suspect and, therefore, the conclusion. Changes occur so rapidly in many areas of medicine that speculation of this age may be only of historical interest. ?????

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

nhs
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2011 at 12:03pm

Abstract:
There are several findings on the action of magnesium ions supporting their possible therapeutic potential in affective disorders.
Examinations of the sleep-electroencephalogram (EEG) and of endocrine systems point to the involvement of the limbic-hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenocortical axis as magnesium affects all elements of this system.
Magnesium has the property to suppress hippocampal kindling, to reduce the release of adrenocorticotrophic hormone (ACTH) and to affect adrenocortical sensitivity to ACTH. The role of magnesium in the central nervous system could be mediated via the N-methyl-d-aspartate-antagonistic, γ-aminobutyric acidA-agonistic or a angiotensin II-antagonistic property of this ion.
A direct impact of magnesium on the function of the transport protein p-glycoprotein at the level of the blood-brain barrier has also been demonstrated, possibly influencing the access of corticosteroids to the brain.
Furthermore, magnesium dampens the calciumion-proteinkinase C related neurotransmission and stimulates the Na-K-ATPase. All these systems have been reported to be involved in the pathophysiology of depression. Despite the antagonism of lithium to magnesium in some cell-based experimental systems, similarities exist on the functional level, i.e. with respect to kindling, sleep-EEG and endocrine effects.
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2011 at 12:09pm by nhs »  

IP Logged

nhs
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2011 at 4:07pm

Verapamil

Verapamil is, however, a substrate for the efflux transporter P-glycoprotein (P-gp) in the blood–brain barrier.

Cluster headache is associated with abnormal diurnal rhythms of hormones such as cortisol, testosterone, growth hormone, and endorphins.

Verapamil blocked P- and at higher concentrations possibly N- and Q-type Ca2+ channels. The human T-type calcium channel is also blocked by verapamil.

HERG potassium channel blocker.  It is possible that verapamil also acts on HERG potassium channels in the CNS.

In conclusion, the possible modes of action of verapamil in cluster headache are legion but most likely due to an effect on either the low (T-type) or the high voltage-activated Ca2+ channels (L-, N-, P, Q-type). Although generally described as an L-type calcium blocker, verapamil has possible effects on a range of other Ca2+ channels present at the most likely pathogenic center, the hypothalamus. At this point, we are thus not able to point to a specific action underlying the efficacy of verapamil in cluster headache.

Magnesium

A direct impact of magnesium on the function of the efflux transport protein P-glycoprotein at the level of the blood-brain barrier has also been demonstrated:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Magnesium blocks L-type calcium channel and N-type channel:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Magnesium blocks L and T-type Ca2+ channels:

Mg2+ exerts a direct action on HERG potassium channels:

Magnesium is a critical element in 325+ biochemical reactions in the human body.
Recent research, in France and several other European countries, gives a clue concerning the role of magnesium plays in the transmission of hormones (such as insulin, thyroid, estrogen, testosterone, DHEA, etc.), neurotransmitters (such as dopamine, catecholamines, serotonin, GABA, etc.), and minerals and mineral electrolytes. 
This research concludes that it is magnesium status that controls cell membrane potential and through this means controls uptake and release of many hormones, nutrients and neurotransmitters. It is magnesium that controls the fate of potassium and calcium in the body. If magnesium is insufficient potassium and calcium will be lost in the urine and calcium will be deposited in the soft tissues (kidneys, arteries, joints, brain, etc.).

Magnesium protects the cell from aluminum, mercury, lead, cadmium, beryllium  and nickel. Evidence is mounting that low levels of magnesium contribute to the heavy metal deposition in the brain that precedes Parkinson's, multiple sclerosis and Alzheimer's. It is probable that low total body magnesium contributes to heavy metal toxicity in children and is a participant in the etiology of learning disorders.

Is Verapamil a mimic of Magnesium? As Calcium channel blocker, YES

« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2011 at 4:14pm by nhs »  

IP Logged

nhs
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2011 at 6:57pm

Magnesium Deficiency
Magnesium deficiency can cause decreased levels of dopamine. According to the National Institutes of Health's Office of Dietary Supplements, magnesium is one of the most abundant minerals in the body and is important for good health. About 50 percent of magnesium in the body is found in bone; the other 50 percent is found in other body tissues and organs. Magnesium is crucial for memory and other cognitive functions. In some people, magnesium deficiency can manifest due to lack of magnesium in the diet, leading to memory decline and a dopamine deficiency. Common signs and symptoms associated with magnesium deficiency include decreased appetite, nausea, vomiting, personality changes, muscle spasms and cramps, fatigue, weakness, abnormal heart rhythms, depression and cluster headaches. The National Institutes of Health states that certain individuals may need extra magnesium, including people with poorly-controlled diabetes, people with Crohn's disease and older adults.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2012 at 7:54pm

nhs wrote on Dec 13th, 2011 at 4:44pm:
RB Singh 1987

Medical Hospital and Research Center, Moradabad-10, India

Mg and verapamil have similar effects on the cardiovascular system. Both the agents have been successfully used for the treatment of hypertension and protection of the ischaemic myocardium. The exact mechanism of action of calcium blocking drugs including verapamil is unknow. It is proposed that verapamil stimulates the Mg-carrying transport system and Mg diffusion in the cell so that Mg influx is enhanced. This in turn causes suppression of the slow inward Ca current and fast inward Na current resulting into decreased transport of Ca and Na. Verapamil possibly also influences outward K and Mg currents and alter the shape and duration of the action potential.

This rang a bell, apart from the topic.

I don't have it anymore, but in 2003 I read a study from Milan about isolating genes and clusters.  They printed results on a possibility of something found in chromosome 1 (ATP1A2) with cluster patients: A malfunction of the pump which shifts NA and K through the cell.  Difficulty in shifting NA out of a cell would cause it swell.

Also brought to mind any relationship in anti-inflammatory and "swell".

It's a different angle, I haven't paid attention to any follow-up.

« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2012 at 8:08pm by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

ImOnlyHuman
CH.com Sponsor

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 2:14pm

Looks like its time for me too dance again too. Have not had one since last April, but started a new cycle on Feb 1st, just like last year. Almost like clockwork. That is so weird to me, how its like the Devil was just watching his calendar and waiting.
     I just hope my doubleing up on my blood pressure meds ( verapamil) is as effective as it was last year. So far my headaches have not been to severe the last 3 nights, but I just had a 45 minute nap ( my usual start time ) and have got a pretty intense one going right now. Wanted to make sure I am "IN" a cycle.  Wow! I am pretty sure now that I am.
    So I will start doubling up on the meds today.
    One thing IS for sure, Its Nice To Know My Fellow Cluster Heads Are Still Right Here For Me! ..........

Since I have not yet started doubling my Veraps yet, I was wondering if it might be as effective for me to somehow increase my "Magnesium" some how. Is there something other than meds that I can eat that will do that for me? And has that been an effective way of dealing with CHs for anyone else?  Just wondering.

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #7 - Feb 5th, 2012 at 10:41pm

I take 6000 IU of vitamin D3, and 1000 mg of mag a day and it's been a real nice PF ride.

Focus...
Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!