Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CH and TMJ (Read 933 times)
bm7680
CH.com Junior

New York
CH and TMJ
Dec 13th, 2011 at 1:10am

does anyone know if there is a relations to CHs and TMJ because I believe I have both if that is even possible

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Re: CH and TMJ
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2011 at 8:22am

It is possible to have both; some others here do. I do not. I can't imagine teeth grinding or jaw clenching does anything good for CHs, but instead could be a trigger. Blessings. lance

IP Logged

Ruthigirl
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Wisconsin
Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2011 at 10:43pm

I also have TMJ, related to several car accidents, rather than the typical teeth grinding and that type of thing.  I've gotta believe there is some link because of the jaw pain that comes with CH.

It's not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have!

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Dec 19th, 2011 at 11:22am

There is a surprising volume of medical literature on the relation of dental issues to CH, much of it rather too complex for us to undertand.

This abstract doesn't directly say, "yea" or "nay" on a relationship but is saying: don't waste your time--refer.

Basically, my years of searching has never turned up medical studies which demonstrate a causal association.

The link that you see between these two conditions is not of one condition causing the second. Rather, there is a complex web of nerves serving our head which can carry pain signals of Cluster to, we regularly experience, our teeth, temple, and eyes. We do not accept that any of these three sites are causing Cluster, however.
===

4.J Am Dent Assoc. 2008 Dec;139(12):1616-24.

Trigeminal autonomic cephalalgias: a review and implications for dentistry.
Balasubramaniam R, Klasser GD, Delcanho R.
SourceDepartment of Oral Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, School of Dental Medicine, Philadelphia, USA. ramesh.balasubramaniam@uwa.edu.au

Abstract
BACKGROUND: The authors review the epidemiology, clinical features, pathophysiology, diagnosis, treatment, orofacial presentations and dental implications of trigeminal autonomic cephalalgias (TACs): cluster headache (CH), paroxysmal hemicrania (PH) and short-lasting unilateral neuralgiform headache attacks with conjunctival injection and tearing (SUNCT).

TYPES OF STUDIES REVIEWED: The authors conducted PUBMED searches for the period from 1968 through 2007 using the terms "trigeminal autonomic cephalalgias," "cluster headache," "paroxysmal hemicrania," "short-lasting unilateral neuralgiform headache attacks with conjunctival injection and tearing," "epidemiology," "pathophysiology," "treatment," "oral," "facial" and "dentistry." They gave preference to articles reporting randomized, controlled trials and those published in English-language peer-reviewed journals.

RESULTS: TACs refers to a group of headaches characterized by unilateral head pain, facial pain or both with accompanying autonomic features. Although their pathophysiologies are unclear, CH, PH and SUNCT may be differentiated according to their clinical characteristics. Current treatments for each of the TACs are useful in alleviating the pain, with few refractory cases requiring surgical intervention. Patients with TACs often visit dental offices seeking relief for their pain.

CLINICAL IMPLICATIONS: Although the prevalence of TACs is small, it is important for dentists to recognize the disorder and refer patients to a neurologist. This will avoid the pitfall of administering unnecessary and inappropriate traditional dental treatments in an attempt to alleviate the neurovascular pain.

PMID:19047667[PubMed]
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2011 at 11:30am by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

IndianaJohn
CH.com Hall of Famer

Into the jaws of the Beast

Decatur,Indiana,USA
Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 5:50pm

I have both.

My right TMJ pops quite often, and if I pop it during a CH, wow, incredibly bad idea...

Did my brains fall out or is this headache over?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!