Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I just don't know (Read 3201 times)
deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
I just don't know
Nov 27th, 2011 at 7:56pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Virginia
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Keystone Heights, FL
Re: I just don't know
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2011 at 12:06am

Ok this one hits home...I am a army wife, my hubby did a tour in Iraq in the very beginning, back in 2003 with the 5th special forces group.

I am only posting this because I know that if he saw someone running around our house, the first thing he would grab would be his gun, yes he has PTSD, but he also believes in protecting his family. Now I am also a cops daughter, my dad retired from the police force, that being said I believe this could definately have been handled by the SWAT team better.

Proud Army Wife
RIP - I miss you Daddy
12/31/2010

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2011 at 11:02am

I have a question about it... if they were serving a search warrant - WHY didn't they just knock on the damn door and show it to the people instead of running aound outside with guns?

It was daylight - the oldest kid was in school .. what's the problem with knocking on the door?

My first instinct, if I saw people running around outside my house, would be to grab a gun and find out WHY.

From what I've read, it's up in the air if even had a reason to suspect him (his brother and cousin yes, but nothing on him). 25 year Marine - 2 tours of duty in Iraq... makes one wonder.. could it have been his "name"?

Personally, I think the Sheriff's office needs to be investigated a little more in this case.

Just my opinion.. Kiss

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2011 at 10:13pm

With two sons who are Marines, one of whom is also a cop, I find myself scratching my head on this one.  Knowing the quality of reporting we get around here I'm also sure there is a lot of factual misinformation in the article.  I know the procedures followed by the SWAT team did not match up to the level of procedure followed by our PD here in Aurora.  I agree with Barb that there needs to be a major investigation.

71 rounds fired from four .40 caliber handguns and one AR 15 is totally excessive in itself.  Not one of those weapons is fully automatic, so each shot had to have been fired intentionally.  It also would have required reloading, unless they were using larger than normal magazines.  22 shots into the body of the man who was "suspected" is very excessive, or else the officers involved are so totally incompetent that they cannot hit a target sufficiently well to put him down with only one or two shots. 

I'd like to hear what Joe and Jimi have to say on this.  I always want to be in support of our Law Enforcement, and i know most of the time they do it right.  This time, I wonder.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2011 at 7:15am

Drugs and drug gangs members moving quantities are very dangerous busts.  Because of the nature of value, whether drugs or money, pretty vast protection is involved, meaning guns, coupled with a certain desperation. 

The law enforcement members who make up these teams are some gung ho cowboys sometimes, the ones who want to be first through the door.  When they do, you're on the floor with a gun to your head in seconds.  It's all action. 

If this was the suspected scenario, a gun branished is a hyper situation, and fast acting. 

In this case the story gets mucky, he shot first, then his gun was on safety.  Then said someone tripped and they thought he was shot.  Who knows, could be how the Boston Massacre started.  ( John Adams in fact defended the Brits)

He's a former long time marine with a sterling reputation, but possibly had another side.

All I can say is that if this was a bust, it is sudden, focused, and powerfully penetrating when it happens.  I've been there twice (many years ago).

Also, a friend had what I think was Customs and ATF do the same thing for US/Canada dealing.  A team flew up the driveway with kids playing and mom outside.  Intense.

As to the number of shots, that can happen too in the height of disaster.  My girlfriend's son went through the Selfridge Air National Guard Base, supposedly unauthorized entry at a tense time, right after 9/11, and did not stop when motioned to do so.  Seventeen of over thirty shots hit him. 

I only bring this up because it is another heightened situation scenario causing instant reaction.

Despite the mindset in the situation of the individuals shooting, it may be this case will have to go to appeal.
« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2011 at 7:34am by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #5 - Nov 29th, 2011 at 7:47am

Not to be picky here, but this young man was only 27 and he was not retired from the Marines after 25 years (it doesn't change the outcome nor the intent of the article).

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #6 - Nov 29th, 2011 at 8:18am

Correction noted - maybe he was 25 when he got out - I just read that wrong I guess.. I did wonder what he was doing with two kids that small...

I just think there's too many "maybe's" in this one.

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #7 - Nov 29th, 2011 at 8:52am

Additionally, if he was singled out with a reputation as being an enforcer type of a gang or group, then special attention would go something like:

If he gives you any trouble taking him as a prisoner, then don't take him as a prisoner.

Having the weapon in hand he readied could have signaled that trouble. 

Sounds like it went fast as he woke up, but who might he thought they were if they weren't police?

If it's police, you drop your gun. 

No telling if he got that chance.  I'd believe they identified themselves.
« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2011 at 9:01am by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #8 - Nov 29th, 2011 at 10:23am

There's a thing sometimes called "Scenario Fulfilment."

Young gun ho men now and then react carelessly since the militarization of police, largely caused by the supposed drug war. In the military, hopefully, well-trained officers have the say, not a SWAT team leader. Restraint isn't what comes first to mind. Too much hardware that is too easy to use.

Charlie

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
135447360 mondocharlie mondocharlie  
IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #9 - Nov 29th, 2011 at 7:28pm

Kevin_M wrote on Nov 29th, 2011 at 8:52am:

Sounds like it went fast as he woke up, but who might he thought they were if they weren't police?

If it's police, you drop your gun. 

Let's see, he's a combat veteran with two tours behind him.  He was sound asleep, woke up to his wife telling him that someone was outside shooting a gun (he might not have heard them say police).  Grabs his weapon not even thinking about what he's doing.  It doesn't look like they gave him a chance to drop his weapon (and he might have been sleepy enough for things to dawn on him).

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #10 - Nov 29th, 2011 at 8:10pm

I have hesitated to comment on this thread for a number of reasons, foremost being I wasn't there. I will answer a few questions as best I can based on MY experiences:

The number of shots is not excessive. When we shoot, we shoot to kill. The .40 I carried held 17 rounds. The ones swat carries can be set to single fire, 3 round bursts or fully auto. The AR-15 the swat officer carried was undoubtedly set to auto or at least 3 round bursts, based on the info they had this guy was some kind of an enforcer.  (based on what my department used)

We do not shoot twice and see if we hit someone. We fire until he goes down. Cops in that situation are no different then soldiers on combat. When someone points a gun like that at you, you are more frightened then you ever imagined possible. In a thousandth of a second the round with YOUR name on it might be coming out.

On high profile narcotics warrants, we don't politely knock on the door regardless of the time of day. Dopers arm themselves heavily, are paranoid as hell, and drugs get flushed down the toilet in seconds on a drug raid. We typically position one cop by each bathroom window with instructions to break the window and beat the dopers away from the toilet as we hit the front door.

Before you rush to his defense based only on the fact he served his country, I've known enough bad cops, bad soldiers, bad priests, bad basketball coaches......to know that being the member of an exclusive fraternity, no matter how high the fraternitys' morals and ideals may be, does not preclude you from being a monster in sheeps uniform. I am in no way bashing ANY of these professions, being an ex cop and a HUGE supporter of the military, just saying the fact you served does NOT give you a free pass for life. 

It's good to discuss cases like this. Keep the heat on all involved, force them to justify all of their actions. Don't forget, a magistrate signed a search warrant based on an affidavit sworn out to him/her. That needs to be investigated to confirm where their information came from.

Rush to judgements, regardless of the side you are on, rarely produces a fair/impartial verdict.

I'm hoping for the best, while always cognizant mistakes do get made.

Joe

(who is so glad he's retired! Wink)

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #11 - Nov 29th, 2011 at 9:07pm

THANK YOU Joeseppi...I've been waiting. You don't owe us nothing...but it sure helps to know what it's like on the front line... from family. I don't know anything about the details...but I agree with EVERYTHING you said...let's find out.

I live in Seattle...supposedly the "kingdom of nice"... we've had more than our share of "officer down"...in fact, 2 years today that we lost four in the most senseless manner imaginable.

Where do we find folks like them and you?...I dunno....I sure couldn't do it. Am reminded of a conversation I had with a Seattle Police Officer. He told me..."we are trained to treat everyone like our Grandma...and yet, at the same time, be prepared to KILL Grandma". WOW...how can a human process THAT? He immediately said I shouldn't have told you this.....but he was wrong....we need to know THAT...because that's what these folks face.....daily.

That made an impression...and what sealed the deal...for me...was the time I was stopped by a Trooper. I watched in the mirror as he approached my window...and, at the same time, unsnapped his gun holster...HOLY S@*T! I get it......expect anything.

He looked at me...then at the 86 and 92 yr old parents I had in the back seat...and I knew...40 in a 25 wasn't gonna be a problem. Good stop for him...a reminder for me...and a lesson. If ya gonna speed...take along the old folks.

Thank you for YOUR service...

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #12 - Nov 30th, 2011 at 1:02am

Thanks, Jezep,

That is how it be.

I agree.

IP Logged

AubanBird
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

everywhere...
Reply #13 - Nov 30th, 2011 at 2:34am

the way the SWAT team reacted to a percieved threat is exactly how i would have.  we train and train until we no longer think about the reaction.  it doesnt matter if we see a weapon pointed directly at us, to the left, or being raised at us.  if we feel threatend, if we sense that there is hostile intent, we shoot.  or we dont come home.  personaly, i would not have given any warning whatsoever before breaching the door.  it may seem that acting with extreme violence in such situations would just bring about more deaths, but it is actualy just the opposite.  when we roll into a room, we dont want to give whoever is in it time to prepare for our entry.  if they dont have time to grab a weapon, there is no threat, we dont shoot.  a violent, UNARMED combatant will likely get a barrel punch that will  break ribs, or a buttstock to the face that may shatter a cheekbone, but they will live.  in my opinion the SWAT teams actions on the objective were completely appropriate.  i also do not believe they used excessive force.  as Guieseppi said, when we shoot we shoot to kill.  we ONLY shoot to kill.  those who dont eventually get themselves or their buddies killed.

just my .02
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2011 at 2:37am by AubanBird »  

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #14 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 1:25am

Thanks Joe,

You answered a couple of questions for me in that I know all departments arm their men differently.  My son's .40 only holds 9 rounds, but it is his backup gun.  In Aurora (Kane County SWAT) the SWAT team does not carry a fully auto AR 15.  It is semi-auto only.  They do have a full auto weapon for stand off type situations, but for a Search Warrant raid they cannot go full auto.  I only know this because I've participated in some of their training acting as either a perp or a hostage.  Those guys all have my highest respect, and I meant none in my questions.  The story just did not match up with my limited experience.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #15 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 9:04am

Yes there are some things that don't appear to match up Jerry. However keep in mind all the info that we are reading about is coming from the family of the Marine six months after it happened.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #16 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 10:28pm

I agree Jimi.  I also know how the reporting on things goes up this way.  I always discount about 90% and question the rest.  I will be watching with interest what happens.

jc

Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!