Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Verapamil Dosage (Read 14577 times)
LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Re: Verapamil Dosage
Reply #25 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 2:36am

Suffering, yet surviving test rat here appreciates your advice Mike, thanks for sharing.

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #26 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 6:07am

Is heavy night sweating common with higher dosage?

Sheets and pillow absolutely are soaked ever night.

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #27 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 11:01am

Not in my case (480-1040).....but we're all different Gregg.

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Lenny
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Los Angeles,CA
Reply #28 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 11:19am

LasVegas wrote on Nov 21st, 2011 at 6:07am:
Is heavy night sweating common with higher dosage?

Sheets and pillow absolutely are soaked ever night.

This is what they call "hot flashes"...usually happens with females...what is your story  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

never happened to me...but i did stay at a motel 6 once

yes a newbie,unfortunately not to the beast!!!Chronic - Clusterhead

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #29 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 11:27am

Not from the verap, but I remember nights of several 9+ hits and enduring 45 minutes for the abortive to kick in.  Sweaty.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #30 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 1:14pm

Due to see neurologist in 1 week.  He prescribed me 240mg daily.  He went out of the country for past 2 weeks and although his office mgr was able to reach him daily, I thought nothing of asking permission to increase dosage.  Since I met with the doc a few weeks ago, I have since increased my dosage from 240mg to 480mg, as outlined in previous posts.  I go to the local drug store and check my BP every other day and is within normal range.  Also, no signs of dizziness, lightheaded, tightness in chest, etc.

Been on 480mg for 1 week now and still being hit an (average over the week) of 3x/nightly and 2x/day (Average total 5 within 24 hr period) + I have lingering annoying shadows that last several hours at a time that o2 does not rid.  I am debating on increasing again to 540mg as I feel desperate.

My concern, besides continuing attacks at this increased dosage, is most prescribing doctors have a policy against self administration without prior doctor approval. 

When I go to my appt next week, I am concerned he will discharge me as a patient.  I realize I should've consulted 1st before increasing dosages, but didn't and what's done is done. 

Advice? Undecided
« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2011 at 1:16pm by LasVegas »  

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #31 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 3:13pm

LasVegas wrote on Nov 25th, 2011 at 1:14pm:
My concern, besides continuing attacks at this increased dosage, is most prescribing doctors have a policy against self administration without prior doctor approval. 

When I go to my appt next week, I am concerned he will discharge me as a patient.  I realize I should've consulted 1st before increasing dosages, but didn't and what's done is done.

Virtually all doctors will not approve of patients changing doses without approval for the obvious reasons.

However there are a few things you can say to defend this, which include the fact that he was away, you researched the dose change and you monitored the results. It's not a perfect defence but it's a lot better than someone who has blindly doubled the dose without any consideration at all.

For myself, I've discussed this extensively with my GP. He freely admits that I am not his average patient in that I know significantly more about CH than he does and that I can make small changes in my verapamil dose in response to it's effect over time. However I do update them the next time I see them after a dose change and I update them with why I changed and it's impact. I also get 6 months ECGs which we discuss and so far has resulted in a constant PR interval.

So work with your doctors around the protocol for changing doses.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #32 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 6:21am

No change in the past week at 480mg with my frequency nor intensity and still the long shadows as previously mentioned. Angry

This is so frustrating, never had a cycle this long! Embarrassed

O2 slave here! Undecided

Went to neurologist, $300 cash visit for 15 minutes, who was disappointed I didn't start Topomax he wrote script for.  Told him I didn't want 1, 2 or all 3 of the side effects common i've learned about Topomax...stupidness, moodiness, weight loss.

Was honest with him and told him I increased to 480mg Verapamil and need another increase.  He said he would not increase mg without EKG and cardiologist recommended report stating what Verapamil mg dose is acceptable based on cardiologist recommendation.
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2011 at 7:19am by LasVegas »  

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #33 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 9:23am

LV,

Have you considered RC seeds?   I have been in cycle since March, but I can sometimes go up to three weeks between hits since I started using them.

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
Reply #34 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 9:27am

Jeannie wrote on Dec 2nd, 2011 at 9:23am:
LV,

Have you considered RC seeds?   I have been in cycle since March, but I can sometimes go up to three weeks between hits since I started using them.

Jeannie

Jeannie are u on prevents and doing the seed's ?

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #35 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 10:06am

I am not on any other meds at this time. Only O2 and energy drinks for aborts.    I have, in the past, used Verap and seeds together.

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus

Patterson,California
Reply #36 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 9:42am

LasVegas wrote on Dec 2nd, 2011 at 6:21am:
No change in the past week at 480mg with my frequency nor intensity and still the long shadows as previously mentioned. Angry

This is so frustrating, never had a cycle this long! Embarrassed

O2 slave here! Undecided

Went to neurologist, $300 cash visit for 15 minutes, who was disappointed I didn't start Topomax he wrote script for.  Told him I didn't want 1, 2 or all 3 of the side effects common i've learned about Topomax...stupidness, moodiness, weight loss.

Was honest with him and told him I increased to 480mg Verapamil and need another increase.  He said he would not increase mg without EKG and cardiologist recommended report stating what Verapamil mg dose is acceptable based on cardiologist recommendation.

Checking out your heart is reasonable. I hope you have insurance. I have a spot in my heart that doesn't conduct properly and my dosage was low and just recently was raised to 480mg per day.

It takes time to develope a relationship with a dr or neurologist. Mine respond to emails & that saves me payments for visits.

Can you request a copy of the neuro's report from customer service so you can see what he wrote in your chart. That way, if he is wrong or has made a mistake, you can communicate about it or decide to finhd another neurologist who is willing to help you.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #37 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 10:01am

No insurance.  Cardiologist appt this coming Monday.  $300 for new patient consult and $80 for EKG test.  Insurance would certainly have been helpful.  Hopefully my heart is strong enough to increase Verapamil dosage.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #38 - Dec 12th, 2011 at 2:42pm

Went to Cardiologist this morning. 

EKG is normal.

Cardiologist wrote note "To whom it may concern...his blood pressure, heart rate and EKG are normal at current daily dosage of 480mg Verapamil.  For blood pressure and other cardiac indications 480mg of Verapamil per day is the maximum recommended dose.

If the neurology literature supports the safety and use of higher doses for cluster headaches I have no objection as long as his heart rate stays above 50/min, his systolic blood pressure stays greater than 90 and his EKG remains normal."

After I left cardiologist office, I immediately drove this hand written doctor note with copy of my EKG to the neurologist office and left this paperwork with the receptionist.

Less than two hours later, I just received a phone call from the neurologist who told me he did his research and can not find anything in any neurological literature to support an increase above 480mg.

I told him there are plenty of neurologists who prescribe higher doses than 480mg of Verapamil for CH's.  He told me I can either go to one of those neurologists or provide him with sound neurological literature promoting the safe use of higher than 480mg of Verapamil.

If anybody has any medical literature that shows higher dosages of 480mg Verapamil is proper treatment for CH's, please post link here on this thread and/or PM and/or email it to me.

This is bureaucratic bullshit at my painful expense! Angry

« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2011 at 2:44pm by LasVegas »  

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #39 - Dec 12th, 2011 at 3:07pm

Seen below is the email I sent to my neurologist and he WAS satisfied with these two credentials for approving a Verapamil increase. Wink

Per our telephone conversation this morning, seen below is a link regarding Verapamil dosage for Cluster Headaches.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Additionally, please see attached pdf file (top of page 7) regarding Verapamil dosage for Cluster Headaches.

Please advise if these two pieces of supporting literature will suffice for an increased dosage to 560mg.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2011 at 6:18pm by LasVegas »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (96 KB | 4 )

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #40 - Dec 13th, 2011 at 2:44am

It looks like you had a good day in being able to progress to what hopefully for you will be a more effective dose whilst at the same time getting the reassurance that the dose you're currently on is fine for your heart.

I hope the $ paid out returns dividends for you.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #41 - Dec 13th, 2011 at 12:06pm

Mike NZ wrote on Dec 13th, 2011 at 2:44am:
It looks like you had a good day in being able to progress to what hopefully for you will be a more effective dose whilst at the same time getting the reassurance that the dose you're currently on is fine for your heart.

I hope the $ paid out returns dividends for you.

Thank you for your kind words and acknowledging my fight to educate my neurologist.  This recent experience of mine just goes to show how important it is for us CH'ers to be knowledgeable about this disease and the value of being a self-advocate.
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2011 at 12:10pm by LasVegas »  

IP Logged

69Strat
CH.com Junior

Girls, Guitars, German
Shepherds

Reply #42 - Dec 13th, 2011 at 7:33pm

As usual, what works then may or may not work now. I've taken 960 mgs of verap with no relief. Now as a chronic in high cycle I started a course of verap after a 6 month hiatus. I was up to 480mg and headaches were lessening in frequency and intensity. I dropped to 240mg with no changes. I also started Batch's D3 regimen 2 1/2 weeks ago and I think that deserves most of the credit. FWIW.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #43 - Dec 13th, 2011 at 9:57pm

Verap at 480mg worked great last cycle, this cycle it reduced some frequency and added daytime shadows that last on average 4 hours, go figure, hopefully the new 560mg I started today takes effect soon as i'm losing my patience, anti-inflammatory regimen has done absolutely nothing for me and have been on it over 3 months at 15,000 IU D3 and the last 2 weeks at 25,000 IU of D3 along with the omega 3, calcium citrate, magnesium. It does work for others though, again...go figure.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #44 - Dec 24th, 2011 at 7:49pm

up to 640mg, 1 week of PF nights, still getting daytime shadows up to 3 hours unless I abort also still getting at least 1 but not more than 2 attacks everyday, blood pressure on the lower side but don't give a shit as the trade off for sleep and minimal attacks is worth it

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #45 - Dec 31st, 2011 at 8:00pm

Two weeks PF nights Smiley

Three days no shadows  Smiley

Two days no attacks  Smiley

640mg is my needed dosage this cycle and am starting to feel really optimistic about a normal life again  Smiley

Hopefully this living nightmare is over  Roll Eyes

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2012  Wink
-Gregg in Las Vegas
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2011 at 8:01pm by LasVegas »  

IP Logged

Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus

Patterson,California
Reply #46 - Jan 1st, 2012 at 5:53pm

I hope this does it. Smiley <3

IP Logged

anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
Reply #47 - Jan 1st, 2012 at 6:08pm

Gregg
So happy to hear that buddy!! PF for life bro!
Anthony

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #48 - Jan 11th, 2012 at 11:29pm

tomorrow will be 3 weeks PF and going to start my taper down and beer test this weekend, fingers crossed for good luck Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #49 - Jan 12th, 2012 at 1:59am

LasVegas wrote on Jan 11th, 2012 at 11:29pm:
tomorrow will be 3 weeks PF and going to start my taper down

Glad to hear you've got there and are holding.  It was 640mg that finally held me when I started verap, mentioned back on page one here.  It takes faith.  Good to see it does work for you.  Different times required different doses.

I never lliked to stay at that level either and would try to reduce when I could.  Taper down gradually, it could be about 48 hours when you first decrease to find if you're wrong, and keep on the eight hour schedule for the quicker release type.

Good to read this thread went from bad times to here you've been pf and going to check into tapering down.   Great!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!