Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Verapamil Dosage (Read 14565 times)
LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Verapamil Dosage
Nov 17th, 2011 at 1:11pm

Verapamil...started almost 3 weeks ago, began at 240mg for 1st week.

Increased dosage to 320mg on 2nd week.

Increased dosage to 400mg for past 5 days and plan to increase to 480mg today.

Frequency down (from 8x--12x/day) to 5x/day based on diary over past 5 days at 400mg Verapamil.

Pain intensity has reduced somewhat, but by no means manageable without o2 that provides relief 70% of the time.  KIP 7-8-9 still typical of my daily life. 
Out of Imitrex Embarrassed

Trying to do some math and would appreciate input...

Granted everybody responds differently to each medication.

It's understood what works for one cycle may not be effective on the next cycle.

Trying to calculate when I can anticipate 2 or less attacks in a 24 hour period.

Neurologist recommended 3 weeks Leave of absence from work to give Verapamil a chance to help .  Scheduled to return this coming Monday and still attacked 5x/day so i'd like to PREDICT when I may be able to return to work, budget my $, etc.

If Verapamil typically takes 2 weeks to titrate blood levels to therapeutic dosage, how long does it typically take to provide relief with each dosage increase?

How long does one endure the daily and nightly TORTURE by the DRAGON before realizing this as good as it gets? 

Providing the EKG and blood pressure are ok, how much of an increase and how often do you increase dosages of Verapamil before you accept this is as good as it gets?

Or when do you give up on Verapamil as a sole med and consider adding something to the mix such as Lithium, Topomax, etc?

My neurologist is open to listening and admits I know more than he on CH's, so I would like to learn as much as I can here before going in for another appointment and being prescribed additional treatment that is potentially wishy washy.

I am confident with my basic 101 knowledge about CH's, yet feel still so helpless in understanding what is truly in my best interest.

Any suggestions?

« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2011 at 1:13pm by LasVegas »  

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Verapamil Dosage
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2011 at 2:40pm

In my decades of prowling medical literature I have no memory of seeing any effort to try and answer the specific question which you have raised, i.e., specific intervals re. dosing and response.

I assume you have seen the protocol about use of Verap. and dosing increases which I regularly post. It seems reasonable to go up to the 900mg level and then add lithium (as the most effective med next to Verap.)

Should Lithium not be effective, you still have a couple of other meds to try, notwithstanding, that they are not ranked as being as effective as Lithium. (Individual response to any med is always the unknowable variable--and source of frustration.)

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2011 at 2:41pm

Quote:
Increased dosage to 400mg for past 5 days and plan to increase to 480mg today.

Frequency down (from 8x--12x/day) to 5x/day based on diary over past 5 days at 400mg Verapamil.

Looks like a start.  Sometimes a prevent may have trouble catching up to an established bad period - like taking an abortive when a hit is in full swing.  A longer way to go to overtake the hit. 

See if results continue at 480mg/day and maybe ask doc to consider moving to 640mg/day as needed. 

Give it a chance and stay close to oxygen.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #3 - Nov 17th, 2011 at 2:46pm

Thanks Bob and Kevin,

Just trying to predict when I can get well enough with typical Verapamil treatment to get my life back away from being a enslaved at home with the o2.

Timing is never on our side with CH's.

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

zacsz
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 17th, 2011 at 3:31pm

Vegas, it sounds like a good start is right but people's experiences definitely vary. Odd as it sounds, I had almost no decrease in headache frequency up until I hit 720mg (including very little difference at 640mg). Then, poof, had a lot of pain free days and that dose worked well for a while. I also know some people find enormous success with as little as 480mg.

That said, I'm sure you know by now from my recent posts that the Verap has not really been working great. I think my Doc mentioned something about Neurontin also being helpful in conjunction with Verap (I'm on them both for the time being). But yes, as others have said, it's kind of impossible to calculate. Thank goodness it's going in the right direction though!

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2011 at 3:49pm

I feel like such a helpless newbie posting these questions as I have had success in past cycles where I was very comfortable with my knowledge.

However, I was in a coma about 6 yrs ago (which I believe attributed to my 6 yr remission) and have memory loss of many aspects of my life.

Reviewing some of my posts in the archives section from years past makes me think I was once an intelligent CH'er and now am kinda learning all over again.

Head trauma triggered my CH's 32 yrs ago and head trauma triggered a 6 yr remission, strange but true!

Never have I experienced such a long cycle and that is my biggest concern/helpless feeling as I approach Week 16 and don't even have effective treatment, YET.

I found an old diary in the garage the other day.  It was from when I was 15 yrs old in CH cycle.  I wrote...Death is a gift when torture is involved!  As typical of many CH'ers I was contemplating suicide and back then (27 yrs ago) there was no effective treatment nor diagnosis.

The bright side today is I am not suicidal, and have proper diagnosis with medication that has been effective for me in the past....just hoping I get to effective dosage soon as this cycle has really been a challenge to say the least.

Suppose my unanswered question to those of you who use Verapamil is...how does one determine at what dosage is enough?  Do you just continue increasing dosages, providing BP and EKG are ok, until you finally are at risk of blood pressure or heart problems? ....Or do you just tolerate some relief understanding Verapamil will not provide 100% PF and just endure the attacks?
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2011 at 4:06pm by LasVegas »  

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2011 at 8:27pm

LasVegas wrote on Nov 17th, 2011 at 3:49pm:
I feel like such a helpless newbie posting these questions as I have had success in past cycles where I was very comfortable with my knowledge.

Ask away brother!...you CAN'T exhaust THIS family. And remember....the only dumb question is one not asked....maybe it's one someone hasn't thought of...or been afraid to ask. 30 yr vet here and I aint comfortable with my knowledge.....
Wink

However, I was in a coma about 6 yrs ago (which I believe attributed to my 6 yr remission) and have memory loss of many aspects of my life.

Yikes...tough way to get a break.....questions/answers are a better option

Reviewing some of my posts in the archives section from years past makes me think I was once an intelligent CH'er and now am kinda learning all over again.

We ALL learn here...every day...just when you think you know it all...you DON'T...stick around

Head trauma triggered my CH's 32 yrs ago and head trauma triggered a 6 yr remission, strange but true!

Definite proof you don't have your head up your a....

Never have I experienced such a long cycle and that is my biggest concern/helpless feeling as I approach Week 16 and don't even have effective treatment, YET.

"Yet" is the key word.....you WILL find. Coming off 28 weeks myself...thought it would never end....thought WRONG......

The bright side today is I am not suicidal, and have proper diagnosis with medication that has been effective for me in the past....just hoping I get to effective dosage soon as this cycle has really been a challenge to say the least.

You may have no idea how delightful that statement is...but there are folks here with smiles as they read that...."a permanent solution to a temporary problem" is not in our credo....

Suppose my unanswered question to those of you who use Verapamil is...how does one determine at what dosage is enough?  Do you just continue increasing dosages, providing BP and EKG are ok, until you finally are at risk of blood pressure or heart problems? ....Or do you just tolerate some relief understanding Verapamil will not provide 100% PF and just endure the attacks?

Excellent questions. My experience...with an aggressive neuro... was starting at a dosage of 480 mg/dy. It worked...then it didn't...so she raised dosage. At times I go to 1040. I titrate (with permission) between those two (seems below 480 maintenance just gets me in trouble). Regular BP and EKG's is a must. At least for me...I know whether working or not. Not = more hits than "usual" and higher level hits.....

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #7 - Nov 17th, 2011 at 8:32pm

Thank You Jon!  That was creatively well written and straight to the point!  I appreciate your reply!

-Gregg in Las Vegas

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 2:41am

LasVegas wrote on Nov 17th, 2011 at 2:46pm:
Just trying to predict when I can get well enough with typical Verapamil treatment to get my life back away from being a enslaved at home with the o2.

Timing is never on our side with CH's.

It is during this period, when gradually increasing the verap, that a pred taper is typically used.  This keeps things at bay for a short while.  A sleep aid and something for the stomach should be prescribed to accompany a pred taper.

When I first started, my first pred taper was a 20 day one, with 20mg tablets.  Five in the morning for 5 days.  Then four in the morning for 3 days, three in the morning for 3 days, two in the morning for 3 days, one in the morning for 3 days, then 1/2 tablet in the morning for the last 3 days. 

At the same time verapamil was worked in at 120mg/day for one week, 240/day for the next week, then 360/day the third week. 

I was still doubtful at this time.

That was a start.  I went to 480 next and asked how far we'll go.  My neuro said between 720 - 900 before trying to work in another preventive med.   640mg/day turned the corner very well at the time.  This fluctuates according to need at different times.

This was her opinion and it worked for me with prescribing oxygen and a some Imitrex. 

This was the only time I used pred, but it was a useful time.

You're starting 480mg/day presently.  Ask your doc if 720mg is necessary, is he willing.  If you are also, it may be that less will turn a corner for you, too.  And it doesn't have to stay at a high level.  Once captured and under control for a while, later, small incremental decreases may bring you to the minimum level needed.

If you decrease, do it gradually.  I've found the more I take per day, the longer it takes the effect to be felt when decreasing.  For instance, above 480, the effects of decreasing aren't felt for about just over 48 hours.  If I'm only on 240, the effects are felt in 24 hours.  I think I saw Guiseppi mention something like that too in another thread. 

Increasing gradually is recommended also.  As Bob Johnson once put it, for the body to "accept" the change.

You should begin to see some improvement soon, but catching a runaway cycle at first can be slow to overtake and manage.

Good luck.        Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2011 at 2:43am by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #9 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 11:10am

Hey Gregg,

Kevin gave you THE primer...wonderful stuff...print it and put it on the wall!

One other thing. This has been the subject of much discussion...but was a while ago so you may not have seen. There are several forms of verap. "Sustained" release and "immediate" release. While not universal, myself and many others find that the sustained is not as effective as the immediate...regardless of dosage.
It also allows for a finer tweaking (I call it titration) of
dosages as you chase the cycle......

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #10 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 11:48am

Kevin and Jon,
Thanks for sharing your experience and suggestions.

Tomorrow will begin 16 weeks this cycle.  I've already had 2 Pred tapers this cycle and am not going to do a 3rd Pred taper this cycle as the side effects are too awful.

Not sure if I took 480mg yesterday or 320mg.  I thought I took 160mg in the am, pm and before bed.  However, last night I was so exhausted I passed out early to bed and when I awoke with TORTURE by the DRAGON and successfully aborted with o2, I question myself if I took my night time Verapamil.  I did not take the "before bed" Verapamil in fear I may have already taken it and didn't want to chance doubling that dose.

I've noticed that i've become very forgetful lately, not sure if it's the Verapamil or 15 weeks of sleep deprivation, think it's the latter.

So I will begin 480mg today, putting all my pills aside so I know I did or did not take them; opposed to just taking the pills from the prescription bottle.  As shared in a previous posting on this thread, I have titrated from 240mg which began almost 3 weeks ago.

Will continue to be a tortured guinea pig and hope 480mg is effective.  480mg has been an effective dose reducing intensity and frequency for me in the past but don't recall how much reduction of intensity and how much frequency reduction. 

Guess to determine what dosage is effective is a personal decision, as one just has to weigh out their personal lifestyle/work circumstances.  I know I personally will not function effectively at work nor would it be worth my time if I have a poor night sleep from waking with CH's AND if I have 2+ daytime attacks as o2 will be unavailable and can't afford the Imitrex financially on a daily basis nor afford Imitrex rebounds which are very common for me.

What works one cycle may not be effective the next cycle, as the DRAGON morphs.  Also, as I get older i've noticed I become less tolerant of pain.

I plan to increase dosage in a few days of giving 480mg a chance, if no tolerable improvement.  The time factor is the biggest problem I see with Verapamil as it takes so long to become effective requiring time between increased dosages to avoid blood pressure and heart issues.  This Verapamil time factor has become my biggest problem lately.  Will it be effective at this dose?  If so, how long do I "test" it before I feel comfortable leaving my home o2 for any length of time such as returning to work full-time? Etc., etc....I now realize answers to these questions are individualized to each CH'er.

I do value the input shared as it helped steer my thoughts in proper direction to understand what I must continue to try. 

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2011 at 12:08pm by LasVegas »  

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #11 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 2:21pm

Marc wrote on Nov 18th, 2011 at 1:50pm:
LasVegas wrote on Nov 17th, 2011 at 2:46pm:
Thanks Bob and Kevin,

Portable O2 tanks let me work through 13+ years of being chronic. I fill them from the T size tank at home.

I use E or Jumbo D for the car and tiny M4 and M6 (only 9"-12" long) tanks that fit in a small backpack along with my laptop.

You can find better pricing by looking around, but here is a listing of sizes and rough cost: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

No reason to stay at home. You will get good at knowing where to hide while sucking down the O2........

Marc

Hi Marc,
Thanks for the advice, but not practical for me.  o2 only aborts 70% of my attacks and that is using proper o2 therapy beginning o2 at onset of attack. 

Unfortunately, I use more o2 than most due to a lung impairment.  A small tank in my car might be practical for some, but for me I require more o2 than most to abort attacks due to a lung disability.  I'm in outside sales, driving around all day, average 30 businesses daily, etc and just not practical.

Great suggestion for others, but not practical for my individual situation. 

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #12 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 4:12pm

LasVegas wrote on Nov 18th, 2011 at 2:21pm:
A small tank in my car might be practical for some, but for me I require more o2 than most to abort attacks due to a lung disability. 

Sorry if we've gone over this ad nauseam, we very may well have and I've forgotten, but have you considered a demand valve system for the o2 , since it is not only the most effective o2 delivery system, but in effect it also conserves the o2, as it only shoots it out on inhale. Maybe that would make the small tank thing a bit more do-able?
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2011 at 4:43pm by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #13 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 4:21pm

Well aware of demand valves.  I simply don't have the time nor the patience I personally require to abort attacks while interrupting appointments, sitting in my car to get hopeful 70% abort during my demanding workday.  Thanks though!

Back to the Verapamil dosage...will post any progress in days to come at increased dosage of 480mg which started today.

Fingers are crossed

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #14 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 9:24pm

Hi Marc,
Similar professional background and also been here since 1999; but every CH'er has their own value of time, patience and tolerance of pain. 

Thanks for sharing!
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2011 at 9:24pm by LasVegas »  

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #15 - Nov 19th, 2011 at 2:38am

LasVegas wrote on Nov 18th, 2011 at 11:48am:
I've already had 2 Pred tapers this cycle and am not going to do a 3rd Pred taper this cycle as the side effects are too awful.

One reason I mentioned pred was that it be used for gradually introducing a preventative, it buys the time needed.  If it was pred alone, with no preventive med started, it can be that the hits come raging back right after the pred taper is finished.  That's why I mentioned that was the only time I used it, with the verapamil. 

At this point for you, already at 480, it may be less important now.

Quote:
I thought I took 160mg in the am, pm and before bed.

I've found it important to stay on schedule.  When being on 480, I took 240 in the morning and 240 at night, approximately twelve hours apart.  When taking it in the morning, I'd turn the bottle with the label facing backwards, I know I took it.  When taking it at night, I'd turn the bottle so the label is facing me, to know the night dose was taken.  Waking the next morning, if the label was turned around, I'd know I forgot to take it, etc.  It's a discipline, but fruitful.

Quote:
how long do I "test" it before I feel comfortable leaving my home o2 for any length of time such as returning to work full-time?

Verapamil may never be good enough to be able to leave home unprepared.  Some carry a trex in the glove box (but trex has a temperature range it should be kept in, Vegas is hot in a car), some more suitably, oxygen.  It's at the most inopportune time a hit may occur. 

My long leash has been double shots of expresso available at numerous popular franchises, like Starbucks or McDonalds.  It has helped for MANY hits sporadically breaking through a preventative, however with a preventative, the hits come on a bit more gradual.  Knowing the inkling one is coming, or in the vicinity of appearing helps, and I can't fool around with any different priority at that moment. 

This may not work for most, so... if on the road a lot, even if oxygen saved you one Kip 10, it would be worth it.     Wink

It happens.

If at a cluster convention, the place is stocked with oxygen.  People are away from home.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #16 - Nov 19th, 2011 at 5:29am

Kevin,
Great tip about the bottle facing back/forth and 240mg @ 2x/day sounds easier to remember than 160mg @ 3x/day.

Thanks,
Gregg

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #17 - Nov 19th, 2011 at 11:26pm

It may be easier to remember taking meds 2x/day instead of taking meds 3x/day but i've been SLAMMED all afternoon/this evening. 

Thinking because the Verap is immediate release that has something to do with it.  Going too long, since morning dose, until right before bed might be too long for me at this point.

Spreading the doses every 8 hrs might be in my best interest and just might have to tie a string around my finger to remember or something.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #18 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 3:09am

LasVegas wrote on Nov 19th, 2011 at 11:26pm:
the Verap is immediate release

Spreading the doses every 8 hrs might be in my best interest

Yes, Gregg.  Before posting I looked through this thread to see if you mentioned what kind of verap, but didn't find it.  While posting I meant to ask, replying got drawn out on other points and forgot to include that question.  So sorry.  A mistake epitomizing how important it is to continually stay on schedule with each particular release type.

Not a good time for this to happen.  Very sorry again. 

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #19 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 6:05am

Your intent was perfect, and logic made sense to help minimize forgetfulness; live and learn, right?

Thanks again

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #20 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 11:30am

Well, influencing the suggestion of label turning to remember is the fact my label says "take one every 8 hours".  However, being that they are SA (sustained), I know they can be taken twice instead of three times daily and still maintain a full day's coverage.  I had problems remembering too. 

At first it was prescribed to take all in the morning, but that wasn't necessary either, I felt tired as the day only started and sometimes got the worst early morning hits before taking them again.  I found twice daily for sustained to work best for me. 

Three times a day would be important to stick to for the quicker-acting.

IP Logged

Lenny
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Los Angeles,CA
Reply #21 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 12:58pm

Gregg

For myself...i would take the verap every 3-4 hours(spread it out)...this is how my doc wanted it done...it is a pain in the butt (you'll get used to it after a couple of days)...just set the alarm on your cell phone to go off every 3-4 hours

yes a newbie,unfortunately not to the beast!!!Chronic - Clusterhead

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #22 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 1:19pm

Lenny brother, i've got so many alarms going off on my phone as a single parent that I already confuse which is which.  Good suggestion though, better than wondering why I have a reminder string on my finger Cheesy Wink

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #23 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 3:30pm

That's why God invented multiple ring/alarm tones.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #24 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 1:35am

I've seen several threads discussing verapamil where some people get the best result with the instant release version and others with the sustained release version. What may well work best for you is a combination of the two with a certain dose via the sustained release, with top ups of instant release just before you tend to get your CHs.

We all seem to react slightly differently so it may be time to experiment with things under the guidance of your doctor.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!