Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
So frustrated with O2 (Read 1594 times)
slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
So frustrated with O2
Sep 17th, 2011 at 2:21am

I just went through two E-tanks trying to kill this attack at 25 LPM.  It took the edge off but I wasn't able to abort and as soon as I got off the O2, the beast hit even harder.  It was same deal last night too and at $15 a tank, this is getting expensive.

I can't seem to get a handle on Batch's method of hyperventilation no matter how hard I try.  Think I need to try a higher flow regulator but Flotec is backordered and it's a little out of my budget right now anyway.  My next step is to try that welding regulator from Harbor Freight Tools that people have posted about on this board.  Still a little unsure on how it'll work since it doesn't let you specify the LPM.

Sorry folks. I'm just cranky and needed to vent a little.
« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2011 at 2:22am by slacker032 »  

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: So frustrated with O2
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 7:59am

Actually, it's easier with the welding reg because you don't have to worry yourself about LPM. You just set it to keep pace with your breathing rate.

You using a non-rebreather mask?

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #2 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 12:57pm

Yup, I'm using the O2ptimask.  Hopefully I'll have better luck with the welding regulator.

IP Logged

ClosetCHer
CH.com Junior

United States
Reply #3 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 3:29pm

Slacker,
How early in the CH are you hitting the O2? I'm sure you've read it many times, but I have to get on early to abort an attack within 10-15 @ 15lpm. If I come later or right at the peak, it may take up to 20 minutes or I have to take a break and come back. If I'm at home and I feel one coming, I hop right on the 02 and take care of it. But I also have a 53 inch tall welding tank that holds a ridiculous amount so I can afford to abort each headache. Before the welding tank I "rationed" my smaller tanks depending on how bad I thought the headache would be, not a fun time!

Check your messages, I sent you a PM about my O2 system.

IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #4 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 3:43pm

I normally try to hit the O2 at the first sign of an attack.  It's just been really inconsistent for me at 25 lpm but Batch was kind enough to guide me through the correct steps on video so I think I've got a better handle on it.   I also plan on getting this higher flow regulator:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

ClosetCHer
CH.com Junior

United States
Reply #5 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 5:55pm

Slacker,
Sounds like a good plan to me, Batch has a lot of good advice. If you haven't ready his "123 pain free days..." post yet, you should as it has done wonders for me.

In retrospect, I should have purchased the kind of regulator you posted a link to opposed to my 15lpm regulator, which was the same price. Oh well, the 15lpm has been working well for me so far.

IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #6 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 6:07pm

ClosetCHer wrote on Sep 17th, 2011 at 5:55pm:
Slacker,
Sounds like a good plan to me, Batch has a lot of good advice. If you haven't ready his "123 pain free days..." post yet, you should as it has done wonders for me.

In retrospect, I should have purchased the kind of regulator you posted a link to opposed to my 15lpm regulator, which was the same price. Oh well, the 15lpm has been working well for me so far.

Yup, I can't say enough about Batch.  He's awesome!

I'm on his anti-inflammatory regimen as well.  The D3 regimen along with some melatonin before bed has just about eliminated my night hits.  Still getting a bad hit in the evening though so I'm upping my D3 dose to 15000 IU.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #7 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 8:39am

Ok, silly question alert: have you tried slamming an energy drink prior to going on the O2? I only ask because in my experience chugging down a cold Monster and then going on the O2 is more effective at aborting quickly. Also, sometimes I am in too much pain to be able to fully comply with Batch's routine, and I breathe very rapidly which gets me on top of the hit so I can work more deliberately. Takes longer but while the rapid breathing doesn't lend itself to a quick abort it does mitigate the pain. Good luck with getting a new rig set up. Pray it works for ya. Blessings. lance

IP Logged

Glassman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Ohio
Reply #8 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 9:21am

I've got a Harbor Freight regulator too and though  I've not had to use it yet (I'm currently out of cycle ) I'd like to know about what PSI to start at that would be equal to 25 LPM?

Maine Coon Cat Crazy

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 10:30am

Glassman wrote on Sep 19th, 2011 at 9:21am:
I've got a Harbor Freight regulator too and though  I've not had to use it yet (I'm currently out of cycle ) I'd like to know about what PSI to start at that would be equal to 25 LPM?

Glassman, it doesn't matter. Just play with it until it keeps pace with your breathing rate, and try to force yourself to hyperventilate while you're aborting. Dial it back a little to accommodate normal breathing once the pain passes and stay on it for a good 5-10 minutes after it's gone.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Glassman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Ohio
Reply #10 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 11:22pm

Thanks, Brew!  It's been a while since I've posted (been way busy) but I'm always reading up on the message board. It seems like I've only now caught up from this past cycle which ended in March.

Maine Coon Cat Crazy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!