Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Steroidal Nerve Block a Miracle for me (Read 2154 times)
Gidget
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Steroidal Nerve Block a Miracle for me
Sep 15th, 2011 at 11:34pm

I wanted to wait until my "normal" 3 month cycle was over before I told you about my miracle. My first CH happened 9 years ago. I was missed diagnosed for 3 months and then finally the doctors at the pharmaceutical company where I worked diagnosed me and got me into The Jefferson Headache center. By then I was ending the cycle and no meds were given. The docs said I may never have then again or I could be back within a year. They said if and when it happened again they would start me on treatment. I had my second CH cycle this last fall and my third one was early this summer. I couldn't get into my headache center last fall (actually I was given an appointment 3 moths later)as I would be concidered a new patient since it had been 9 years. So I suffereed through it, although I landed in the hospital a few times. This last time I got in after a week due to a cancellation. I was told later that I should have gotten in within 48 hours but a new scheduler had not receivved this info. Either way, here was my miracle. I received a steroidal nerve block in my neck. Boths sides of my neck were injected because last fall it was on my right side, this past spring it was on my left side. To be exact I had about 8 injections in the back base of my neck. Let me tell you I haven't had a headache since. I came home, dropped to my knees and thanked god for my doctor who made me pain free. My doctor said it doesn't work for everyone especially cronics. I told him I wish everyone could could give it a chance. He stated that unfortunately not enough neurologists are up to spead on this treatment. BTW, I saw the Director of the Headache Center. He is one of the formost. leading doctors, who treat Cluster headache sufferers, also migranes. Let me say he also started the center. I've shortened this story quite a bit. I left out all the usual stuff like the pain, agony, mental agony, the contemplation of suide, the 3 to 8 hits a night, the fear of falling asleep and the withdrawal from family and friends. Let me know if you are interested in my journey or want more info. Will be glad to share more. My heart goes out to all CH sufferers. I pray that some of you are able to have a miracle like me. I live in south eastern PA and would be happy to meet with you to discuss in person.

IP Logged

matt25holland
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: Steroidal Nerve Block a Miracle for me
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 5:35am

well done gidget! congratulations! were all happy for you that this treatment works for you! maybe you could give us some more information about the treatment itself? what did the doctor tell you?

IP Logged

B.Baer
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Northeast Pennsylvania
Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 8:54pm

Congrats. Gidget,

I have had an Occipital Nerve block and was told by the Neuro. when it works it works extremely well. I, unfortunately only got a numb base of the skull and upper neck. Proof positive to what I've always feared, that I'm a numb-skull....  Wink Cheesy

Glad to hear this treatment worked so well for you.

Baer

Barry Baer  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 8:34am

Glad you are pf. Keep us posted on how well this works on keeping the beast at bay as time goes by. Blessings. lance

IP Logged

Pfunk
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Summerville,South_Carolina
Reply #4 - Oct 2nd, 2011 at 1:28am

I too have had several Occipital Nerve Blocks done in the past. I can say that with me it has been 'hit-or-miss'. On a few occasions my cycle stopped completely but on others, there has been no change whatsoever. When, my cycles get particularly bad, doc and I usually give it a shot with the hopes that it will stop quickkly as it had in the past. Great to hear that you are pf and heres to and extended period of time away from the beast for you.

Pfunk Cool

http:facebook.com/ptcimino  
IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2011 at 9:45am

This sounds really cool Gidget!  Have you noticed any negative side effects from it?

IP Logged

Imitrex4Breakfast
CH.com Veteran

Kentuckiana
Reply #6 - Oct 5th, 2011 at 1:27am

My first ON block worked for a few weeks, but the other times I did it, it always failed. I do hope it works for you for a very long time !

Good Luck !

IP Logged

Gidget
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 10:06am

Well, it's been 3 months and I'm still PF. My doctor at the Jefferson Headache Center in Philly, said it doesn't work for everyone but fortunately it worked 100% for me. He told me I could have the nerve block as much as once a month. To answer the question above, I have had no side effects. I feel fantastic. I wish everyone could at least give it a try.

IP Logged

AbbysMom
CH.com Junior

So glad to be here!

Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Reply #8 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 10:46am

Wow Gidget, that is fantastic!  My next stop was the Jefferson HC if I didn't get relief from the sumavel dosepro my dr prescribed.  I'm also a local gal. I won't hesitate to call them up if I need them. Thanks so much for sharing!

Hugs,
Nicole

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW nm.teach  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!