Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dihydroergotamine infusion (Read 5731 times)
daveengland
CH.com Junior

i'm not insane,just in
PAIN !!!

x0|england||europe|194|232|
Dihydroergotamine infusion
Sep 14th, 2011 at 5:49pm

hi all,
Ive been lucky this year, have been under the care(at last)
Of dr matharu in london.i have had 3 GON injections this year
tried more anti convulsives(pregabilin sodium vlpoaratr topirimax) this last 9 months.
Last three weeks have been amongst the worst in my life-depression,partner miscarried,losing house.
I really know why this ******  is called suicide headache.

Im waiting to be admitted to queens square clinic in london thurs/fri 15/16 .im going to be having a DHE infusion.
Im in for 5days.has anyone out there had an experience/any knowledge of this procedure.
Its something ive never heard of.

Hoping many PF days for all

Dave
for a 5

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Dihydroergotamine infusion
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2011 at 7:26pm

This technique has been around for a number of years but, in the U.S., is not used often because of the costs (hospital, etc.).

Since it's used for situations, like yours, which have not responded to the more common treatments, the long term success rate is rather mixed. I don't have any statistics but a memory/impression of reports about initial success but, too commonly, not lasting for long. Still, worth your effort to try.

Please keep us abreast of the results.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2011 at 8:19am

About 4 years ago I was in full blown intractable CH cycle. KIP 8+ every hour on the hour for 3 months at a time. Went in for a DHE infusion and a med switch. Lasted about 3 months until they came back. A year and a half ago they reached the same level of intractability. That's when I went up on verapamil (I'm at 640mg/day) and scored a demand flow regulator for my M tank, and coupled it up with Monster. Been chronic still but nothing like before. Good luck with this, and God bless. lance

IP Logged

daveengland
CH.com Junior

i'm not insane,just in
PAIN !!!

Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2011 at 11:27am

Thanks for the words advice.latest is ive just been told that a bed is now available.
Im heading to london now, infusion starting tomorrow.
No imigran(imitrex) until start of procedure.so O2 for the journey and tonight.
Will post results in a few days

Well here goes.......

Dave

IP Logged

daveengland
CH.com Junior

i'm not insane,just in
PAIN !!!

Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 2:04pm

Hi all,

Well, the infusion was great. 5 pain free days and nights(although it felt like an elephant sitting on my chest).

I returned home and precisely 24hours after the last infusion i had probably the worst attack ive ever had. Imigran didnt work for the first time ever.

72 hours later started methysergide.1 mg in the morning increasing dosage every 5 days to reach 4 mg 3 times a day.
Headaches every 2 hrs, imigran not really working O2 neither.
Went back to Queens square for multiple site Nerve block and was offered an emergency admission for intravenous lidocaine.

As i type this i am lying in a hospital bed on 60 ml IV Lidocaine.have been here since monday( my birthday!!!) and so far its had quite an effect. Reduced severity a lot and is starting to reduce frequency. IV lasts for 10 days then im on to mexillitine (?)

Anybody have any experience of this?

Me and my family went through hell while i was on methysergide, and id hate to go through something like that again.

Wishing pain free days to all,

Dave

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 2:38pm

I did a rough search in the largest medical library in the U.S. but found zero on this IV approach.

There have been a few reports of using L as a nasal spray with mixed reports coming through. I suspect the success rate would be higher if folks could master the technique needed for this technique.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

cluster
CH.com Old Timer

WaterX3 - It helps!

Cologne(Europe)
Reply #6 - Dec 16th, 2011 at 4:11pm

"Intravenous lidocaine and mexiletine in the management of trigeminal autonomic cephalalgias."

Abstract: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Cluster Headache News: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register - German CH Site
IP Logged

Thunderseven79
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Dec 17th, 2011 at 10:24am

I was prescribed the Dihydroergotamine nasal spray myself during my last bout.  Not sure if that's what worked, but the CH's stopped after two weeks with the spray.  Expensive stuff, but I keep it refilled and by my side at all times anyway.  Better safe than sorry.

IP Logged

Imitrex4Breakfast
CH.com Veteran

Kentuckiana
Reply #8 - Dec 27th, 2011 at 7:41pm

First of all...methysergide, DHE45, and Imitrex should NOT be taken together as this may cause a cardiac event.

IV DHE45 infusions ... I've done as much or more than ANYONE on the planet and I currently give myself DHE45 IM injections at home (1mg every 12 hours)

They say this infusion can break a cluster cycle but it never broke it for me. I do benefit from it definately though and don't want to go without it.

A single 1mg dose of DHE45 can give me relief from attacks for as little as 10 hours to as much as 3-4 days ... but taking it every 12 USUALLY PREVENTS cluster attacks for me.

You gotta have a good strong heart to do this and you'll probably never find a doctor willing to prescribe DHE45 for home use as it is considered a hospital only med (the injections)

The pharmacutical co max dosage says no momre than 3mg a day and no more than 6mg per week ... but I do way more than that and have been for a couple of years now.

Good Luck !!

PS. Too much DHE45 can cut off the blood supply to your extremeties so if you're new to it, you should watch for whitening of the fingers, toes, and nose as this could cause serious damage if prolonged. (I've never been hurt by it though).

PS. I'm NOT a doctor and my statements are not to be taken as professional medical advice. I'm just a ChRoNiC cLuStErHeAd that's "...Been there and done that".

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Dec 27th, 2011 at 7:55pm

Quote:
...you'll probably never find a doctor willing to prescribe DHE45 for home use as it is considered a hospital only med (the injections).

Don't let this statement discourage you from asking, though.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Imitrex4Breakfast
CH.com Veteran

Kentuckiana
Reply #10 - Dec 27th, 2011 at 8:02pm

Brew wrote on Dec 27th, 2011 at 7:55pm:
Quote:
...you'll probably never find a doctor willing to prescribe DHE45 for home use as it is considered a hospital only med (the injections).

Don't let this statement discourage you from asking, though.

Good point. Thanks Brew Smiley

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #11 - Dec 27th, 2011 at 8:29pm

Wink

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #12 - Jan 1st, 2012 at 2:00pm

Hello,

You have got to look into Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register I know its seems far reaching, But it has really helped a lot of sufferers of CH.

Sounds like the DRs are going to whip you around like a rag doll, And really the only thing that's probably going to make it go away at this point is itself. Give it a look, at least you can say you have Researched all other options.

Hips then Hands...
Coach Bill..

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #13 - Jan 1st, 2012 at 3:50pm

Quote:
You gotta have a good strong heart to do this and you'll probably never find a doctor willing to prescribe DHE45 for home use as it is considered a hospital only med (the injections)

My Doc had no problem Rxing it for home use

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!