Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Medication (Read 760 times)
Cadz
CH.com Newbie

There's Glitter on the
Floor!

Canberra, Australia
New Medication
Sep 13th, 2011 at 7:28pm

Hey guys,

After 15 years of running around, I have finally been diagnosed with Cluster Headaches. It's been quite a struggle so far. Attacks started when I was 10, and I went through a lot of theories. Need for glasses, light sensitivity, tumours, chronic headaches. I even had a doctor turn around and tell me that "Sometimes, positive thinking goes a long way. You should try it".

I've had Imitrex, which helps, but it is way too expensive. I try to keep it for the times I really think I'm going to die.

My neurologist has just started me on "Isoptin" (cannot remember the dosage off hand). It has actually been helping, but since it's meant to be blood pressure medication, I am feeling faint, dizzy and light-headed all the time. It is much better than having attacks though.

Has anyone else tried this medication before? Any results? I am a bit hesitant of moving up to 3 tablets at day (as requested by the neurologist), especially since the light-headedness is quite pronounced (I have passed out in the shower twice in the past 3 weeks).

Otherwise, they are fairly standard cluster headaches: cycles of usually 8-12 weeks, 3/4 a day, around the same time each time, and rest period that varies (from 3 weeks to a record 16 months when I was 14!) They do migrate from one side to the other every 5 years or so. Random much?!

Thanks guys!

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: New Medication
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2011 at 8:11pm

Isoptin SR, is a controlled-release version of verapamil.  Your physician should have given you an EKG...

See: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2011 at 8:15pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Cadz
CH.com Newbie

There's Glitter on the
Floor!

Canberra, Australia
Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2011 at 8:37pm

Thanks for the heads up... Time to save up some cash to pay him another visit!

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2011 at 10:11pm

Check your PM Inbox and the attachment below from a fair dinkum Integrative physician and fellow countryman of yours a few hours NE of you in Manly (NSW).

Take care mate,

V/R, Batch

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (186 KB | 14 )

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2011 at 2:49am

G'day from over the other side of the ditch

You've come to the right place to learn so much about how to work to limit the impact of CHs on you.

You've a preventive, although as noted you need to make sure it's working right for you. If isotopin (verapamil) isn't right then there are alternatives like lithium and topomax. You'll need to work with your doctors to find what works best for you.

Have you tried oxygen? Read all about it on the link on the left. Using it I average a 6 minute abort to kill off a CH with none of the side effects from imitrex.

Keep reading and asking questions.

And there will be some Aussies along shortly too who can give you more local info.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!