Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Melatonin: time release vs regular? (Read 6097 times)
slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Re: Melatonin: time release vs regular?
Reply #25 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 7:13pm

CDog wrote on Sep 15th, 2011 at 10:02pm:
Two nights now, no help so far. Only about 4 hours of sleep each night.

Are you using the Natrol controlled release yet?

IP Logged

ClosetCHer
CH.com Junior

United States
Reply #26 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 11:43am

I just started using Natrol last night. In the 12 years that I've had CH, I rarely (maybe 2 or 3 times) have night attacks during a cycle. Well since Thursday night, I've been having two night attacks and one when I wake up in the morning. What a mess! O2 eliminated the night beasts within 15 minutes but I started the melatonin last night to see if I can avoid them all together. No luck last night, woke up 2 hours after going to bed with a Kip 9 that I'm still feeling this morning. I took 10 mg of Natrol last night with a 3mg of regular melatonin with it. I'll up that to 16mg tonight and see how it works. From experience I know not to expect 100% results the first night so I'll keep at it.

IP Logged

ClosetCHer
CH.com Junior

United States
Reply #27 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 6:21pm

Went with 16mg of melatonin last night, 10mg of Natrol and 6mg of regular melatonin. No hits! I only woke up with a slight shadow the I shook easily on my morning run. I'll take the same amount tonight with hopes of having the same success. Thanks to those who have posted about melatonin usage, what a lifesaver!

IP Logged

tgdurst
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #28 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 6:36pm

How many hours do you sleep? I get 6.5 on a good night. So I have to be bright eyed and bushy tailed at 4AM. I took 3mg of melatonin and thought I might be over doing it.

IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #29 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 11:02pm

ClosetCHer wrote on Sep 19th, 2011 at 6:21pm:
Went with 16mg of melatonin last night, 10mg of Natrol and 6mg of regular melatonin. No hits! I only woke up with a slight shadow the I shook easily on my morning run. I'll take the same amount tonight with hopes of having the same success. Thanks to those who have posted about melatonin usage, what a lifesaver!

Glad you're having some success.  I've been doing well with 13 mg (10 mg Natrol and 3 mg regular).

IP Logged

ClosetCHer
CH.com Junior

United States
Reply #30 - Sep 22nd, 2011 at 8:06pm

I typically sleep 6-7 hours a night, just the right amount for me to feel great in the morning.

I've noticed a few things since I started taking the melatonin this past Saturday:
1. Night CHs have stopped, but I do wake up with a heavy shadow that sometimes requires O2 or a good run to get rid of.
2. I dream like crazy. I dreamed a lot before, but these dreams are very vivid and I've had them every night.
3. I'm not having any CHs during the day, just a lite shadow or two.

Still can't figure why my CHs switched from day to night over the span of 24 hours, but I was able to combat them with the help of you guys. Thanks!

IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #31 - Sep 22nd, 2011 at 8:34pm

ClosetCHer wrote on Sep 22nd, 2011 at 8:06pm:
I typically sleep 6-7 hours a night, just the right amount for me to feel great in the morning.

I've noticed a few things since I started taking the melatonin this past Saturday:
1. Night CHs have stopped, but I do wake up with a heavy shadow that sometimes requires O2 or a good run to get rid of.
2. I dream like crazy. I dreamed a lot before, but these dreams are very vivid and I've had them every night.
3. I'm not having any CHs during the day, just a lite shadow or two.

Still can't figure why my CHs switched from day to night over the span of 24 hours, but I was able to combat them with the help of you guys. Thanks!

Great to hear!

I typically have vivid dreams while I'm in cycle even without Melatonin. 

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #32 - Sep 30th, 2011 at 12:03pm

I've been using melatonin for a long time.  It has helped me much more than not.  I've become used to the vivid dreams at this point, they're normal.  I still use 3 mgs nightly as a sleep aid even when not in cycle.  It's one of the least "dangerous" options for us.  Strong coffee oftentimes kills the morning shadow.  I also use time-released with normal melatonin when in cycle, using 9-15mgs at about a 50/50 ratio. 
Glad to see others are finding relief with it.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!