Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reliability of new drug claims? (Read 1001 times)
George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reliability of new drug claims?
Sep 8th, 2011 at 1:10pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I wouldn't give this as much credence if it hadn't come from the journal, "Nature". 

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Re: Reliability of new drug claims?
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 1:51pm

Reminds me of how they used to say that Methadone was a non addictive opiate...Actually, they said that about heroin, tramadol, and oxycontin when they came out too... Smiley

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Reliability of new drug claims?
Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 4:33pm

CONSUMER REPORTS suggests not buying a new model car during the first year. Until the consumer has been racking up miles the full range of strengths/weaknesses/production problems won't be known.

Same is true with new meds. Even with a pure heart, a manufacturer's clinical trails leading up to licensing are rather limited in terms of # of users, interaction with other meds and disorders, etc.

So, if it's not some really magic bullet you need, waiting a couple of years, at least, will give time for more data to accumulate about effectiveness, side effects, interactions, etc.

Anyway, some understanding of the process of licensing meds is more useful and less painful compared to reflexive paranoia <bg>.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!