Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Taurine Supplements (Read 8561 times)
ClusterSufferer
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Taurine Supplements
Aug 24th, 2011 at 8:15pm

It gets expensive having to buy redbull all the time.  I see online that they do manufacture taurine supplements. Has anyone tried taking a taurine pill instead of downing a can of redbull? I've found that they sell them at GNC, but I can't find them at wal-mart online. I'd like to find a local store to go pick up some. I don't think CVS carries them either, at least its not coming up in an online search.

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Re: Taurine Supplements
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2011 at 9:13pm

First CS...welcome aboard...sorry you're here..it's a club no one wants to have to be in...but once you're here...you are family. Grab an oar and row...aint no passengers...we're all crew on this clusterboat  Smiley

I've never sought taurine supplements....the energy drinks work for me.....taurine (at least 1000 mg)+caffeine (at least 100 mg...I prefer 200+) + maybe some other beneficials (dunno). My belief that the COLDEST possible (anesthetic effect?)...chugged rapidly...work the best. And possibly carbonation decreases absorption time....

Don't focus on "redbull"...it's just the first and most advertised...don't pay for advertising...there are dozens of alternates....WAY cheaper. I haunt the outlet stores, dollar stores, and grocery store sales. SAME ingredients.....40-80% cheaper....

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus

Karratha|,West_Australia
Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2011 at 11:07pm

HI CS
Welcome aboard.
Taurine by itself wont kill a hit & from my experience it wont even take the edge off one, your best staying with the energy drinks.

Cheers
Barry

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Of all the things i've lost in life the thing i miss most is my mind.
WWW http://mushys.com/kiwi  
IP Logged

Pfunk
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Summerville,South_Carolina
Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 12:49am

Yessir. I wor for Walmart and we sell an energy drink called SLAP. It might not work quite as good as some of the others but its68cents a can  or get a 12 pack for less than a 4 pack of thsoe other drinks.

Pfunk Cool

http:facebook.com/ptcimino  
IP Logged

ClusterSufferer
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 5:47am

Thanks for the quick replies. I know at GNC you can get 50 x 500mg tablets for $5.99. A 12oz can of redbull helps alleviate a cluster within 5 to 10 minutes, sometimes almost immediately. The 8.4oz cans don't, (for me). Caffeine in itself doesn't work, I haven't tried just the B vitamins or taurine on its own. I do know a 12oz can of redbull has 1000mg of taurine. I would like to experiment around with taking the ingredients on their own and see if there are any beneficial results, even if I have to take it in a powder form or dissolve it into a glass of water for a quicker absorption. After all is said and done perhaps its the combination of everything together that does the job.

IP Logged

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus

Karratha|,West_Australia
Reply #5 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 7:27am

Hi CS
Take a look at this link, it will take you to the old board where i posted my Taurine trial back in about 2006.
It's worth a read to satisfy your own curiosity but the end product was, no it didn't work as well as I Thought it may.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Cheers
Barry

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #6 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 7:42am

Just a word of caution...I use Monster prior to hitting O2, but I try to limit my intake to one (no more than two) because of the interaction between taurine and verapamil. The pills probably won't work as a prevent and are too slow for an abortive. Just guessing but the chugging of the drink probably has an immediate effect on the O2. I'd be aware that taurine may interact badly with other meds if taken daily. Let us know what you discover. Blessings. lance

IP Logged

ClusterSufferer
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Aug 26th, 2011 at 8:06pm

Thanks for the link Barry. I'll have to read through your blog then. From the forum post It sounds that you found favorable results using the taurine along with the magnesium. I have been hit today with 2 x 9-10 kip clusters, both while trying to sleep. Been shadowing all week. The first hit today, I did take 1000mg taurine in powder form. I will say it was unsuccessful, it took at least a half an hour to subside. My normal without anything is 45 minutes to an hour. Redbull usually kicks it within 5 to 10 minutes. I would still like to try it by mixing the B vitamin supplements found in redbull with the taurine and perhaps a caffeine pill in the mix.

I'm curious about the magnesium supplement. I'm pretty sure I lack the daily requirement for that after having multiple calcium oxalate kidney stones in my life reading that magnesium helps with this also. I think when I get a chance to get to a store I'll try to find the B vitamin supplements in redbull to add to the mix and see how that goes.

Wanted to add this. I did take 500mg of taurine last night while shadowing ... after, I felt a little light headed at times and an occasional slight dizziness. Has anyone experienced this on taurine supplements? Might have been a coincidence.
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2011 at 8:18pm by ClusterSufferer »  

IP Logged

ClusterSufferer
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Aug 26th, 2011 at 8:21pm

I clicked on your blog link Barry, it only took me to a yahoo pulse page.

IP Logged

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus

Karratha|,West_Australia
Reply #9 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 12:20am

Hi CS
I clicked on the blog link & got the same, but that doesnt supprise me as I havnt used it since the trial.

Now that I have re-read your original post I see that what you were after is a cheaper alternative to the energy drinks "my Bad"; I think its worth you giving it a try as a mix & see what happens.

As for the magnesium I would have a good read through Batch's thread on 123 Days pain free, that is just about identical to the regime I have been using for the last few years.

Cheers
Barry
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2011 at 12:21am by Barry_T_Coles »  

IP Logged

buhrly1
CH.com Newbie

I Love Rockstars and CH.com!

Hawaii
Reply #10 - Sep 8th, 2011 at 10:33pm

I have put together the caffeine and taurine pills and used them during the day. More as a preventative with good success. Less sugar and cost by far. Magnesium is great i have noticed that some episodes have been avoided with its use.
Good luck
Buhrly

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #11 - Sep 9th, 2011 at 9:04am

Buhrly, if magnesium has helped you, go to the med section and read the link "123 pain freee days and i think I know why." It's a vitamin/mineral/anti inflammatory regimen that's providing relief for many. All OTC stuff, cheap, worth a shot.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!