Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
pred taper /verapamil/blessing and curse :( (Read 1741 times)
anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
pred taper /verapamil/blessing and curse :(
Jul 31st, 2011 at 10:15am

Im almost at the end of my 10 day pred taper 2 more days of 10 mg then done. The pred taper and verap is a blessing and a CURSE for me at least. The pred makes me whacky crazy anxious outta sorts and the verap makes me tired weak ect so I feel all over the place! I am up to 240 verap to date on it for 10 days. Does it take awhile to get used to the side effects for most? Just a bit confused since I have only done verap once before a year and a half ago and was up to 720 a day but dont remeber the affect when starting and if it calms down?
thanks for any input
Anthony Undecided Undecided

IP Logged

RichardN
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1|Crossville|USA,Tn
Re: pred taper /verapamil/blessing and curse :(
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2011 at 9:37pm

Hi Anthony

I had my first PF day in over a year after coming here and finding out about 02 & Verapamil . . . when I got to 240 mg (had three attacks that night, but had the 02 to kill them).  Your dose is the minimum effective dose .  .  . I got as high as 480 mg, then back to 360 maintenance dose.  You, and many others use much higher doses and often in combination with other meds such as Lithium.

The only side effects I had was some constipation (common with many), but that was easily countered with diet change or stool softeners.  That, and the Verapamil "buzz" about 20-40 min after taking.  Might have had some lethargy, but really don't recall it being a problem . . . I was just so thrilled to finally reduce the frequency/intensity of the attacks to a level I could easily kill with the 02 in most cases.  Have been off the Verap since 5/04 . . . now use water therapy (see "water X 3" . . . link on left) . . . which IS NOT EASY to do.

Remember that Verapamil is a blood pressure med and you need to have your doc monitor same as you increase the dosage to an effective level . . . could your BP be part of your unwanted reaction to the Verapamil?  DO check with your doc on this . . . you might need to change to a different preventative.

Be Safe,   PFDANs

Richard

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
lastchantsranch  
IP Logged

Stymie
CH.com Junior

The Beast is Back...

Hoi An, Vietnam
Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2011 at 4:27am

I get quite tired from the verapamil (and how ironic that any napping will trigger an attack!). This episode I've tried using coenzyme Q10 daily and it seems to help a bit.  I find that when I exercise frequently and drink lots of water, this helps too.

I'm not really bald....its from all the noggin rubbing.
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2011 at 10:00pm

Somethings with Verap, are NO Grapefuit products, and caution with energy drinks.

Prednisone has always left a bad feeling with me for many days after. With strange aches & pains in my knees and ankles. I've been taking Verap for 20 yrs and I guess I got used to whatever side effects.
Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2011 at 8:54am

Yeah, I'm right there with you, Don. I have been taking verapamil for over 30 years, and I can project the day when I'll need to switch off...I'm up to 640mg/day as my effective dose. Side effects aside I'll take them over the hourly attacks I was getting. Blessings. lance

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!