Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Imitrex Math (Read 1553 times)
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus

Imitrex Math
Jul 24th, 2011 at 9:20am

Back in cycle... not having much luck this time with the methods I used to stay out of cycle for the last 5+ years.

Looking into my war chest.  Lots of Imitrex ampules, way out of date but still effective.  About the only thing I have that is recent are those Suminat nasal sprays from India (10x 20mg doses per 1ml bottle for $40).

I see not much has changed with regard to getting Imitrex injectables.  Stupid-high co-pay.  Stupid-low limits on how many you can get a month. 

Then I look at this Suminat.  One package is 10 doses of 20mg.  200mg of Sumatriptan for $40 bucks.
The ingredients are about identical to the Imitrex ampules, just at different concentrations.  Sumatriptan succinate, chloride solution, aqueous buffer.

Imitrex Injectable Ampule ==  6mg of Sumatriptan.
Suminat Nasal == 200mg of Sumatritan == $40ish.

To make a long story short, I cranked open a 40% full bottle of Suminat (80mg of Sumatriptan remaining... .4ML) and watered it down to the same concentration of the injectable ampule.

If this works, it maps out to one Suminat Nasal for $40 will be the equivalent of 33 ampules of Imitrex.   

Will post the results.  First two doses (I take half a vial normally) were entirely effective. 

Just posting this out there for general edification.  Don't try this at home.  Being bad with math can kill you. 

Rock beats Scissors.

IP Logged

Imitrex4Breakfast
CH.com Veteran

Kentuckiana
Re: Imitrex Math
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2011 at 3:22pm

Wow! I've used ALOT of IMitrex in my day (every since they first came out) and I would be too scared to do that. Sounds like playing with fire to me ...so I just wanted to say Be careful and goodluck if you are trying that.

I once ALMOST tried an Imtrex injection 6mg via IV at the hospital. The nurse prepared it wrong and was about to put it in my IV when I YELLED at her to STOP !! Geez ... that would've probably sucked !!  Shocked

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2011 at 5:35pm

Quote:
Geez ... that would've probably sucked !!

Probably not for long.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2011 at 6:33am

Since an imitrex inject is 6mg, a nasal spray 20mg and tablet 100mg, there must be some absorbtion issues by the various routes.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Lobster
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2011 at 8:49am

Exactly Bob.  Injection is clearly more efficient than nasal, which is more efficient than tablet. 

Seeing that Nasal and Ampule are essentially the same formulation at differing concentrations sparked my curiosity.

Really just going down this path as a bit of research for those of us who simply cannot get enough meds for their CH.  30 full 6mg injections from $40 worth of product would be of benefit to someone.

That said, it involves a degree of home compounding which involves the obvious risk.  So would I tell everyone to run out and try this?  Nope.   

Rock beats Scissors.

IP Logged

Lobster
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2011 at 9:01am

An update on this.  It is working, plain and simple.  The 2-4 aborts per day I am doing are identical to the regular Imitrex vials. 

At the ratio I am using, which results in the same Sumatriptan dosage as the vials, I am getting 33 vials of injectable from one $40 bottle of Suminat. 

I can give the exact ratio of Suminat Nasal to distilled water I am using at some point if anyone wants to give it a shot.

I am mixing up only small batches at present to reduce risk of contamination resulting from long term storage.  I have not messed with trying to add the sodium chloride preservative.

Note the vial ingredients are the drug and saltwater.  Not much to it. 

For the next batch I plan to replace the distilled water with saline.
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2011 at 9:07am by Lobster »  

Rock beats Scissors.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!