Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Treatment through Virtual Reality? (Read 9704 times)
AubanBird
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

everywhere...
Re: Treatment through Virtual Reality?
Reply #25 - Jul 26th, 2011 at 11:55pm

i have sat in a doctors office while a surgeon cut a golf ball sized hole in my right cheek, didnt even flinch.  had an open wound with a severed tendon cleaned and scrubbed with alcohol without anesthetic or painkillers.  didnt flinch.  kip 6 and i start to dance.  kip 7 is a salsa.  kip 8 has me on the ground banging my head.  i still have a scar beside my eye where i tried to drill a pocket knife through my temple during a kip 9.  i later passed out as it progressed to a ten.  what is hard to explain to people is that the kip scale is a measure of what it will make you do, unlike the scale with the we have all seen at the doctors office, with the faces that rates how uncomfortable you are.  what is odd is that i have been able to ignore almost all types of pain, but i cant do that with CH.  the beast really does have a captive audience.

IP Logged

Lobster
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #26 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 5:18am

At low levels I find that live action gaming on the PC (shooters and the like) works to distract me from the pain. As I said... at low levels.

This only works at 3 or lower.  Examples would be early or late in the cycle or when on meds to control the intensity. 

4 or above?  Concentration is gone.

Rock beats Scissors.

IP Logged

twinbee
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #27 - Jul 29th, 2011 at 11:25am

Regarding those people who have 8 - 10 KIP CHs, it would seem as though any other kind of pain is paled into almost insignificance, even when that other pain wasn't received during a CH.

It's almost as if the pain receptors have rewired themselves almost exclusively to accept only signals from a CH. Does this sound accurate? In other words, a high KIP CH makes someone not just able to cope better with other types of pain, but actually literally reduces their intensity *physically* on a pain receptor level. For example, Mike said he didn't even feel that 2nd degree burn (and presumably he wasn't having a CH at that time).

For those lucky people who have been 'permanently' (say 2-5 years+) cured from CHs; have they generally found that they don't feel pain generally from other things as much as they did before they had their first CH KIP 8+? And is this because they can cope better with the pain, or is the physical intensity literally lower?
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2011 at 11:31am by twinbee »  

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #28 - Jul 29th, 2011 at 12:13pm

twinbee wrote on Jul 29th, 2011 at 11:25am:
Regarding those people who have 8 - 10 KIP CHs, it would seem as though any other kind of pain is paled into almost insignificance, even when that other pain wasn't received during a CH.

It's almost as if the pain receptors have rewired themselves almost exclusively to accept only signals from a CH. Does this sound accurate? In other words, a high KIP CH makes someone not just able to cope better with other types of pain, but actually literally reduces their intensity *physically* on a pain receptor level. For example, Mike said he didn't even feel that 2nd degree burn (and presumably he wasn't having a CH at that time).

For those lucky people who have been 'permanently' (say 2-5 years+) cured from CHs; have they generally found that they don't feel pain generally from other things as much as they did before they had their first CH KIP 8+? And is this because they can cope better with the pain, or is the physical intensity literally lower?

Why keep this up?  K-10 hurts more.

Potter

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #29 - Aug 6th, 2011 at 7:40am

Quote:
what is this concept of treatment through virtual reality in little detail.

This would be something close.

Lobster wrote on Jul 27th, 2011 at 5:18am:
At low levels I find that live action gaming on the PC (shooters and the like) works to distract me from the pain. As I said... at low levels.

This only works at 3 or lower.  Examples would be early or late in the cycle or when on meds to control the intensity. 

4 or above?  Concentration is gone. 

IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #30 - Aug 8th, 2011 at 10:59am

The only comparison of pain that I've ever thought was even close was the "ice cream headache".  I read of an awesome Doctor teaching med students about clusters.  He had them all eat ice cream till they got it, then said, "now imagine this goes on for hours"  When I try and explain my pain that's usually the example I give.

IP Logged

NotH20
CH.com Hall of Famer

x0|Atlanta||usa|421|220|GA,Georgia
Reply #31 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 8:52am

Amen Gardengal.....I totally agree.

The only way I would wear headphones would be if they came with a vice grip during the attack   Wink

Mia

NotH20  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!