Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Treatment through Virtual Reality? (Read 9694 times)
twinbee
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Treatment through Virtual Reality?
Jul 17th, 2011 at 6:03pm

Hi all,
I don't suffer from CH, nor do I know anyone who does, but reading up on the subject is enough for me to really appreciate how common and terrible the condition is. My sympathies to anyone with CH - you guys must keep very strong.

Anyone my reason for posting is because I saw a TV programme on pain a while back, and one guy had 1st degree burns and was on the road to recovery. During treatment, they had him play a simple "virtual reality" game (with full 3D goggles etc.), and it drastically lessened the pain he was experiencing. I was wondering if a similar albeit less expensive version could help with CH. Obviously the idea is to divert attention away from the pain as much as possible, and VR apparently is a good way of doing that.

Not sure what others think! It's not the full experience, but perhaps a large screen, decent stereo headphones and 3D glasses could help?
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2011 at 6:17pm by twinbee »  

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: Treatment through Virtual Reality?
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2011 at 7:28pm

Great that you'd think of us this way and offer to help, Twinbee, but personally I can think of little more abhorrent than headphones and 3D while I'm wrestling a monster.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2011 at 7:49pm

My first reaction was: with our best abortives, it's possible to kill an attack rather quickly whereas, with burns, the pain is an issue of hours/days. In such a situation, the approach you mention sounds useful.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

twinbee
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2011 at 8:55pm

Thanks both.

Just to add that the VR for the burn victim was not meant for long-term relief, but only for the duration of the treatment (which may last an hour say, but was performed once a week or month).

In that same programme, someone who was trapped had to cut his own arm off to free himself from an impending fire or something. He barely felt a thing apparently either because of adrenalin or because his mind was focused on getting out. I'm guessing either way, attention diversion was surely a big part of his lack of pain sensation.
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2011 at 10:20pm by twinbee »  

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2011 at 10:39pm

No. 

Just.....no.

Best wishes,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #5 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 1:21am

There's certainly something to attention diversion for lessening pain suffering.

The way I think about it is basically "if you're not thinking of the pain (when your awareness is devoted to something else), you're not particularly suffering".

Back in the earlier days when I had some less intense attacks I found that focusing on some very engaging task could be useful for getting me through a Kip 7 or so.

I believe a main challenge with virtual reality or other diversions and CH, is that the pain tends to be centered right behind an eyeball, which to me at least is the zone right about where thoughts feel like they originate from, so it's particularly tough to branch awareness away from the pain, especially at Kip 8, 9, 10 levels.

« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2011 at 1:22am by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

Stymie
CH.com Junior

The Beast is Back...

Hoi An, Vietnam
Reply #6 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 7:39am

Hi.   Your post brought to mind those Buddhist monks setting themselves ablaze and not even flinching in pain.  But those guys had probably 20+ years of mind training every day.  I've been practicing mindfulness meditation for years, but can tell you that for anything greater than a minor attack it is counterproductive to use mindfulness (i.e. making the physical sensation the object of meditation) or any form of meditation for CH attacks.  Instead I focus on being mindful of my emotions or feelings during an attack, noticing these, and this helps in not getting "caught up"  in the pain and helps avoid unhelpful thoughts like "I cant take it", "when will this end" etc.  But this isnt really a distraction, its more about being present and accepting. 

I'm sure like many others, rather than a distraction per se, I end up going through a routine (on the few occasions when I cant abort with O2)...pacing, humming to myself, heat the compress, apply the compress, remind myself it will end, and then repeat.  I think a lot of CHers also use pain diversions i.e. create a painful feeling somewhere (bang your head, prick your hand with a needle, etc.) and that gives a (very momentary) relief to the pain of the attack (since we apparently cant feel excruciating pain in 2 places at once?).  I use to do this (I would dip my hand in hot water, almost scalding myself...ah...the good ol' days).  But I dont think this is the kind of "distraction" you are thinking of.  To be honest, with a bad attack, I cant imagine that anyone can really concentrate or stay focused enough on any one thing, virtual reality or whatever, long enough to have a positive effect.  I think it would be really really hard.  For me there is nothing I can do other than my routine (and I've tried lots of things..).   

So for me, the best distraction is the process of sucking back some O2 :>) 

Cheers

I'm not really bald....its from all the noggin rubbing.
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #7 - Jul 19th, 2011 at 8:40am

Stymie, like you I am only successful with low level attacks. But when I use O2 (pretty much daily) I sit still, and focus on breathing techniques with eyes closed, and it helps me get through the first few minutes better than if I had been watching the clock anxiously, ticking off the seconds, waiting for the O2 to take effect.

A therapist friend of mine tried using a light/sound combo on me a couple of years ago. Excruciating is the only thing I can say. VR? Forgeddaboutit. Blessings. lance

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #8 - Jul 19th, 2011 at 10:27am

twinbee wrote on Jul 17th, 2011 at 6:03pm:
Hi all,
I don't suffer from CH, nor do I know anyone who does, but reading up on the subject is enough for me to really appreciate how common and terrible the condition is. My sympathies to anyone with CH - you guys must keep very strong.

Anyone my reason for posting is because I saw a TV programme on pain a while back, and one guy had 1st degree burns and was on the road to recovery. During treatment, they had him play a simple "virtual reality" game (with full 3D goggles etc.), and it drastically lessened the pain he was experiencing. I was wondering if a similar albeit less expensive version could help with CH. Obviously the idea is to divert attention away from the pain as much as possible, and VR apparently is a good way of doing that.

Not sure what others think! It's not the full experience, but perhaps a large screen, decent stereo headphones and 3D glasses could help?

You need a hobby.

Potter

IP Logged

twinbee
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Jul 19th, 2011 at 12:29pm

Quote:
Your post brought to mind those Buddhist monks setting themselves ablaze and not even flinching in pain.

Yes I think it crossed my mind too. It'd be great if there were a shortcut, maybe using science (and electrical implants if need be), to train the brain achieve what those Buddhist monks can do. More scientists should be trying to cure the general case of pain I think.

wimsey1, interesting that you've tried using audio/visual stimuli with more than negative results. It's not quite the same as true VR, but yeah, it does count as evidence to suggest VR wouldn't work I guess.

Anyway, I sometimes wish I could experience CH so that I can try to help 'solve' it, but then maybe that's naive and a KIP 8 or higher would soon have me backing off from that idea (and obviously what helps one person doesn't always help another). The worst pain I've felt recently was a 'charlie horse' cramp in the leg. In terms of intensity (not duration), I'm guessing that's about a 6-7 on the KIP scale. I can only dread what higher levels would feel like.

Quote:
You need a hobby.

Don't we all?  Tongue
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2011 at 12:38pm by twinbee »  

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #10 - Jul 19th, 2011 at 2:07pm

I know your intentions are good, and I thank you for that.  Ideas and approaches from outside the community are always welcome.  Who knows where the next effective treatment will come from?   

In all seriousness, though, you really wouldn't want to go through an attack.  Not even once.  There's nothing in the experience of most people that I can even compare it to. 

I've tried, off and on, over the years to explain what a cluster headache attack is like to people who've never experienced one.  It's futile.  We have no common ground.  Nevertheless... 

When you see descriptions comparing it to a white-hot nail being driven into your temple for an hour or so, these are not exaggerations.  Your eye turns red and drips, your nose runs, and you sweat.  You can't sit still.  You can't lie down.  You'll do anything--anything at all--to escape the burning point of the pain.  Anything that distracts you from getting through the next minute...and the next...and the next is a nightmare, and can't be tolerated.  It just can't.

An attack changes you.  Your reactions to things are not normal.  You're like an animal in a trap, struggling with panic.  After going through a few thousand attacks, however, you can learn to suppress some of your most extreme reactions, and stop screaming and hitting your head against things.

Like many people here, I can't stand to have people look at me, touch me, or even be around during an attack.  If I could tear into the earth and pull it over me, I would.  It's only with the most strenuous, exhausting effort that I can endure the thing one more time and get through to the other side.

Yet some of us here go through this thing several times a day for weeks--or a lifetime.  Imagine that.

Clamping a thing to my head, listening to loud sounds, and watching some sort of action unfurl in front of me during an attack would be the most horrifying thing I can imagine doing to myself during a hit. 

Not possible.  That's all I'm saying.

All the best,

George 

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #11 - Jul 19th, 2011 at 2:47pm

I totally agree with George.

And that is one of the best written descriptions of what it feels like to have a CH that I've seen and yet it's only words, the experience itself is something almost impossible to describe.

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #12 - Jul 19th, 2011 at 4:48pm

AussieBrian wrote on Jul 17th, 2011 at 7:28pm:
Great that you'd think of us this way and offer to help, Twinbee, but personally I can think of little more abhorrent than headphones and 3D while I'm wrestling a monster.

DITTO

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #13 - Jul 20th, 2011 at 8:17am

Joe, that was amazing. And better than I would have written. Comparing a KIP 8 to a leg cramp is like comparing removal of a splinter with limb amputation minus anaesthesia. Blessings. lance

IP Logged

twinbee
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #14 - Jul 20th, 2011 at 2:50pm

Hi George,
Yes, I had some kind of idea how bad it can get from reading say, even the home page earlier. And as you guys say, leg cramp is a walk in the park compared to a KIP 8, and how terrible that must mean a KIP 9 must be (10 - shudder). I'm guessing each level up is an order of magnitude worse, and similar to the Richter scale for earthquakes.
Slightly off topic, one way to compare the levels may be to say 10 mins of KIP 5 is as bad as 1 min of KIP 6. And 10 minutes of KIP 6 = as bad as one minute of KIP 7. etc. etc. I'm not sure if those figures are accurate, but it may make it easier to relate between the different levels (for whatever that's worth).

I must add that in my first post, I said "first degree burns". I actually meant *third* degree burns, which are of course much more serious, and I know the guy who had the VR treatment was in agony without it, hence me thinking there was a small chance it could help for CH. But obviously, from what you guys have said, it probably won't work for CH, and as wimsey1 said, maybe that's because it's in/near the area where the mind thinks from, so VR won't help.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2011 at 2:53pm by twinbee »  

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #15 - Jul 21st, 2011 at 5:34am

You can't compare x minutes of kip y to q minutes of kip y. At high kip levels all you care about is getting the pain over, getting your oxygen (or imitrex or similar) and getting it over. Nothing else really matters. Extreme pain has a way of concentrating the mind.

I've not had third degree burns, but a few weeks ago I burnt a finger whilst cooking, hardly noticing it. The next morning I noticed a pretty large blister, which is a second degree burn. Others have said that child birth is milder, similar with broken femurs and slipped spinal discs.

I can say that nothing I've ever experienced compares in pain levels.

The kip scale itself is wonderful in that it describes the impact, not the absolute pain level. It's something that people with CH can understand and probably very few others will.

A kip 10 is more than just a shudder.

IP Logged

Stymie
CH.com Junior

The Beast is Back...

Hoi An, Vietnam
Reply #16 - Jul 21st, 2011 at 5:38am

wimsey1 wrote on Jul 19th, 2011 at 8:40am:
Stymie, like you I am only successful with low level attacks. But when I use O2 (pretty much daily) I sit still, and focus on breathing techniques with eyes closed, and it helps me get through the first few minutes better than if I had been watching the clock anxiously, ticking off the seconds, waiting for the O2 to take effect.

A therapist friend of mine tried using a light/sound combo on me a couple of years ago. Excruciating is the only thing I can say. VR? Forgeddaboutit. Blessings. lance

Great point Lance.  In saying mindfulness/sitting is counterproductive during attacks I was thinking more about controlling the attack itself.  But quite right...I've also found that the high-flow breathing is a perfect opportunity to get present with breathing, and as you say it beats watching the clock, which is in a sense what I mean by not getting "caught up" in the attack, so for me it is where mindfulness has helped to some extent. I also think for any clusterheads interested in mindfulness, the O2 time offers a good opportunity to practice.   Overall I also find more pronounced benefits of mindfulness during the periods in between attacks.  In the old days I use to be constantly worried about what is looming next etc. rather than just living my life during these periods.  Often I even completely forget about the CH.   When I dont have strong shadows I can even sneak in a 30 minute sitting w/out the relaxation that often accompanies it triggering an attack.

Ya I once looked into and tried "binaural beats" on the headphones during hits.  Useless!  I had the same pain, plus this annoying ring in my ears

Regards
Stymie

IP Logged

Stymie
CH.com Junior

The Beast is Back...

Hoi An, Vietnam
Reply #17 - Jul 21st, 2011 at 5:50am

George wrote on Jul 19th, 2011 at 2:07pm:

I've tried, off and on, over the years to explain what a cluster headache attack is like to people who've never experienced one.  It's futile.  We have no common ground. 

Exactly.  The other day I was compelled to try to explain it to somebody from work.  She was of course comparing to migraines, asking me if has something to do with my cigarette smoking etc. etc. , the usual well-meaning but sorta annoying stuff.  This episode I told my wife's Vietnamese family that its simply a matter of me having "brain damage" from being clonked on the head with a baseball bat 25 years ago...this at least left the impression that its out of the league of home remedies and other similar advice Smiley 

So I think "I dont mean this the wrong way, I appreciate your concern, but we "have no common ground""... will be my new catchphrase.  Thanks George

IP Logged

Stymie
CH.com Junior

The Beast is Back...

Hoi An, Vietnam
Reply #18 - Jul 21st, 2011 at 6:19am

Stymie wrote on Jul 21st, 2011 at 5:50am:
George wrote on Jul 19th, 2011 at 2:07pm:

I've tried, off and on, over the years to explain what a cluster headache attack is like to people who've never experienced one.  It's futile.  We have no common ground. 

Exactly.  The other day I was compelled to try to explain it to somebody from work.  She was of course comparing to migraines, asking me if has something to do with my cigarette smoking etc. etc. , the usual well-meaning but sorta annoying stuff.  This episode I told my wife's Vietnamese family that its simply a matter of me having "brain damage" from being clonked on the head with a baseball bat 25 years ago...this at least left the impression that its out of the league of home remedies and other similar advice Smiley 

So I think "I dont mean this the wrong way, I appreciate your concern, but we "have no common ground""... will be my new catchphrase.  Thanks George

Just as a postscript, in 22 years of this I've yet to meet in person another clusterhead i.e. someone who would understand what an attack is like (though of course do not run around talking about it, so...).   But last week, at a friend's going away party held at a local expat pub here, an acquaintance of mine was pressing me on why I wasnt having any beer.  Finally, I said "I get headaches from beer".  He asked "what kind" and I said "clusters" (and thinking of course, here we go again with trying to explain it...).  He said "oh...sh&#".  Turns out he had recently read a Newsweek article about them, and knew quite a bit, saying words like "hypothalamus" and phrases like "you dont really get them from any one thing do you?" that were refreshing music to my ears.   He then said "I guess you dont like talking about them" but I told him, in this case at least, I dont mind at all.  So I bought him a beer and we spent a while talking about CH, oxygen, mushrooms and whatnot Smiley   

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #19 - Jul 21st, 2011 at 11:51am

Mike NZ wrote on Jul 21st, 2011 at 5:34am:
You can't compare x minutes of kip y to q minutes of kip y. At high kip levels all you care about is getting the pain over, getting your oxygen (or imitrex or similar) and getting it over. Nothing else really matters. Extreme pain has a way of concentrating the mind.

I can say that nothing I've ever experienced compares in pain levels.

A kip 10 is more than just a shudder.

Exactly.

During my last cycle, I was thrashing around during an "8" in an unfamiliar space.  (Out in the boonies with no oxygen.  My fault--but I went all the way through the thing hardcore.)  At one point, I bumped into something and broke a toe.  Didn't even feel it.  I only noticed afterward that one of my northbound toes was pointing west.

Stuff like that isn't all that uncommon around here.  But a "10" is a different animal altogether.  Several years ago, one of our members injured himself whilst trying to claw out his own eye with his fingers when he was in the clutches of a "10".

The "kip" scale doesn't really relate to what one would think of as the usual pain scale.  Think of it as a separate measure that makes sense only to those who understand--viscerally--what it refers to.

Again...  I appreciate the concern and the good intentions from those on the other side of the wall.  I don't want anyone from outside to think that we're trying to be in some sort of exclusive pain club, nor do I intend to minimize anyone else's experience with pain.  But CH is a foreign country that you'll never visit.  I can show you pictures and describe what it looks like, but that's about it.  You'll only ever see it through a glass--darkly.  That's just the way of it.

Best wishes,

George
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2011 at 12:49pm by George » 
Reason: clarification 

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #20 - Jul 21st, 2011 at 12:31pm

What an appropriate place to post the text of our now famous Colleague Letter:

A note for those who know a C.H. sufferer:

Why should I read this?

Someone you know has probably given you this note to explain a little about a condition they suffer from called Cluster Headache Syndrome. It is likely that before you met them, you had never heard of this condition, which, after all, affects less than 1% of the population.

Because it is so rare, sufferers often feel isolated, especially through misunderstanding by those who do not fully appreciate its effects. This short explanation is intended to help with that.

What is it?

The term “headache” is very misleading. Your friend or coworker is not experiencing the typical symptoms of familiar primary headaches, such as Migraine and Tension. Cluster Headache (CH) has a prevalence of approximately 69 cases per 100,000 people, although it may be much higher. The cause and cure of Cluster Headache Syndrome are unknown. Cluster Headache sufferers fall into two categories: Episodic and Chronic. Episodic sufferers experience headaches in clusters for a period of typically six weeks to six months and will go into periods of remissions typically lasting from six months to 3 years. Chronic sufferers experience no periods of remission lasting longer than two weeks in the period of one year.

A CH attack is unilateral (one sided). Pain may begin around one eye, “Like a nail or knife stabbing and piercing” the eye, or as if someone “were pulling out” your eye. It may be accompanied by a tearing or bloodshot eye, drooping eyelid, dilated pupil and nasal congestion or runny nose on the side of the attack. It can radiate from the eye to the forehead, temple, ear, cheek, jaw and neck on the same side. The pain of a CH has been described as piercing or boring and so excruciating that most victims cannot sit still and feel compelled to rock in a chair, walk back and forth, or bang their heads against something. The pain is so extreme that Dr. Peter Goadsby, Professor of Clinical Neurology at University College, London, and the worlds leading researcher on CH has commented, “Cluster headache is probably the worst pain that humans experience. I know that’s quite a strong remark to make, but if you ask a cluster headache patient if they’ve had a worse experience, they’ll universally say they haven’t. Women with cluster headache will tell you that an attack is worse than giving birth. So you can imagine that these people give birth without anesthetic once or twice a day, for six, eight or ten weeks at a time, and then have a break. It’s just awful.” Most CH victims experience these attacks 2 to 10 times daily. The pain quickly escalates from no pain to unbearable pain within five minutes. The pain subsides in the same manner. Attacks can last anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours or more.

Those bald facts, though, do not do justice to the pain experienced. A more sinister name for a CH is “suicide headache” - for obvious reasons. More than half of all sufferers have considered this.

A curiosity of Cluster Headache Syndrome is that both the individual attacks and the clusters themselves can have an almost metronomic regularity - attacks starting at a precise time of day are typical.

It is a headache, in that the pain is in the head, but that is really where the similarity ends. The name itself leads to confusion, as people immediately think of it as something that can be cured by taking a pill, or by thinking of it as a migraine.

CH sufferers experience some of the most intense pain known to the medical field. There are many medications available to help CH patients manage their condition. Medications fall into three categories: Preventive (medications which are used to abort the cycle, such as steroids, Verapamil, Lithium, etc.) Transient (medications used to help while the preventatives take effect, such as Prednisone and other steroids), and Abortive (medications which are used to abort the headache, such as Imitrex, oxygen, etc.) Narcotic medications are not recommended as effective management for cluster headaches.

How is your friend affected?

This will vary enormously, and, surprisingly, you will almost certainly never witness a full-blown attack. Seeing someone in that state can be quite terrifying. Sufferers are reluctant to allow anyone else to see them at that point, for three main reasons: first, with family and friends, it is simply to avoid them having to see something which, as they are powerless to help, is very upsetting; second, no-one is keen to be seen in a state where they will scream, cry, pace, hit their head repeatedly and generally be uncontrollable - dignity does matter; and three, coping with the attack is wearing in the extreme, and having to cope with other people around is just not possible for most.

In addition the cumulative effects of repeated attacks, and the medications used, can lead to tiredness, irritability, and an occasional loss of temper (particularly when it is suggested that things can’t possibly be that bad). Depression is quite
common. Some individuals lose their jobs, and even partners and homes, as a result of CH. That said, because having to cope is part of the nature of the condition, most sufferers will “get along” - they have to be quite strong to survive.

Most can be helped by medication, but, because the cause of the illness in unknown there is no cure. The medications often mask or reduce the symptoms, but do not remove them.

It should be noted here that doctors are often poorly informed about Cluster Headache Syndrome and misdiagnosis is very common. Some GPs are reluctant to prescribe certain drugs, even when they are known to be effective.

What can you do to help?

When an attack hits, there is nothing anyone can do, unless the sufferer requests help. The best thing is to stay well away. Afterwards, a quiet word is probably a good idea. You may find the sufferer will talk about what he goes through if you ask - he may appreciate the opportunity to explain. Sympathy will be appreciated, certainly, and, if you are working with someone, make sure that you do not give any reason for them to think that you blame them for the inconvenience they may have caused. Most will be keen to get on with things, and repay any efforts you have made to cover for them, if the nature of the work allows.

Things to avoid saying/doing

Most sufferers are happy to discuss how things affect them, and how you can best help them, but you will find your conversations very short if you say any of the following:

“I had one of those once” - no-one ever has one cluster headache

“My aunt has migraine too” - migraine is nothing like a CH.

“Can’t you just take a tablet and lie down?” - No is the answer, most sufferers cannot lie down during an attack.

“Just pull yourself together and work through it” - suggest that, and step back several paces!

This is not rudeness, but simply the result of experience. Sufferers know that sometimes it is simply better to ignore remarks such as these and leave the person in ignorance. If you have read this far, though, that probably doesn’t apply
to you!

More information

To learn more about this disorder, you may wish to visit the following links:

O.U.C.H.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

New England Center for Headaches

Cluster Headaches

Michigan Head/Pain & Neurological Institute

The National Headache Foundation

Thank you for supporting your friend. This can be a very frightening disease and your encouragement and understanding is an important and vital factor in helping to manage CH.

Original draft of this letter written by Simon Bower for
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2011 at 5:14pm by Brew »  

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #21 - Jul 22nd, 2011 at 10:48am

Twice I've had a KIP 10 tht lasted for hours and hours. The first I was far away from home and had drained my e tank. I screamed until I passed out. The second took me to the ER and the fool dr strapped me down and wanted to have a conversation on the relative merits of O2...in other words, he wouldn't give me any. I had a few things to say about the relative merits of his skill as an ER dr. Didn't help my cause. I just remember blackness...pain...and screams. Until my regular neuro came in and knocked me out with an IV cocktail including DHE45. No more tens, please. Blessings. lance

IP Logged

Headache Boy uk
CH.com Old Timer

Matthew ch 11 v 28

Mersea Island nr Colchester
Reply #22 - Jul 23rd, 2011 at 6:29am

George

Your description of a CH hit just made me shudder as the memories of my last cycle came flooding back , but a non CHer still wouldn't get it .

twinbee

not to mention all the above reasons for your idea not working , some of us get very photosensitive in a hit , so shining light into our eyes during a hit .....well it would be kinder to strik us with a sledge hammer.

Thank You for your thoughts

God bless

Nigel

You can't speak a kind word too soon, For you never know how soon it will be too late.

Some people cause happyness wherever they go, others whenever they go

IP Logged

RichardN
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1|Crossville|USA,Tn
Reply #23 - Jul 23rd, 2011 at 5:21pm

George . . . excellent description of CH.

Brew . . . thanks for posting the "Colleague" letter.

Often remarked that CH pain is worse than childbirth or amputation.  I obviously can't reply to the former, but I do recall at least one female who stated that, "CH is worse than childbirth, but at least with childbirth you get a prize"

I can reply to amputation.  If you'll find the first pic of me (showing up at end of convention) . . .  pictures DO lie . . . I can't possibly be that ugly!, there's a "good" shot of my right hand, damaged in a construction accident in early 76' . . . lost middle finger, end of little finger, broke all fingers and thumb and one bone in palm of hand.  Two operations (second to re-break index finger, reposition and pin so I could hold a pen/pencil) and eight months of therapy.  Imagine placing your hand on an anvil and having it smashed with a sledge hammer . . . but I CAN still finger-pick a guitar (see 2nd pic Skyhawk5 took).   If you told me that if you could do that to me again and the CHs would stop for good . . .  sign me up.

Burn pain:   I, my daughter Heather (some of you met) and grandson suffer from a condition known as EB (Epidermolysis-bulosa, simplex)  There have been a couple of specials on the dystrophic form of this condition, one, "The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off",  about Tiger Kennedy (Ireland) who died from the condition, and another recently that I didn't see but wife did.  Those with the dystrophic version rarely live past their teens.  Simply put, the layers of our skin aren't "stuck" together normally, so minimal amounts of friction causes blisters very easily, especially hands and feet.  Minimal tasks (like hauling empty 02 tanks), I always wear insulated leather gloves.  I love flyfishing, but of course can't wear gloves for that . . . 1 1/2 hours of same will blister all surfaces the rod handle touches.  Have played guitar for 45 years (classical . . . pressure of steel strings can't handle), 20-30 min a day.  A three hour jam session and I can't hold it for a week.  It is a burning, blistering, often crippling pain . . . . and yes, CH is worse than that!

Richard

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
lastchantsranch  
IP Logged

gardengal
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|oskaloosa|USA||0|0|
Reply #24 - Jul 23rd, 2011 at 7:21pm

I gave birth and had an episiotomy and was stiched up without any pain meds. I'd do that every day rather than have a cluster.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!