Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
When to start increasing Verapamil (Read 1325 times)
jmc1106
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

When to start increasing Verapamil
Jul 8th, 2011 at 7:15pm

Back after 2-3/4 years! (on behalf of my husband) At what point after starting Verapamil (80 mg, 3 times daily) would an episodic patient want to think about starting to taper UP? I've printed out and appreciate the instructions on how to do this, but am wondering when to think about bumping it up. This dosage worked last time, but of course it is different every single time. It's been only two weeks, and the Verapamil currently has my husband so tired from lowering his blood pressure...I don't want to ask for an increase unless necessary. Thanks in advance!

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: When to start increasing Verapamil
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2011 at 8:06pm

When your doctor tells you it's okay.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2011 at 8:19pm

Might help to give the present dose 2-3 more weeks and see if the BP issue eases--body may adjust and react less strongly.

If not, then little option except to try another preventive.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (96 KB | 16 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

jmc1106
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2011 at 11:41pm

Thanks for the helpful advice Bob!

IP Logged

Peter B
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Boston, MA
Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 5:52pm

For what it's worth on my last cycle I ramped up - with close doc monitoring - to 940mg verapamil before it fully worked

IP Logged

Jester
CH.com Newbie

x0|Fairfield County|USA||0|0|
Reply #5 - Jul 24th, 2011 at 7:13am

IMO, it depends on the amount your trying to get to and how quickly you can tolerate it.  My doctor said that I could go to 2-2-2 as soon as possible.  I did 1-1-1 for a day then 1-1-2 the next, then 2-2-2 on the 3rd.

Sure I fall asleep FAST out after taking my nightly 2, but that's ok with me...!  I'm also not taking any other medications.  Just check with your doctor.
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2011 at 7:15am by Jester »  

IP Logged

jmc1106
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 2:57pm

After reading through more of the archives, we decided to try adding a can of Red Bull an hour before the usual mid-day hit...that did the trick without upping the Verapamil. He hasn't had a full-blown cluster since then (had been having them first thing in the morning, mid-day, and right after falling asleep). We ran out of Red Bull last weekend, and he did have some strong shadows all day...got some more RB and he's good now. I was always skeptical about that whole Red Bull thing, but it appears that it made the Verapamil more effective. He is feeling less lethargic now too, but still not exactly energetic. Still, a huge improvement!

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #7 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 3:16pm

That's good news!

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!